The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Post your music videos thread.

metaldams · 85 · 25012

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Okay ... since we're dredging up old tunes from the (late) 70's ...

(Whip It Devo)
[youtube=425,350]rxH39QlRuhg&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Let's put rock/pop aside for a moment, and watch William Frawley in the "Soundie" short, THE YANKEE DOODLER (1943)...
[youtube=425,350]8OVpLEeAZSg[/youtube]

And, Frawley sings on I'VE GOT A SECRET (1954)...
[youtube=425,350]2xfbrSzaQOs[/youtube]

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Let's put rock/pop aside for a moment, and watch William Frawley...

No to Frawley?  Then let's compromise...

Lucille Ball, Anthony Newley and The Dave Clark 5, in an excerpt from 1966's "Lucy in London" 1-hr special episode of THE LUCY SHOW ...
[youtube=425,350]lmZhtkxe2-g[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

Ugh, gotta get my speakers hooked up, but the electricity in this new house I'm living in is screwy (the guy who previously lived here is an engineer and loved to rig things).  Think I need to invite Moe, Larry, and Curly over for repairs.

These clips look interesting, though, I'll get to them when I can actually hear them.  The Dave Clark 5 is a band I've always been interested in hearing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Benny Goodman, Gene Krupa, and Harry James helping to lay down the foundation for rock & roll back in the year 1937.

[youtube=425,350]gzaVNwkoZqc[/youtube]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Benny Goodman, Gene Krupa, and Harry James helping to lay down the foundation for rock & roll back in the year 1937.

[youtube=425,350]gzaVNwkoZqc[/youtube]

fyi -  the video is from HOLLYWOOD HOTEL (1938), which costarred Ted Healy.

Offline metaldams

Jazzbill, you'd be more of an expert on this than I, but what surprised me the most about that footage was there was a black pianist and xylophonist playing with a mostly white group.  I was under the impression that jazz musicians, more so due to laws and club owners than themselves, were segregated back then.  Was this out of the norm?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Wow, what did those cats snort before those tunes!  That was the fastest version of Sing, Sing, Sing I have ever heard! 

As a drummer, I might also point out that this clip has the oldest hi-hat I have ever seen. (1937)  I am pretty sure that Krupa was one of the first to use them, and may have even been the first.

I have to now post another Tonight Show Band clip, with a special guest drummer. BTW, both Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon were drummers, too!

[youtube=425,350]V-ewGQx4Vfo[/youtube]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
what surprised me the most about that footage was there was a black pianist and xylophonist playing with a mostly white group.  

Lionel Hampton and Teddy Wilson.

Offline hiramhorwitz

Wow, what did those cats snort before those tunes!  That was the fastest version of Sing, Sing, Sing I have ever heard! 

As a drummer, I might also point out that this clip has the oldest hi-hat I have ever seen. (1937)  I am pretty sure that Krupa was one of the first to use them, and may have even been the first.

I have to now post another Tonight Show Band clip, with a special guest drummer. BTW, both Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon were drummers, too!

[youtube=425,350]V-ewGQx4Vfo[/youtube]

Love the Rich and Kenton stuff you've posted -- it reminds me of seeing these guys in the early 1970s.  Are you familiar with a drummer/trumpeter by the name of Don Ellis?  He was another of my favorites, who unfortunately died way too young in the 1970s.  Great memories of these guys, though.... 

Offline FineBari3

Hell, yes! I think somebody put a few clips of him on here recently.  Far out! 
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline hiramhorwitz

Hell, yes! I think somebody put a few clips of him on here recently.  Far out! 

Excellent! I'll never forget Don's big encore number, "The Pussy Wiggle Stomp."  The audience would start clapping the Stomp beat in unison, Don would join in, and the crowd would go wild.  What I wouldn't give to travel back in time and experience it again!!

Offline metaldams

I'll never forget Don's big encore number, "The Pussy Wiggle Stomp." 

...and I thought heavy metal was supposed to be the Devil's music!

Looked the guy up on youtube, not bad.  I was even playing some of his licks on bass.  It appears he died one week before I was born (AKA, the same day Chase Utley was born, for all you baseball fans).
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Jazzbill, you'd be more of an expert on this than I, but what surprised me the most about that footage was there was a black pianist and xylophonist playing with a mostly white group.  I was under the impression that jazz musicians, more so due to laws and club owners than themselves, were segregated back then.  Was this out of the norm?

