Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Volume 5 1946-1948, March 17

booklover · 180 · 46692

Linked Events

• Stooges Coll Vol. 5 1946-1948: March 17, 2009 - March 23, 2009

Offline booklover

Nobody in their right mind is buying VHS tapes of old movies these days. 

Whoa...hold it a minute, my friend. I still buy used VHS tapes. I realized there are a lot of classic comedies I want that will probably never be released on dvd (Cold Turkey, Who's Minding the Mint, General Spanky). So it's either get them on vhs or don't have them at all. And many of these videos carry a hefty price tag; apparently the demand is still there.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Whoa...hold it a minute, my friend. I still buy used VHS tapes. I realized there are a lot of classic comedies I want that will probably never be released on dvd (Cold Turkey, Who's Minding the Mint, General Spanky). So it's either get them on vhs or don't have them at all. And many of these videos carry a hefty price tag; apparently the demand is still there.

That's an excellent point, booklover (and welcome to the site, btw!)  I can give you the perfect example:  Under The Rainbow, starring Chevy Chase and Carrie Fisher.  It's never been released on DVD, and the VHS has been out of print for years.  The tape is available from third-party sellers on Amazon.com, but they aren't cheap.  As of this moment, there are two copies offered as New which are going for $109.95 and $139.95, eleven used ranging from $28 to $100, and two former rental copies listed as "Collectible" (for some reason) that are priced at $40 and $49.95.

Offline booklover

Thanks, DunRobin! Another example are the "Blondie" films which were released on dvd years back. I foolishly didn't get them when I had the chance, si UI had to buy all of them used on A

Offline metaldams

I agree with you there.  If there's a special market for a film that won't likely make the DVD market, I'd buy an old VHS tape as well.

I just don't think people would buy Stooge tapes, or 99% of other things on VHS, since they are so readily available on DVD.  That's what I meant and should've chose my wording better.  Welcome to the site.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
VideoETA.com lists "The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 5 1946-1948" for release on March 17, 2009. This is still unconfirmed, pending an official press release from Sony Home Entertainment...

The Three Stooges Collection Volume 5 1946-1948

Offline BeatleShemp

Well, March 17 would be a great date:  First collection with Shemp released on Shemp's birthday.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

That's the way to start the year off right !!!!  I can't wait !!!!!  [3stooges]

Offline curlysdame

Awesome!  I'm interested to see what will be done with the cover art concerning the Curly-to-Shemp transition.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline FineBari3

Well, March 17 would be a great date:  First collection with Shemp released on Shemp's birthday.

I thought that too...then remembered, is that really his birthday??

Anyway, it is great they are coming out soon!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline OldFred

I think the best picture to feature on the cover of vol. 5 would be the one from 'Hold That Lion' that has all three Howard Brothers together for the only time in a Three Stooges short.

Offline archiezappa

I think the best picture to feature on the cover of vol. 5 would be the one from 'Hold That Lion' that has all three Howard Brothers together for the only time in a Three Stooges short.

That would be the best picture for the cover art.  The short "Hold That Lion" is on this set.  And, since the set crosses over from Curly to Shemp, it would be appropriate to have both of them on the cover.  So, why not both of them in the same picture on the cover.  I like that better than having a picture of three of them and a picture of Shemp tacked on in the lower right hand corner.  I always thought that the sets that were done like that looked tacky.  Kinda like a last minute paste-over or something.

Offline falsealarms

Glad to see this, but this is probably the least appealing set so far.

1946 is likely Curly's worst year and neither 1947 or 1948 represent my favorite Shemp years. In fact, they may be my least favorite Shemp years (outside of the fake Shemp era). I'm partial to the 1950-1952 period. That said, I'm definitely buying it just to be a completist. I'll be much more excited about the next years in line, though.

Offline archiezappa

I agree that this was a rocky point in their careers.  Losing Curly, one of the greatest comedians, was a major blow.  Then, Shemp was just starting over being a Stooge.  He did not hit his stride until 1950 or 1951.  I also believe this to be the reason the Joe Besser shorts are so looked down upon.  The Stooges did not have enough time to really hit their stride with Besser.  He quit too soon.  I do believe that the Stooges hit their stride with Curly-Joe about the time they made their third feature with him: "Three Stooges Meet Hercules."

Offline Stooges#1

Fantastic news. Video Eta havent been wrong with the first 4 volumes so im guessing that is the release date.

This will be bought along with Married With Children S10 also being released on March 17th. Obviously its still early days and no specs etc are finalised but the length of the dvd that Video Eta have got does not seem right, 225 minutes.

