Volume 5 1946-1948, March 17

booklover · 180 · 46002

Linked Events

• Stooges Coll Vol. 5 1946-1948: March 17, 2009 - March 23, 2009

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Not exactly news by this point, but Sony sent out the press release today. Package art coming soon.

Larry, Moe and Curly Make Their Return to DVD

THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION Volume Five: 1946 - 1948

25 “Fan Requested” Digitally-Remastered Shorts,
are Arranged Chronologically and Packaged in a Two-Disc DVD

AVAILABLE ON MARCH 17

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (January 13, 2009) – The Three Stooges goof their way back onto DVD March 17th when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment launches The Three Stooges Collection Volume Five: 1946-1948. The notorious trio of buffoons continue tickling funny bones worldwide in 25 “fan requested” short films, now digitally remastered and chronologically organized, with such favorites as A Bird in the Head, Brideless Groom and I’m a Monkey’s Uncle! This collection also features one 1947 short starring Larry, Curly, and it marks the return of Shemp Howard as part of the Three Stooges. The fifth volume in this tremendously popular series will be available in a two-disc DVD for $24.96 SRP.

The Three Stooges are one of the most influential screen comedy teams of the 20th century and have been an inspiration to generations of comics that followed. Following their start in vaudeville, the trio’s film career began in the early 1930s, reached its slapstick peak during their tenure at Columbia Pictures (1934-1957) and lasted well into the 1950s. After their initial retirement, they were rediscovered by an enthusiastic new generation through the medium of television and have surpassed all their contemporaries in terms of lasting popularity.

The Three Stooges Collection Volume Five: 1946 – 1948 episodes include:

Beer Barrel Polecats
A Bird in the Head
Uncivil Warbirds
Three Troubledoers
Monkey Businessmen
Three Loan Wolves
G.I Wanna Home
Rhythm and Weep
Three Little Pirates
Half-Wits’ Holiday
Fright Night
Out West
Hold that Lion
Brideless Groom
Sing a Song of Six Pants
All Gummed Up
Shivering Sherlocks
Pardon My Clutch
Squareheads of the Round Table
Fiddlers Three
The Hot Scots
Heavenly Daze
I’m a Monkey’s Uncle
Mummy’s Dummies
Crime on Their Hands

DVD Features Include:
· Full Screen Presentations
· Audio: English (Mono)

The Three Stooges Collection Volume Five: 1946 – 1948 has a run time of approximately 426 minutes and is not rated. Artwork is available at Welcome to SPHE Connect. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at Sony Pictures.

DVD Catalog # 30304
UPC Code: 0-43396-30304-1
Order Date: 2/12/09
SLP: $24.96

Offline Stooges#1

The cover -art

Um, not exactly what everyone was expecting but it keeps with the theme of the first 4 volumes. Shemp can get his full size picture on volume 6.

xraffle

Thanks mate! ;)

I have to say “G.I. Wanna Home” is the worst short to have on the front cover. “Hold That Lion” would’ve been better. Well, at least they added Shemp’s picture there.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Thanks mate! ;)

I have to say “G.I. Wanna Home” is the worst short to have on the front cover. “Hold That Lion” would’ve been better. Well, at least they added Shemp’s picture there.

It looks as though they did use the shot from Hold That Lion, just not as the main picture for the volume.  It's on the right side, next to Curly in the main picture.

Offline Justin T

Not bad, wish they had used the photo from Hold That Lion! instead, but at least it's
on the cover on the left side.

At least Shemp's picture and pictures from his shorts in the set are on the cover also.

Thanks for posting it Stooges#1
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Not bad, wish they had used the photo from Hold That Lion! instead, but at least it's
on the cover on the left side.

What an ignore-a-moose!  He don't know his left from his right!   [pie]

When I say "Go!" we'll both point to the right.  Ready?  Go!   [poke]

Offline falsealarms

They're going to milk Curly as long as they can. This being the last time they can feature him on the cover. At least Shemp gets some real estate... wonder what they use for the 49-51 years?

Offline Larry Larry

They're going to milk Curly as long as they can. This being the last time they can feature him on the cover. At least Shemp gets some real estate... wonder what they use for the 49-51 years?

And you know, from a marketing aspect, it's not a bad idea.  Let those casual shoppers buy it because of Curly's picture, but they'll be introduced to the comedic talent of Shemp too, and they'll enjoy those films.   There are some great Shemp shorts on this collection.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline Justin T

What an ignore-a-moose!  He don't know his left from his right!   [pie]

When I say "Go!" we'll both point to the right.  Ready?  Go!   [poke]

Yikes, My brain must be scambled today. I deserve that pie in the face,
thanks Dunrobin  [pie]
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline moglia

Regardless of the artwork, I'm ecstatic Vol 5 has been announced.  :D  ;D I was worried these great sets would not extend into the Shemp era.  Now to pre-order...

