Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

New to DVD in Volume 5?

Poll

Of the shorts new to DVD in volume 5, which one do you anticipate the most?

Beer Barrel Polecats
Monkey Businessmen
Rhythm and Weep
Hold That Lion!
All Gummed Up
Pardon My Clutch
The Hot Scots

Offline falsealarms

Of the shorts new to DVD in volume 5, which one do you anticipate the most? Any reason why?

It seems like this set has the lowest number of "new to DVD" shorts, but that will probably pick back up again in subsequent sets.

Offline JazzBill

Of the shorts new to DVD in volume 5, which one do you anticipate the most? Any reason why?

It seems like this set has the lowest number of "new to DVD" shorts, but that will probably pick back up again in subsequent sets.
I picked "Hold Than Lion", not just because it has all three of the Howards in it. I think it has a pretty good story line too.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline OldFred

'Hold That Lion' for me. It's Curly's last appearance on film and it was a great way for him to go out on a high note.

ThumpTheShoes

"Hot Scots" gets the nod from me. This one was a favourite when I was very young, along with its counterpart, "Scotched in Scotland". Looking forward, "Scotched.." is one, I can tell you, that I also can't wait for on a future volume!

But, most importantly, I reeely wanna know if "Three Little Pirates" will be fully restored, without the familiar tramline scratches..

Offline locoboymakesgood

Pardon My Clutch and Ryhthm and Weep.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline busybuddy

I'm voting for Pardon My Clutch because it's one that you don't think about too often but it's really a good short.

Beer Barrel Polecats has been released on DVD, on the final Color collection.
I think Birdie will go for that!

xraffle

Yeah, I just noticed that and Fuelin' Around is not listed in the poll.

Offline Larry Larry

Anxious to see all of them.  I'm not even sure I've seen all of them.  But voted Hold That Lion for the novelty of all 4 together. 
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

xraffle

I guess I'm the only one that's looking forward to "All Gummed Up"

Offline falsealarms

I guess I'm the only one that's looking forward to "All Gummed Up"

People may have gotten their fix for that short via BUBBLE TROUBLE?

Offline luke795

In Booty And The Beast 1953 the same footage with Curly from Hold That Lion is used so Booty And The Beast could be counted as Curly's last short.

Offline OldFred

In Booty And The Beast 1953 the same footage with Curly from Hold That Lion is used so Booty And The Beast could be counted as Curly's last short.

Taking into consideration that Curly died in 1952, the footage was perhaps re-used as a final tribute to him.

Offline busybuddy

Does Hold That Lion hold the record for most used stock footage for the Stooges? Because it was used to make Loose Loot, Booty and The Beast, and the filing cabinet scene was reused in Tricky Dicks.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Does Hold That Lion hold the record for most used stock footage for the Stooges? Because it was used to make Loose Loot, Booty and The Beast, and the filing cabinet scene was reused in Tricky Dicks.
I couldn't presume to answer that question for sure but I think the pie fight footage from Half Wits Holiday is also a contender for that distinction.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

AmalgamatedMoron

Yes, and why is anybody's guess?  The only good thing about those color sets (I own 3 of 4) was that just like the new "Collection" releases, Sony had restored these in Hi-Def.  And they offered them in B&W as well.  So you could watch a few shorts in the excellent condition that they are now available, but back then before we knew they would be releasing the entire catalog, fully restored, and in chronological order.

BBP is not one of the better shorts.  IMO, it was sloppily edited - and strung together with footage from other shorts.  Why Sony chose to do this short on the color sets--which provided a whooping total of 16 shorts--is beyond my speculation.

BTW, I have always loved Rhythm and Weep.  As a child I loved how Curly pulls a hammer and nails from nowhere, and tacks his shoes to the edge of the building when they are about to jump.  That always tickled me, if not make me wonder why he was carrying those around in the first place.  :laugh:

Offline archiezappa

I voted for "Rhythm And Weep."  I can't wait to see Gloria Patrice, Nita Bieber and Ruth Godfrey dancing around in high-definition!

AmalgamatedMoron

I voted for "Rhythm And Weep."  I can't wait to see Gloria Patrice, Nita Bieber and Ruth Godfrey dancing around in high-definition!

