Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

For those of us who grew up in the 80's.

Offline metaldams

Let's have a retro 80's thread.  The good, the bad, the ugly.  I'll post the first few, feel free to add on.

Who remembers this show about the girl robot?

[youtube=425,350]ukSvjqwJixw[/youtube]

.......and the show that was my life in pre-school.

[youtube=425,350]JEsHUel04dY[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Why anybody would want to remember this shit is beyond me, but I'm no party pooper!

Here's an episode of Hulk Hogan's Rock 'N' Wrestling for you, titled "Gorilla My Dreams" (unfortunately not a Gorilla Monsoon reference):

[youtube=425,350]REqWmzlO60w[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]3qOrybT44PI[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]5x7uOOPkc58[/youtube]
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here is the Pac-Man cartoon show, episode titled "Here's Super-Pac":

[youtube=425,350]IH7d1G39Pd4[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]nK77xuh4Nr4[/youtube]
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Finally, even though is technically late 70's, it was airing in rerun on the USA Network's Cartoon Express in the early-mid 80's. Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics, episode "Morocco and D.C.":

[youtube=425,350]B8lXu15uy0Q[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]_JwZHqKskYE[/youtube]

I was all about the cartoons in the 80's...well for the most part anyway.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here's something else for you fellow 80's kids, Underoos!

[youtube=425,350]f33dJTbJVRE[/youtube]

Offline curlysdame

Cool clips.  Jeez, almost anything was made into a cartoon in the 80s (i.e. Pacman).  I definitely remember watching 'He-Man' when I was little, although they were most likely re-runs.  My two favorites, though, were 'The Smurfs' and 'Pee Wee's Playhouse.' 

Noticed an interesting connection with the 'Rock N' Wrestling' clip:  It's written by Jeffrey Scott, Joan Maurer's son.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics, episode "Morocco and D.C."

Originally aired 10/14/78

Noticed an interesting connection with the 'Rock N' Wrestling' clip:  It's written by Jeffrey Scott, Joan Maurer's son.

Another connection(s)...
Norman Maurer was a story editor for LAFF-A-LYMPICS, and Joan, Michael and Jeffrey received story credits on some of the episodes.

Offline metaldams

Hey toots, lay off, that's Brent's gig!   ;D  No, but seriously, that's cool, I really had no idea there was a Stooge connection with Rock 'n Wrestling.  I was about to post a clip from that show as well, but Jim beat me to it!  Nice finds, by the way.

Whenever I talk to late teen and early twenty somethings, they say they remember the "old days" of MTV when they had shows like the early episodes of THE REAL WORLD.  My comeback is I remember when they showed videos!  Well, being barely born in 1978, I don't remember the first few years of MTV, but I stumbled upon THIS gem from 1982.  It's some white afro dude interviewing....Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull!!!  Today, Tull and MTV are about as far apart as you can get, but back then, it appears MTV was shooting to be a serious music station.  I don't expect anybody to watch all nine minutes of this, but watch the first few minutes just to see what early MTV was striving for.  Of course, if you are a Tull fan, all five parts of this interview can be found on youtube.  Cribs this ain't.

[youtube=425,350]gprxHcTjchY[/youtube]

More stuff coming in a few minutes.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I hate to admit it, but I miss SLIPP, if just for this one thread.  I'll dedicate this post to him.

FRAGGLE ROCK!!!

[youtube=425,350]TSDeoO-j3G0[/youtube]

POLICE ACADEMY!!!

[youtube=425,350]NmA9exNYGSk[/youtube]

The Horsemen were forgiven after this.

[youtube=425,350]6_KCuwQrsmw[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Got to throw in a poodle hair metal video.  Ratt's "Round and Round," which is probably my favorite song of the genre.  For you fans of old TV, you should recognize the man at the head of the dinner table.  His career was almost as big as Ratt's!

[youtube=425,350]a5gMeXz2YMw[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Some of this footage is from the 90's (definitely the last one with a Forrest Gump reference), but this show started in 1987 and is the best comedy of the decade.  Married....With Children.  I believe the hot looking blonde in the first scene is Traci Lords, she had an interesting teen life in the 80's.  The third scene is beyond hysterical.

[youtube=425,350]y_ADNZYN35c[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I watched Married...With Children through its entire run and I'm not quite sure if it's held up well over time. One thing's for sure the show did run too long.

Offline locoboymakesgood

MWC is just as funny now as it was back then. What a classic show.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Sten

I hate to admit it, but I miss SLIPP, if just for this one thread.  I'll dedicate this post to him.

FRAGGLE ROCK!!!

[youtube=425,350]TSDeoO-j3G0[/youtube]

POLICE ACADEMY!!!

[youtube=425,350]NmA9exNYGSk[/youtube]

The Horsemen were forgiven after this.

[youtube=425,350]6_KCuwQrsmw[/youtube]

Ha!