I found this on Answers.Com

Benny Goodman was a jazz clarinetist and band leader famous for the songs "Sing, Sing, Sing" and "One O'Clock Jump." A prodigy on the clarinet, Goodman joined the professional musician's union when he was just 13 years old and made his first recording as a soloist four years later. In the 1920s he played in orchestras, on the radio and for stage shows, and made several recordings as a sideman (including for Bessie Smith and Billie Holiday). In the early 1930s Goodman formed his own orchestra and the Swing Era began. He became a world famous bandleader, appeared regularly on the radio and in the movies and is often credited with introducing jazz to mainstream audiences. By the end of his career he'd had well over 100 hit songs, including "Let's Dance," "Blue Moon, and "Six Appeal."

Benny Goodman is considered the first bandleader to perform in public with a racially integrated orchestra.

Offline metaldams

Benny Goodman is considered the first bandleader to perform in public with a racially integrated orchestra.

Thanks, that answers my question!

I remember taking a jazz class in college and I watched some footage of (I believe, if memory serves correct) Dizzy Gillespie appearing on 1950's television as a surprise guest.  You can tell the white as powder host was appalled by the idea of a black man on his show.  Pretty sad, but a fascinating look at the times.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

It was Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie, as a matter of fact.

[youtube=425,350]wkvCDCOGzGc[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Not much of a "music video" but this 1973 classic is always filled with adrenaline.

bachman-turner overdrive - Let It Ride

[youtube=425,350]p48RzSzyMzk[/youtube]

And something a little different: Snow (Hey Oh)-The Vitamin String Quartet

[youtube=425,350]7urbYARtTQc[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

Not much of a "music video" but this 1973 classic is always filled with adrenaline.

bachman-turner overdrive - Let It Ride

[youtube=425,350]p48RzSzyMzk[/youtube]

And something a little different: Snow (Hey Oh)-The Vitamin String Quartet

[youtube=425,350]7urbYARtTQc[/youtube]

Not bad.  My friend swears BTO are better than their hits, and he may be right.  As far as adrenaline goes, well.....some of you may like the roots of rock 'n' roll, and that's cool.  What you're going to see below IS rock 'n' roll.  Watch, listen, enjoy, and then cuddle up with that special 42 - 39 - 56 in your life.  I need not tell you who this is, lest you're living in a cave.

[youtube=425,350]5kmLmjz_cFs[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Not bad.  My friend swears BTO are better than their hits, and he may be right.  As far as adrenaline goes, well.....some of you may like the roots of rock 'n' roll, and that's cool.  What you're going to see below IS rock 'n' roll.  Watch, listen, enjoy, and then cuddle up with that special 42 - 39 - 56 in your life.  I need not tell you who this is, lest you're living in a cave.

[youtube=425,350]5kmLmjz_cFs[/youtube]

Excellent choice. If your looking for some good old grab you by the throat and pound you over the head rock and roll, you need to go no further down the alphabet than the A's. Because AC/DC should do it for you.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
A fabulous Stooge site would only be so if it were replete with corny comedy songs ... So ...
Here's my offering today.

[youtube=425,350]yG3F61H-XDA&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

Excellent choice. If your looking for some good old grab you by the throat and pound you over the head rock and roll, you need to go no further down the alphabet than the A's. Because AC/DC should do it for you.

Damn right.  Thing is, I think AC/DC were at their absolute best with Bon Scott.  BACK IN BLACK is obviously an exception, but other than that, AC/DC have never come close.  Brian Johnson's got a great voice for AC/DC, has recorded a handful of classic songs after BACK IN BLACK, and they're still a good live band, but 9 times out of 10, when I want to hear AC/DC, I'll pick up the earlier stuff.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

[youtube=425,350]5hSW67ySCio[/youtube]

Jimi Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell passed on today at age 61.  The ENTIRE BAND is now dead!  R.I.P. guys.  Think I'll listen to some Hendrix tonight.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

"Baby, I Love Your Way" - Peter Frampton, 1976

[youtube=425,350]kS8M7_yNSv0[/youtube]

Taken from the conclusion of a COLD CASE episode a few seasons ago. That show is always a good bet for music. I'm not sure if any current show uses music as well as that one.

I must be on a 70s kick as that decade has been the source of nearly everything I've posted.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Time fer another commodie song ...
Ben Colder (Sheb Wooley) - Shaky Breaky Car
[youtube=425,350]CDr97x7ZH6A&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

In case you are not familiar with Sheb Wooley ... here is his signature hit song.
[youtube=425,350]X9H_cI_WCnE&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

I must be on a 70s kick as that decade has been the source of nearly everything I've posted.

As far as non-metal music goes, '66 - '75 is the greatest for album rock.  Hell, put a gun to my head and I'll tell you rock music peaked in 1975.  Fuck punk.

Here's a clip from the greatest rock film/comedy ever filmed, period.

[youtube=425,350]WXGbwIkvh38[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky