Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Rare Columbia 2 reeler: New News (1937)

Offline falsealarms

Rare Kennedy/Collins Columbia short with many other familiar faces... and a plot eerily similar to CRASH GOES THE HASH, which was done years after this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138653/

PT 1

[youtube=425,350]pKpM3YsFkGE[/youtube]

PT 2

[youtube=425,350]kVixAor8iCs[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

Thanks for posting this!  I'll watch it tomorrow, but like I posted recently, I have a short from these two as a bonus feature on THE SAM KATZMAN COLLECTION.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline 2reelers

I uploaded that video.

I'm working on the second half of a Hugh Herbert short called "ONE SHIVERY NIGHT" right now. It's a very funny scare comedy with Dudley Dickerson. Hope you guys and gals enjoy the videos.

Offline metaldams

I uploaded that video.

I'm working on the second half of a Hugh Herbert short called "ONE SHIVERY NIGHT" right now. It's a very funny scare comedy with Dudley Dickerson. Hope you guys and gals enjoy the videos.

Thanks, and please keep us updated on these Columbia shorts, Stooge and non-Stooge.  Got any Langdon's?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

OK, watched it, and while NEW NEWS is definitely CRASH GOES THE HASH in plot and gags, it's nowhere near as funny.  Living proof that gags are only as funny as the comedians doing them.  Collins and Kennedy are decent, if not great as supporting players, but they're not strong enough to carry a film as leads.  The highlight of NEW NEWS is definitely Bud Jamison, great again in his role as the butler, except this time with more to do.

Definitely very interesting to watch, so I hope these Columbia Two Reelers keep coming!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline 2reelers

I do have Langdon Columbia's. Missing only 4 of the 21 shorts he did for the studio. Any requests?

Offline metaldams

I do have Langdon Columbia's. Missing only 4 of the 21 shorts he did for the studio. Any requests?

Whatever you think is the best one.  Have seen just about all his silent work, a couple of Educationals, an RKO, a Hal Roach, but never a Columbia short.  I'm a big Langdon fan, obviously, so anything would be appreciated.

By the way, you da man.  I've seen lots of shorts on youtube I've only read about because of you.  I know rare Columbia two reelers aren't exactly American Idol these days, but I just want to let you know somebody appreciates what you're doing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

NEW NEWS was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Collins is a lot better than Kennedy. Great collection of supporting actors.

Offline metaldams

NEW NEWS was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Collins is a lot better than Kennedy. Great collection of supporting actors.

I enjoy the two Collins and Kennedy shorts I've seen simply because I'm a seasoned Columbia shorts guy, just like everybody else here (OK, we have a few gals too).  It's very interesting to see other comedians in a setting similar to The Three Stooges, but I can also see why Collins and Kennedy didn't go over like Laurel and Hardy.

Monte Collins is OK, but I never found the guy that funny as a leading man.  He co-stars with Buster Keaton a few times in some Columbia shorts and like Jimmy Durante at MGM, really clashes with Buster's style.  Unlike Durante, Collins just does't have that memorable of a persona.  I like Collins best in small doses as Mama Stooge or Professor Bilbo.

Kennedy is just a big oaf of a character who like Collins, works best in small doses.  He's OK in SPOOKS and MONKEY BUSINESS as the ship captain, but again, he's not trying to carry any scenes.  Guys like Vernon Dent and Bud Jamison I and am sure several other Stooge fans would have loved to see star in their own shorts, but I doubt many of us have wondered about Collins and Kennedy.  I mean, even in NEW NEWS, Jamison owns that short, and he's just the butler.

MIDNIGHT BLUNDERS, the other short I've seen from these two, is slightly better.  There's a scene where they meow like a cat that works a bit better for their characters, but what's best about this shorts is the scenery, especially the scientist's lab, as well as the fact there's a monster!  Add to the fact there's a music soundtrack most of the time and you have a very different feel than most Stooge shorts.  Still, you can't help but wonder how Moe, Larry, and Curly would've done in this type of set up.  Great, I imagine.
- Doug Sarnecky