Offline JazzBill

I'm really looking forward to Volume 5 myself. I've been playing the hell out of the first four volumes and I'm getting tired of Curly all the time. It will be a nice change to get some good quality Shemp shorts in the mix.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

xraffle

I'm really looking forward to Volume 5 myself. I've been playing the hell out of the first four volumes and I'm getting tired of Curly all the time. It will be a nice change to get some good quality Shemp shorts in the mix.

I agree. Even though I like Curly more than Shemp, it can be tiresome to watch his shorts only. I always like alternating between the two. They both have their own unique way of being funny.

Then after the Shemp volumes come out, people will get tired of watching Curly and Shemp, so they’ll be anxiously awaiting for the Besser volumes. ;D

Offline OldFred

Though it's featured is some form on the cover, it's too bad they didn't use the picture I suggested instead. It's a much better picture of Curly and does have Shemp in it.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
And you know, from a marketing aspect, it's not a bad idea.  Let those casual shoppers buy it because of Curly's picture, but they'll be introduced to the comedic talent of Shemp too, and they'll enjoy those films.   There are some great Shemp shorts on this collection.

Casual shoppers aren't going to buy these volumes, much less start with volume 5.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Larry Larry

Casual shoppers aren't going to buy these volumes, much less start with volume 5.

Some will.  You might be surprised.  I work in professional film, television & DVD production and have a great deal of experience with entertainment and retail product.

xraffle

Some will.  You might be surprised.  I work in professional film, television & DVD production and have a great deal of experience with entertainment and retail product.

I can see where you’re coming from. Though, it would be weird for casual fans, especially the Curly fans, to buy Volume 5, but not the others. Volume 5 has the weakest set of Curly shorts. But yeah, I see your point. I’m a casual fan of Looney Tunes and bought Volumes 1 and 3 only of the Golden Collection. So, casual fans do buy these sets especially if they see them on sale for a good price. With these sets, I would say no more than 5% of the buyers are casual fans. So the front cover having Shemp or Curly’s picture isn’t going to boost or hurt sales significantly in my opinion. Though, you may be surprised. I know a few casual stooge fans that like Shemp better than Curly, but then again, they're not planning on buying these sets. So, while there are some casual fans out there that do buy these sets, like I said, it's only an extremely small number that buy them.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The only "casual buyers" that I can possibly see buying a random volume of a major set would be people who are buying gifts for Stooges fans that might not know better. I don't think that there are a significant number "casual buyers" who will randomly pick up Volume 5 because Curly is on the cover. Also, the sight of Shemp on the cover probably get a "casual buyer" on the fence to put Volume 5 down and pick up Volume 1.

These sets, whether they be Stooges or television series', are for hardcore fans. The thought that "casual buyers" are going to ignorantly buy these in large numbers because Curly is on the cover is asinine.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

The next volume will be an exciting one because, assuming it will cover years 1949-1951, it contains some of best Shemp shorts. And if Sony does release Volume 6, it is safe to say that they're really serious about releasing all the shorts. Volume 6 is where we will see a bunch of rare Shemp shorts such as Hugs and Mugs, Love at First Bite, Self-Made Maids, Three Hams on Rye, and Slaphappy Sleuths. So, I'm hoping the next volume will be released before the summer. But I think I'm looking too much into the future. Let's concentrate now on Volume 5 and be happy that Shemp is finally coming out on DVD. ;D

xraffle

The only "casual buyers" that I can possibly see buying a random volume of a major set would be people who are buying gifts for Stooges fans that might not know better. I don't think that there are a significant number "casual buyers" who will randomly pick up Volume 5 because Curly is on the cover. Also, the sight of Shemp on the cover probably get a "casual buyer" on the fence to put Volume 5 down and pick up Volume 1.

These sets, whether they be Stooges or television series', are for hardcore fans. The thought that "casual buyers" are going to ignorantly buy these in large numbers because Curly is on the cover is asinine.

That's true. Sony wouldn't have added that picture of Shemp on the bottom right of the cover if it were aiming the set at casual fans. They know that stooge fans are anxiously awaiting the Shemp shorts, so that's why they added Shemp's picture in.

Offline falsealarms

The next volume will be an exciting one because, assuming it will cover years 1949-1951, it contains some of best Shemp shorts. And if Sony does release Volume 6, it is safe to say that they're really serious about releasing all the shorts. Volume 6 is where we will see a bunch of rare Shemp shorts such as Hugs and Mugs, Love at First Bite, Self-Made Maids, Three Hams on Rye, and Slaphappy Sleuths. So, I'm hoping the next volume will be released before the summer. But I think I'm looking too much into the future. Let's concentrate now on Volume 5 and be happy that Shemp is finally coming out on DVD. ;D

I agree completely. On the excitement scale, volume 5 ranks last of the ones done so far. 1949-1951 and 1952-1954 would be highly anticipated. For me, they are the best of Shemp, and as you pointed out, many of those haven't seen the light of day in years.

I don't think any of these have been released on DVD. It's even hard to find a VHS copy of some them, but really, who uses VHS nowadays?