I seem to remember Drjoe bringing up Fraggle Rock out of the blue one day when he was razzing Slipp for saying he liked Schoolhouse Rock (which was mostly produced and aired through the 70's, but continued airing throughout the 80's) and I think Slipp said he hated Fraggle Rock. There's tons of Schoolhouse Rock on youtube if you are interested. I wouldn't admit it back then with that sap around, but I liked Schoolhouse Rock as a kid too, and it's sorta nostalgic now. It wasn't your average cartoon show, but rather a series of likeable, if not exactly cool songs. Each one taught a lesson that you could learn in middle elementary school to junior high school. Here for instance, if I can get the fuckin' thing to show up in my post, is one sung by the Tokens (famous for the 1961 song: The Lion Sleeps Tonight) called: Victim of Gravity:

[youtube=425,350]HIJeZ4MIXgI[/youtube]

This is what Slipp probably liked as far as cartoons:

[youtube=425,350]wSU1Lvxy9Sk[/youtube]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 11:22:02 AM by shemps#1 »

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hey Sten, all you need to do for the youtube links is to put the youtube video id inbetween the youtube link blocks. For instance, all you needed for the first one was the "HIJeZ4MIXgI" part instead of the whole url.

Offline metaldams

Curlysdame mentioned this show earlier, and sure enough, this was a Saturday morning staple. 

[youtube=425,350]qp7G18nQxvU[/youtube]

....and this one's for Jim. 

[youtube=425,350]iDZHuGrFGY4[/youtube]

...and you'll grow six inches in one night!  Hindsight's 20/20.

[youtube=425,350]3QiSsQL-1W8[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... this show started in 1987 and is the best comedy of the decade.  Married....With Children. 

A matter of taste. MWC is funny, but the only time I've watched it since it left the air, is an occasional stop while channel surfing.  My choice for best comedy of the '80s is CHEERS, one of the few series from that decade I continue to enjoy in repeats and on DVD. Two choice episodes, one each from the "Diane" and "Rebecca" periods...

Pick a Con, Any Con
[youtube=425,350]wOM8_WLU7Fw[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]Vl__UZaPPw8[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]3T0SdJPXLYY[/youtube]

Breaking In Is Hard to Do
[youtube=425,350]N3H1ehlm0yc[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]1by1gt9-Awc[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]xi1kBxQGZVs[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

I agree, Cheers was a very good show, and Frasier, the off-shoot show from the 90's has held up very well too.
- Doug Sarnecky

Sten

Hey Sten, all you need to do for the youtube links is to put the youtube video id inbetween the youtube link blocks. For instance, all you needed for the first one was the "HIJeZ4MIXgI" part instead of the whole url.

Thanks, Jim! I think I'll try it.

As a follow-up to the great Cheers clips, here are some great moments from another great 80's sitcom: Night Court!

[youtube=425,350]OHSLvWQlq0M[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]hpobw6ccrYw[/youtube]

Hey, I did it!   :D

Offline metaldams

Yo Sten, I wanna e-mail you.  Are you still at hotmail or this "imyours" address e-mail in your profile legitimate.  I'm now dsarnecky @ yahoo.com (spaces intentional to avoid spammers).

Here's some of my favorite 80's music.

John Lennon "Just Like Starting Over."  1980, obviously.  A damn shame what happened, obviously.

[youtube=425,350]iAJ2AoEwDvY[/youtube]

The Kinks "Don't Forget To Dance" 1983  Very consistent band.  One of the few "60's bands" who made good music past the 70's.

[youtube=425,350]6ta118a0crk[/youtube]

Metallica "Master of Puppets."  Studio 1986, this live version 1989.  Arguably my favorite song ever.

[youtube=425,350]x5sXk5tHbqA[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Sten

Hotmail more or less kicked me out a while back! They changed how it works and said I needed another thing or 2 to get an account going again. So screw 'em! I might find something better someday but I don't get a lot of time to fool around.

I've always loved the Lennon song. Julian must have done a cover because I remember seeing him perform it on youtube... or am I just cracking up? This is my favorite song of Julian's... Valotte:

[youtube=425,350]NP4YHXnft1w&feature=related[/youtube]

As far as 1980's Kinks, the first song that always comes to my mind when I think of them is this one:

[youtube=425,350]vjkS3uxNW4Y&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

Love the Julian song.  He had some talent for sure, but it was damn near impossible for him to have a long term career on his own because of the novelty behind his looks and voice.  This past December, my grandmother died, and I was in a Burger King in Connecticut (unusual, as I usually avoid fast food places), while "Too Late For Goodbyes" was playing, appropriate for the time. 

It was driving me nuts because I couldn't figure out who it was, yet the first thought that came to my mind was, "Sounds like it should be a Beatles solo tune, even though it's not."

[youtube=425,350]Bj4ukVD5RNo[/youtube]

Oh, and speaking of Beatles solo tunes, this video was my first introduction to just about anything Beatle related, believe it or not.  Saw this on MTV constantly when it was in rotation.

[youtube=425,350]-_niy2ZM5Jo[/youtube]

Man, I think those Kinks videos must've been shot on the same day!  Look like it anyway.  Love both songs.
- Doug Sarnecky