Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2009 Baseball Thread

metaldams · 146 · 34626

Offline metaldams

Offline WhyIOughta

Amazing we've gone into May without any baseball discussion.

Anybody else following Zack Greinke?  As somebody who also has bouts with depression and social anxiety, I find his story totally inspiring. 

6 - 0 0.40 ERA

WOW!

I think I'm going to make it a point to watch his next start on Saturday night.

Amd he's comin' to Anaheim, baby!  I'm goin' on Saturday to see this wunderkind, and hopefully to see the Angels SQUASH this wunderkind, as well.  (But, with that nasty stuff HE'S got, i'm guessin' that ain't happenin'.   :D   )

Offline metaldams

Have a good time, man.  I'll probably be watching (I get the MLB package), so swim in the waterfall or something so I'll know where you are.

Last night, I'm cursing the Red Sox line up for its lack of regulars, so what do they do?  Break an American League record by scoring 12 runs without recording a single out!  Sheesh.  Looks like we have another good team his year, and Boston will be really scary if the starting pitching outside of Tim Wakefield would be more consistent.  I believe they will, especially Lester.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

By the way, my parents and Braves fan Aunt and her boyfriend are going to Fenway this year to catch a Red Sox Vs. Braves game.  I can't go cause it's in the middle of the week and I don't have the vacation time!   [3stooges]  I haven't been to Fenway since 2000.

I will be catching a Red Sox Vs. Orioles game at Camden Yard later in the year.  Boston's on a 4 game winning streak with me at the park.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline WhyIOughta

Ahh, the Braves, with their first-baseman that they stole from Anaheim, Casey Kotchman. Man, I miss that guy..... I understand the making of the play to get Teixiera, but CRAP...lol

Offline metaldams

Teixiera

Never heard of him!

I was actually happy when Kotchman went to the N.L.  I don't know if the stats bear it out, but from memory, he killed the Red Sox.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

It's time for that bane of the Phillies, interleague play.  This weekend it's Philly & Boston vs. New York.  I predict that the Yankees' 9-game winning streak will end tonight -- and remember, you read it here last!

Offline metaldams

I always say, because of where I live, the Phillies are a very distant second as my second favorite baseball team.  For this weekend, take away the words "very distant."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Just watched Mark Buehrle throw a PERFECT game for the White Sox. He owes Dewayne Wise big time.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Just watched Mark Buehrle throw a PERFECT game for the White Sox. He owes Dewayne Wise big time.

Very impressive, considering it's the 2nd no-no he's thrown since 2007!  Glad it was against Tampa Bay as well.  Congrats to him!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

A couple of observations after watching the 9th inning on replay.

1.) Thank God I'm not a White Sox fan.  I always forget how annoying those announcers are.

2.) Amazing friggin' catch!  Just about every perfect game or no-no has some defensive gem to thank, and this one's no exception.

3.) ...and most importantly, the White Sox female reporter is pretty hot.  The Red Sox's Heidi Watney takes the cake (nothing to do with my team bias either, but seriously.....

but the White Sox gal ain't bad.

Congrats to Mark Buehrle, he's the man.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline OldFred

I went to the new Citi Field in New York which replaced Shea Stadium to see Paul McCartney's July 21st concert there. The parking lot of Citi Field is where Shea once stood and there are markers showing where the original bases were located. I had a picture of myself taken at Second Base as that's where the stage was set for The Beatles historic 1965 Shea Stadium concert.

Offline Justin T

Very impressive, considering it's the 2nd no-no he's thrown since 2007!  Glad it was against Tampa Bay as well.  Congrats to him!

Indeed, any pitcher who can throw more than one no-hitter in his career should be commended. Nolan Ryan has the most no-no's
of any Major League pitcher in history, he threw 7. That's amazing. Too bad none of Ryan's no-hitter's were a perfect game, but there's
a reason why only 18 pitchers have ever thrown a perfect game.

