The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Is Blu-Ray Dead?

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Those of you who remember the "Blu-Ray Spammer" will probably find this blog entry on The Amateur Economist amusing:

Is Blu-Ray Dead?
Wednesday, October 29, 2008, by Speedmaster

I know, provocative title. But I'm really starting to wonder, will Blu-Ray be the LaserDisc of this decade (you LaserDisc nerds out there know who you are.)? Apple won't touch it and the economy won't help people buy $500 players. Is the PS3 still the best deal in a Blu-Ray player?

Is this another example of some people deciding what will be successful, in spite of the market?

Blu-ray is dead - heckuva job, Sony! - ZDNet.com: "Blu-ray is in a death spiral. 12 months from now Blu-ray will be a videophile niche, not a mass market product. With only a 4% share of US movie disc sales and HD download capability arriving, the Blu-ray disc Association (BDA) is still smoking dope. Even $150 Blu-ray players won’t save it."

xraffle

That's funny, I was just posting in this exact same thread at the neowins.net forum (which is full of trolls, btw). I, personally, don't agree with that article. With people going crazy over HDTVs now and the February 2009 deadline drawing near, I have a feeling Blu-ray is not going anywhere. People are going to go out and buy Blu-ray players because it's their only way to get the true 1080p resolution. HD cable services only provide 720p to limit the bandwidth and DVDs need to upscaled. With more and more people buying HDTVs, more people would want the best picture possible and many people believe that the higher the resolution, the better the picture. I believe Blu-ray should die, but so many people out there feel convinced that Blu-ray provides a much better picture than DVDs. I've seen both and the difference is minimal, but many people tend to strongly disagree with me on that.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Once we hit the $150 mark and HDTV is the new "norm" I think it will prevail. Blank media alone is killing it now. $30 for one BD-R. :o
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)