# Scotched in Scotland (1954) .... McShemp
# Shot in the Frontier (1954) .... Shemp
# Knutzy Knights (1954) .... Shemp
# Pals and Gals (1954) .... Shemp
# Musty Musketeers (1954) .... Shempeth
# Income Tax Sappy (1954) .... Shemp
# Goof on the Roof (1953) .... Shemp
# Rip, Sew and Stitch (1953) .... Shemp Pip
# Pardon My Backfire (1953) .... Shemp
# Tricky Dicks (1953) .... Shemp
# Loose Loot (1953) .... Shemp
# Booty and the Beast (1953) .... Shemp
# Up in Daisy's Penthouse (1953) .... Shemp
# Cuckoo on a Choo-Choo (1952) .... Shemp
# Gents in a Jam (1952) .... Shemp
# He Cooked His Goose (1952) .... Shemp
# Corny Casanovas (1952) .... Shemp
# A Missed Fortune (1952) .... Shemp
# Pest Man Wins (1951) .... Shemp
# Scrambled Brains (1951) .... Shemp
# Don't Throw That Knife (1951) (as Shemp) .... Shemp
# Baby Sitters' Jitters (1951) .... Shemp
# Slap Happy Sleuths (1950) .... Shemp
# Studio Stoops (1950) .... Shemp
# Self Made Maids (1950) .... Shemp / Shempetta
# Love at First Bite (1950) .... Shemp
# Hugs and Mugs (1950) .... Shemp
# Dunked in the Deep (1949) .... Shemp
# Fuelin' Around (1949) .... Shemp

So many great ones there.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Yeah, those will all be new to DVD. It'll be nice to see them remastered!
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Larry Larry

Well, I didn't say anything about people ignorantly buying this in large numbers.  So I would politely suggest you are not calling me asinine.

What I commented on was that it wasn't a bad marketing strategy for Sony to include Curly's picture prominently.   

Offline Justin T

I agree completely. On the excitement scale, volume 5 ranks last of the ones done so far. 1949-1951 and 1952-1954 would be highly anticipated. For me, they are the best of Shemp, and as you pointed out, many of those haven't seen the light of day in years.

I don't think any of these have been released on DVD. It's even hard to find a VHS copy of some them, but really, who uses VHS nowadays?

# Scotched in Scotland (1954) .... McShemp
# Shot in the Frontier (1954) .... Shemp
# Knutzy Knights (1954) .... Shemp
# Pals and Gals (1954) .... Shemp
# Musty Musketeers (1954) .... Shempeth
# Income Tax Sappy (1954) .... Shemp
# Goof on the Roof (1953) .... Shemp
# Rip, Sew and Stitch (1953) .... Shemp Pip
# Pardon My Backfire (1953) .... Shemp
# Tricky Dicks (1953) .... Shemp
# Loose Loot (1953) .... Shemp
# Booty and the Beast (1953) .... Shemp
# Up in Daisy's Penthouse (1953) .... Shemp
# Cuckoo on a Choo-Choo (1952) .... Shemp
# Gents in a Jam (1952) .... Shemp
# He Cooked His Goose (1952) .... Shemp
# Corny Casanovas (1952) .... Shemp
# A Missed Fortune (1952) .... Shemp
# Pest Man Wins (1951) .... Shemp
# Scrambled Brains (1951) .... Shemp
# Don't Throw That Knife (1951) (as Shemp) .... Shemp
# Baby Sitters' Jitters (1951) .... Shemp
# Slap Happy Sleuths (1950) .... Shemp
# Studio Stoops (1950) .... Shemp
# Self Made Maids (1950) .... Shemp / Shempetta
# Love at First Bite (1950) .... Shemp
# Hugs and Mugs (1950) .... Shemp
# Dunked in the Deep (1949) .... Shemp
# Fuelin' Around (1949) .... Shemp

So many great ones there.

Yes, alot of great Shemp shorts are coming up in the next 2 Volumes. Some of those Shemps were put on VHS in the
5 Volume Three Stooges Collection from Goodtimes Video. I have all 5 still in my room. I cant wait to see some of these
restored like Slaphappy Sleuths, Trick Dicks, Studio Stoops, Fuelin' Around, Three Hams on Rye to name a few.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline falsealarms

Yes, alot of great Shemp shorts are coming up in the next 2 Volumes. Some of those Shemps were put on VHS in the
5 Volume Three Stooges Collection from Goodtimes Video. I have all 5 still in my room. I cant wait to see some of these
restored like Slaphappy Sleuths, Trick Dicks, Studio Stoops, Fuelin' Around, Three Hams on Rye to name a few.

I remember those videos. I had a few of them back in the day. Bringing back memories there... those ones had nice cover art with M/L/S peering out from the side of the wall.

Offline Stooges#1

It looks like Amazon.com havent learned from their first mistake. They sold volume 4 for $21.99 and when people complained about it after the release, Amazon reimbused everyone $5 becuase we all assumed the set would be $16.99 like the first 3 volumes. Well, right now volume 5 is sitting on $22.49, they can do it again.