That's great archie.  I voted for R&W too.  Finally, a man with good taste.  Or at least an eye for beautiful dames!  As Shemp said in WHO DONE IT?, and FOR CRIMIN' OUT LOUD - "The niece is nice".  [love10]

Offline Larry Larry

Not to nitpick, because the shorts do look good, but they won't be dancing around in high definition until these film shorts are re-released on BluRay.

The current collection may have been remastered in HD, but the films are then down-converted from HD to standard definition video and released on standard definition DVD.  They are not HD.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Really? You know that Sony made high-definition masters of the shorts and just downgraded them for DVD? Where did you hear that?
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Larry Larry

Really? You know that Sony made high-definition masters of the shorts and just downgraded them for DVD? Where did you hear that?

That's not what I said.  I said they down-converted the HD video to standard definition video in order to put it on a DVD. 

Thats what Sony, or any other company with HD source video, has to do in order to put it on a DVD.  While BluRay and DVD may seem to look the same, they are not. They are totally different. 

DVD is for Standard Definition video.  BluRay is for High Definition video (but can hold standard definition video too, though there's not much need or demand for that).

Currently, BluRay is the only way companies are releasing HD material on a disc.

xraffle

DVD is for Standard Definition video.  BluRay is for High Definition video (but can hold standard definition video too, though there's not much need or demand for that).

Currently, BluRay is the only way companies are releasing HD material on a disc.

From what I’m reading, it looks like it’s taking a while for Blu-ray to be successful. If it continues down this road, it will probably be a flop. The price per disc is still ridiculously high ($30 a movie). It’s funny how many people today are buying HDTVs, but are not bothering with Blu-ray players. I think the main reason is cost. Why pay $30 for a BD movie when you can buy that same exact movie for half the price on DVD?

xraffle

Yes, and why is anybody's guess?  The only good thing about those color sets (I own 3 of 4) was that just like the new "Collection" releases, Sony had restored these in Hi-Def.  And they offered them in B&W as well.  So you could watch a few shorts in the excellent condition that they are now available, but back then before we knew they would be releasing the entire catalog, fully restored, and in chronological order.

What's funny is that these chronological sets look better than the B&W prints used in the colorized DVDs.

Offline falsealarms

From what I’m reading, it looks like it’s taking a while for Blu-ray to be successful. If it continues down this road, it will probably be a flop. The price per disc is still ridiculously high ($30 a movie). It’s funny how many people today are buying HDTVs, but are not bothering with Blu-ray players. I think the main reason is cost. Why pay $30 for a BD movie when you can buy that same exact movie for half the price on DVD?

http://www.dvdfile.com/article/blu-ray-disc-exceeds-expectations-13103

AmalgamatedMoron

What's funny is that these chronological sets look better than the B&W prints used in the colorized DVDs.

Really X?  The colorized dvd's claim that each short has been, "painstakingly restored from the original negative". Something not claimed for the new sets.  Both the new sets and the colorized dvd's are described as being "Remastered in High Definition".  Perhaps this is the same thing as the "restoration" mentioned above. 

You can definitely tell a difference in the quality of the B&W prints on the colorized dvd's, and the old "themed" releases.  However, I cannot discern a difference in quality between the new sets and the B&W prints on the colorized dvd's (although I haven't watched a short on one of the colorized dvd's in a while).

Do you have any screen captures comparing the new sets and the B&W prints on the colorized dvd's?  Like you have done in the past between the old "themed" dvd's and the new chronological sets. 

If you could provide an example that would be great.  Thanks X,  Paul  ;)

AmalgamatedMoron

Not to nitpick, because the shorts do look good, but they won't be dancing around in high definition until these film shorts are re-released on BluRay.

Honestly, can we say there would be a discernable difference in quality between the new sets and any "Blu-Ray" transfer (which will never happen anyway)?  Don't you have to consider the source as well?  Not just the new technology?  I would bet that the quality given to us by these new sets is as good as it can possibly get.  I don't see how BR could improve upon these new sets; given the old, worn, analog source material that they would have to work with.

Someone once said:  "You can't polish a turd".  But hell, these are damn good looking turds!  [2funny]