Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Two things I noticed today while watching Volume 2

Offline busybuddy

I don't know if anyone else has noticed these, but they are new to me.

1. In Grips, Grunts, and Groans, after Curly falls over the ring, Moe says "Damn It!" while helping him up. (the subtitles even say so.)

2. During the "new hat" scene in 3 Dumb Clucks, you can clearly see the cut on Curly's head from his fall down the elevator shaft later in the film. (it comes near the end, but it wasn't filmed last)

I think Birdie will go for that!

ThumpTheShoes

1. In Grips, Grunts, and Groans, after Curly falls over the ring, Moe says "Damn It!" while helping him up. (the subtitles even say so.)

What he actually says, there, is "-amus!"-- as in, "You ignoramus!" Nice little editing casualty, there.

Offline JazzBill

What he actually says, there, is "-amus!"-- as in, "You ignoramus!" Nice little editing casualty, there.
I looked at it also. I agree with you, it sure looks like sloppy editing.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline busybuddy

After re-watching it, it does sound like bad editing, but if you watch it with closed-caption, they have him saying "Damn it!"
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline JazzBill

I noticed something that I never noticed before. At the end of Dizzy Doctors, the guy in overturned car from the accident the boys caused, reaches down into the vehicle and comes up with a gun in his hand.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline FineBari3

I know that I have been seeing things that I never noticed before in the new remastered sets too. I can't remember exactly what they were, but I remember mentioning several.

Do you think we are noticing neat things in the shorts because they are cleaner prints or is it because we are looking closely at everything?

I think it is becaue the prints are cleaner.....
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

xraffle

Do you think we are noticing neat things in the shorts because they are cleaner prints or is it because we are looking closely at everything?

We are definitely noticing these neat things because of the cleaner prints. A good example would be "Grips, Grunts and Groans." Watch when the stooges run and trip over the baby carriage. You can clearly see that they are stunt doubles. On the older print I had, you can still notice it, but it's not as clear.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Do you think, at all back then, the Boys thought their work would STILL be appreciated and enjoyed to this day? I mean, in the year 2008?

I mean it's insane when you think about it how cinema has evolved since then.. but to be able to still enjoy these after all these years and have them look as beautiful as they do.

That says a lot.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline dtchantel

Hi-

I just got Vol. 3 and am hoping to get Vol. 4 this weekend.  I've been looking for a specific episode and thought it would have been on Vol. 2 or 3, but I haven't been able to find it.

Does anyone know which short is the one with Larry on stage trying to sew a pair of pants?  I believe he's behind a curtain and keeps poking the needle through and getting Moe.  I also think he might be drunk.

I haven't watched the entire sets yet, but if anyone knows what short this is, please let me know.

Thanks!
Donna

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I just got Vol. 3 and am hoping to get Vol. 4 this weekend.  I've been looking for a specific episode and thought it would have been on Vol. 2 or 3, but I haven't been able to find it.

Does anyone know which short is the one with Larry on stage trying to sew a pair of pants?  I believe he's behind a curtain and keeps poking the needle through and getting Moe.  I also think he might be drunk.

THREE SMART SAPS (1942), included on Vol. 3.

Offline dtchantel

Wow!  Thanks for such a quick reply!  I'm definitely going to watch it tonight - I love that one and couldn't for the life of me remember which one it was.

I appreciate the info!

Offline Lefty

I just watched this episode on Friday.  It was one of my all-time favorites. 

Moe: "Now if you didn't have TB, I'd be able to get this around you."
Curly:  "What do you mean, TB?"
Moe:  "Tampa Bay."

Offline kinderscenen

Wow, did they change that to "Tampa Bay," or is it still "Two Bellies?"  If they changed it, I guess it'd be more relevant to today's audience (young'uns).  What they know about TB probably came from a history book.

(Yeah, I've got to admit, mine did too--I try not to fit in with the young'uns!)
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline Lefty

It's "Two Bellies" all right, but in the spirit of the World Series, I changed it for the occasion.  Either way, it's better than when Curly said to Moe, "Doc, I'm troubled with TS."  Moe replied (approximately), "What do you mean, 'TS'?"  Curly said, "Two Stomachs."  Definitely the "TB" line would have been more apropos.