Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Rare Columbia Short: Harry Langdon COLD TURKEY (1940)

Offline metaldams

2reelers has delivered again! He just posted this one today.  I've been waiting for years to see a Langdon Columbia, and I think I remember the COLUMBIA COMEDY SHORTS book saying this is the best one.  Haven't watched it yet, but I will later tonight or tomorrow morning and will comment.  Hope the rest of you enjoy.

Part 1

[youtube=425,350]uznTf-A6GRI[/youtube]

Part 2

[youtube=425,350]nynlHV_QHyU[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline 2reelers

I was just swinging by to make the announcement that I posted COLD TURKEY. Right now I am uploading PARDON MY TERROR, the short originally written for Moe, Larry and Curly, but turned over to Gus Schilling and Dick Lane, two others on the Columbia Shorts Department payroll.

Glad everyone is enjoying this stuff!

Offline metaldams

Great short!  The great thing about this short is sound took nothing away from Langdon's character.  That little hand wave, the herky jerky movements, talking to inanimate objects (or himself in the mirror)........classic Langdon.  The premise about the turkey in the raffle was lifted from Harold Lloyd's HOT WATER, but the gags around it are totally different.  I'd put this one up comfortably with any of the Stooge shorts from the early 40's.  Great pacing, gags, cast, and a strong comic lead.  Prime Del Lord.

Great Bud Jamison stuff again, and Monte Collins was better in this one.  Again, he wasn't carrying the short as a star, and that's when he's best.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

The first part began slowly but picked up as it progressed... the phone scene with Eddie Laughton was very good.

The second part was excellent and the scene where Langdon was trying to stuff a live turkey in the fridge was a highlight for me. Monte Collins shouting and pointing "maniac!" was funny. The chasing at the end was played very well by Langdon and Collins, with Collins thinking Langdon was out to kill him when he was really out to kill the turkey.

It's a solid offering, but I wouldn't rank it with the classic Stooge shorts.

Appreciate these uploads.

Offline 2reelers

I have a 1933 Paramount short with Joseph Cawthorn called COLD TURKEY that is pretty much mirrors the Langdon version. Del Lord directed that one as well.

Glad everyone is enjoying these films!

Offline FineBari3

I am just getting into Langdon, and I find him so very strange!  He has little movements or subtle gestures that are just so silly!

Harry's style of yelling "Maniac!" reminded me of Dustin Hoffman going crazy in his agent's office in 'Tootsie', and a couple other of times in 'Rain Man'.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

I am just getting into Langdon, and I find him so very strange!  He has little movements or subtle gestures that are just so silly!

Your reaction to Langdon is anything but strange.  A lot of people feel the same way you do, he's not the most immediate comedian.

You're right though about all of his subtle gestures, that's why I always find him fascinating to watch.  Even when he's doing nothing, he's doing something. 
- Doug Sarnecky