With Mark Buehrle's the White Sox (Charlie Robertson's in 1922 and Buehrle's in 09) now join the Indians (Addie Joss and Len Barker) and
the Yankees (Don Larsen, David Wells, and David Cone) as the only other teams to have more than one perfect game. Id' say that's
pretty impressive also.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

Indeed, any pitcher who can throw more than one no-hitter in his career should be commended. Nolan Ryan has the most no-no's
of any Major League pitcher in history, he threw 7. That's amazing. Too bad none of Ryan's no-hitter's were a perfect game, but there's
a reason why only 18 pitchers have ever thrown a perfect game.

With Mark Buehrle's the White Sox (Charlie Robertson's in 1922 and Buehrle's in 09) now join the Indians (Addie Joss and Len Barker) and
the Yankees (Don Larsen, David Wells, and David Cone) as the only other teams to have more than one perfect game. Id' say that's
pretty impressive also.

I saw Nolan Ryan's last no hitter in 1991 on the MLB network against Toronto (who were a good team back then).  Incredible! He was 44 years old and he struck out 16, or some ridiculous number.

I met Don Larsen at a baseball card show as a kid.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

The season's winding down and I'd like to think some of us wanna talk baseball.  Really the AL Central and NL Wild Card the only halfway decent races now, everything else seems to be a blowout.

I was at today's Red Sox game, which brings the Red Sox win streak to 6 with me at the park.  Of course, playing Baltimore four of those times helps.  The games I was at:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200605190PHI *

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200709090BAL

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200805310BAL **

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200806170PHI

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_08_01_bosmlb_balmlb_1

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_09_20_bosmlb_balmlb_1

* David Ortiz's home run lands a few rows in front of me, second upper deck in right field.

** Manny Ramirez hits his 500th home run, David Ortiz injures himself and is out for two months

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Perhaps I'm spitting in the wind trying to talk baseball, but if anyone's interested....can anybody here remember the last time the pennant races seemed so unexciting?  Other than a 3 game lead in the AL Central, it feels like everything's decided.  I hope Detroit and Minnesota remain close so we can have some interesting late September baseball.

As a Red Sox fan, I really like the direction the team is at right now.  Victor Martinez was an excellent pick up and has been a far superior alternative to Jason Varitek, as much as it pains me to say it.  V-Tek is done in my opinion, which is normal for 38 year old catchers.  Alex Gonzalez has solidified short stop this season, and Buchholz has given the team a much needed 3rd starter.  The Sox are looking strong going into October.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

Perhaps I'm spitting in the wind trying to talk baseball, but if anyone's interested....can anybody here remember the last time the pennant races seemed so unexciting?  Other than a 3 game lead in the AL Central, it feels like everything's decided.  I hope Detroit and Minnesota remain close so we can have some interesting late September baseball.

As a Red Sox fan, I really like the direction the team is at right now.  Victor Martinez was an excellent pick up and has been a far superior alternative to Jason Varitek, as much as it pains me to say it.  V-Tek is done in my opinion, which is normal for 38 year old catchers.  Alex Gonzalez has solidified short stop this season, and Buchholz has given the team a much needed 3rd starter.  The Sox are looking strong going into October.

I can't recall the last time it was this boring myself. Just about everything is locked up at this point. No real drama or excitement.

Seems alot of the playoff teams have some issue or other, Boston seems to be solid for now. Yankess are getting the pitching back on track, Burnett's last 2 starts were very good, but still don't know about Joba though. If he gets hammered this weekend against the Sox I don't want to see him as the 4th Starter in the playoffs. I wish I knew what the hell is wrong with him. The way things are looking it might be Yankess vs Red Sox in the ALCS unless either one of us blows it in the playoffs, which can happen very easily in baseball. The Angels have always been a pain the ass for the Yanks esp in October, but we just won 3 of the last 4 games against em which is good.