Anyway great news. March 17 is the day we will all own Curly in Chronological order on DVD.  [cool]

Offline locoboymakesgood

088 Beer Barrel Polecats
089 A Bird in the Head
090 Uncivil War Birds
091 The Three Troubledoers
092 Monkey Businessmen
093 Three Loan Wolves
094 G.I. Wanna Home
095 Rhythm and Weep
096 Three Little Pirates

097 Half-Wits Holiday (Final Curly Short)

Beginning of Shemp Era
098 Fright Night
099 Out West
100 Hold That Lion! (Curly Howard in a cameo)
101 Brideless Groom
102 Sing a Song of Six Pants
103 All Gummed Up

104 Shivering Sherlocks
105 Pardon My Clutch
106 Squareheads of the Round Table
107 Fiddlers Three
108 The Hot Scots
109 Heavenly Daze *
110 I'm a Monkey's Uncle
111 Mummy's Dummies
112 Crime on Their Hands

Bolded Title = New to DVD
*Heavenly Daze, although not in the public domain, was released on the Three Stooges: Extreme Rarities DVD, which was not an official Sony release
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

MONEY BUSINESSMEN and THREE LITTLE PIRATES strike me as two shorts that need a lot of work done to them. I seem to call their picture quality being especially bad.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
While not the strongest chronological set of the Shemp era overall I do think there are quite a few gems here. I love Fright Night, Hold That Lion!, Brideless Groom, Six Pants, Sherlocks, Heavenly Daze and Uncle. The Shemps do salvage what is otherwise a weak set considering we are starting with Beer Barrel and getting a lot of the shorts with Curly at a point where he's so ill it's hard not to watch these without cringing. I would have to put my least favorite Shemp towards the end of his run, when he was sick and of course when he died and we got the Shemp A.D.s. Otherwise I do agree with you, overall from a quality standpoint this is probably the weakest volume so far, but it will definitely get better with the next two or so.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Justin T

This is very good news, thanks for posting Brent. Now we just have to wait for Sony
to give the official press release.

I also agree with the statement that this set will be pretty weak since its the final batch
of Curly shorts were he's so sick its painful to watch most of them. The only one from that
period I like is Three Little Pirates.

Not all the early Shemp's are his best but like Shemps#1 said there are some real gems in this set like
Brideless Groom, Fright Night, Sing a Song of Six Pants, and Heavenly Daze.
I also really love some of the 48 shorts like Squareheads of the Round Table, The Hot Scots,
Mummies Dummies and Crime on their Hands.

So Vol 5 may start out very weak it ends on a good note, I can't wait for the next volume after this cause
alot of Shemp's best shorts come later.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline falsealarms

Of those 1946 Curly's, G.I WANNA HOME, A BIRD IN THE HEAD, and MONKEY BUSINESSMEN are the best of the lot for me. I'm in the minority as far as not being too fond of THREE LITTLE PIRATES.

Offline metaldams

I enjoy all the Shemp shorts in this volume, some more than others, but agree the late 40's - early 50's were the best Shemps.  Stil, this is a great batch of Shemps in their own right.  I can't wait to finally see a good print of I'M A MONKEY'S UNCLE.  I've always loved that short, but every print I've seen looks like a beat up 16MM.

As for the Curlys, they're all interesting, most have a few good moments, THREE LITTLE PIRATES is actually good, but overall, yeah, they're a drag.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Stooges#1

Its been announced on classic flix.

**Sony** has scheduled a March 17th release date for The Three Stooges Collection, Vol. 5 (1946 - 1948).

http://www.classicflix.com/three-stooges-march-special-price-a-396.html?osCsid=959e70f0e1b974f6a67513a67b1498e9

That pretty much confirms it.

chad2411

It was me, all me.  I made Sony break and release #5, they were waiting  to sell one more copy.. LOL.. I just bought the first 4 and am waiting patiently for their arrival.  I cant wait!!!

xraffle

This is great news. There are about only two Curly shorts that are good and they are "A Bird In The Head" and "Three Little Pirates." The rest are painful to watch.

As for the Shemp, I may have to disagree with some of you. I think this set contains some great shorts such as: Hold That Lion, Sing a Song of Six Pants, All Gummed Up, Shivering Sherlocks, Fiddlers Three, Heavenly Daze and Crime on their Hands (which is one of my favorites, btw). The weak ones will come later on, when we get to the Joe Palma ones. [sick]

Offline archiezappa

I think this set is worth every penny just to have a remastered version of Larry calling Moe "Ol' Skunk Bait!"

But seriously, my favorite Curly shorts on this set are:  "Rhythm And Weep" and "Three Little Pirates."

My favorite Shemp shorts on this set are:  "Brideless Groom," "Heavenly Daze" and "I'm A Monkey's Uncle."

Offline booklover

I kinda like "Beer Barrel Polecats," I think it's pretty good, until they wind up in jail and then it's basically stock footage.

CURLY: You'se is both crazy....I put the yeast in!
STOOGES (all together) We all put the yeast in!
LOL!