Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Future releases = widescreen?

Offline metaldams

OK, what I'm about to bring up wouldn't be an issue until volume 7, (specifically starting with SPOOKS!), but do you think there's a chance the later shorts will be presented in widescreen format?  1953 is when widescreen became standard, and from my unerstanding, the Stooge shorts were no exception.  I just thought this should be brought up in advance, because who knows, maybe some Sony representative is reading this.

Also, as somebody who's not an expert on this subject, how were the stock footage shorts handled in terms of aspect ratio when shown in theaters?  The older footage obviously wasn't shot for widescreen, so was it possible to make the older footage fit the widescreen format?  I hope I'm phrasing my question clearly.

- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

Also, as somebody who's not an expert on this subject, how were the stock footage shorts handled in terms of aspect ratio when shown in theaters?  The older footage obviously wasn't shot for widescreen, so was it possible to make the older footage fit the widescreen format?  I hope I'm phrasing my question clearly.

I think they just cropped the top and bottom parts of the picture. I could be wrong, but I do know that this was an issue with the "Stop, Look, and Laugh" DVD.

Offline archiezappa

I agree that they should be presented in the original aspect ratio.  This will start with Volume 7.  I'm still concerned about "Spooks" and "Pardon My Backfire" being in 3-D.  They were originally released in 2-D and 3-D, if I understand correctly.  Both versions should be on the set.  Perhaps as an option of which version you want to watch.  Also, a few pairs of 3-D glasses should come with the set.  This would be an excellent selling point, if they'll do it.

They've done us right with the Stooges, so far.  I sincerely hope that they will continue to make our dreams come true.   ;)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... as somebody who's not an expert on this subject, how were the stock footage shorts handled in terms of aspect ratio when shown in theaters?  The older footage obviously wasn't shot for widescreen, so was it possible to make the older footage fit the widescreen format?

From Bob Furmanek, an expert on the subject...
http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=1742.msg16350#msg16350

Offline metaldams