Over in the NL, I don't see how the Phillies can repeat when they have the WORST closer in baseball in Lidge. The guy blew his 11th save of the season this week and his ERA is nearly 8. Not having a good closer in the playoffs is a recipie for disaster. The Cards are pretty darn good, don't know about the Dodgers and the Rockies are a nice surprise. My Uncle is a Rockies fan so I'm kinda pulling for them to do well.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

Over in the NL, I don't see how the Phillies can repeat when they have the WORST closer in baseball in Lidge. The guy blew his 11th save of the season this week and his ERA is nearly 8.

Not to mention their set up guy, Ryan Madson, is 8 for 14 in save opportunities.  The Phils need to find their version of a 2006 Adam Wainwright if they stand a chance.

Of course, just as I'm all optimistic about Boston, Melky Cabrerra lines a ball off Jon Lester's knee.  There is no emoticon for what I am feeling right now.  Rob could create one, but if anyone were to gaze upon it, their computer would explode.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

Not to mention their set up guy, Ryan Madson, is 8 for 14 in save opportunities.  The Phils need to find their version of a 2006 Adam Wainwright if they stand a chance.

Of course, just as I'm all optimistic about Boston, Melky Cabrerra lines a ball off Jon Lester's knee.  There is no emoticon for what I am feeling right now.  Rob could create one, but if anyone were to gaze upon it, their computer would explode.

Yeah, that was really painfull to watch tonight. Thankfully it didnt hit the knee or it could have been even worse.
I hate it when freak things like that happen. I'm not a Boston fan, but I don't like seeing anyone get hurt. Hopefully Lester will be ok.

Was happy to see Joba pitch well tonight, hopefully he can keep it up.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

Yeah, that was really painfull to watch tonight. Thankfully it didnt hit the knee or it could have been even worse.
I hate it when freak things like that happen. I'm not a Boston fan, but I don't like seeing anyone get hurt. Hopefully Lester will be ok.

Was happy to see Joba pitch well tonight, hopefully he can keep it up.

They say Lester suffered a contusion on his right quad and is day-to-day.  It sounds like he'll be OK.  At least I hope so, but he looked like he was in some serious pain.  At least we have the luxury of resting him until the playoffs.  Hopefully he'll be OK by then.  Just when I thought Boston's rotation looked unbeatable.

That Yankee line-up should be illegal.  Wind tunnel or no wind tunnel, 7 or 8 guys hitting 20 + home runs is just unfair.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

That Yankee line-up should be illegal.  Wind tunnel or no wind tunnel, 7 or 8 guys hitting 20 + home runs is just unfair.

Commissioner Lefty would solve that problem the way the NHL (supposedly) has -- with a salary cap.  And for the Junkies, lots more drug testing.  So how DID Mark Tex-Steroid, batting right-handed, break his bat and still hit one into the 5th row of the left-field seats when the wind was blowing to right field?  Well, maybe it's 218 feet to left instead of 318.

The Phillies look as though they want to win the division at home, which they may if they and the Nationals don't win both tonight and tomorrow.  Today is the 33rd anniversary of their first division clinching, in Montreal's Jarry Park, before about 15 people.  Nowadays, a clinching like that would have a sellout with all Phillies' fans.

Offline moglia

It's the darn maple bats.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:43:12 PM by moglia »

Offline JazzBill

Red Sox and the Cards are done for the year.  ;D
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Red Sox and the Cards are done for the year.  ;D

Fuck you.  ;D

Congrats to the Angels for beating the Red Sox.  They're a great team and were bound to do it sometime.  I just didn't think Papelbon had a Calvin Schiraldi in him.  That was painful to watch.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

I'm surprised the Red Sox and Cardnials got swept out of the playoffs like that, I thought
both series would be close affairs.

Hopfully the Yankees can finish a sweep of the Twins tonight, winning Game 2 like they did
was mindblowing. Twins are playing their hearts out though, I have to hand it to em. They
have alot of talent and I respect them.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"