Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Post your music videos thread.

metaldams · 85 · 25008

Offline metaldams

Let's just make one special youtube thread for music.  Post your videos here, and after awhile, we'll have a rich and diverse catalog of music to go through.  Maybe we'll all discover good music we didn't know before.

I'll try to collect all the past music videos printed so far and post them here.  For now, my newest contribution is "Old Town" from one of my favorite songwriters, Phil Lynott (1949 - 1986).  Most known for being the bassist/vocalist of Thin Lizzy, he is, at least in America, sadly known as a one-hit wonder ("The Boys Are Back In Town").  He deserves much better than that, and this song is from his 1982 solo album, THE PHILLIP LYNOTT ALBUM.  Love the piccolo trumpet (I believe that's what it is), solo, reminds me of "Penny Lane."  Just a beautiful song, enjoy.

[youtube=425,350]9aVtMju0NqE[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Yes, the piccolo trumpet was used in Penny Lane, and most likely used in this tune. However, the horn Phillip diddles with in the video is a Flugelhorn, which Chuck Mangione used for Feels So Good.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline metaldams

Yes, the piccolo trumpet was used in Penny Lane, and most likely used in this tune. However, the horn Phillip diddles with in the video is a Flugelhorn, which Chuck Mangione used for Feels So Good.

Thanks for the info.  Yeah, my ear picked up the same timbre as "Penny Lane," so I assumed the same instrument.  That said, I'm no expert on brass instruments, and since this video is obviously synched, I guess they could possibly get away with using another instrument visually.  To my knowledge, Phil Lynott was not a trumpet player and most likely didn't play the part.  I'll have to research it.
- Doug Sarnecky

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Thanks for the info.  Yeah, my ear picked up the same timbre as "Penny Lane," so I assumed the same instrument.  That said, I'm no expert on brass instruments, and since this video is obviously synched, I guess they could possibly get away with using another instrument visually.  To my knowledge, Phil Lynott was not a trumpet player and most likely didn't play the part.  I'll have to research it.

Well, by the way he held the thing, he made it LOOK like he could play it. That being said, WHY did he use a flugelhorn for the video instead of the MUCH more interesting looking piccolo trumpet? It's at least half the size of the flugelhorn, and more challenging to play than a flugelhorn, or coronet, or trumpet (all pitched and played the same).

Okay, time for some trumpet vids ... here is a video from a concert in 1974 featuring Bill Chase (the trumpet guy) and Jim Peterik, best known as one of the members of the band Survivor, and vocalized the tune Vehicle for The Ides of March, and the tune The Eye of the Tiger, from the movie Rocky III.

The second video is someone's interpretation of what Bill Chase's one-and-only hit song would be seen as ... you may remember it from decades ago ... Get It On ...

(Love is on the Way - Chase featuring Jim Peterik)
[youtube=425,350]T1cmRPmyYVY&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

(Get it On - Chase's One-And-Only)
[youtube=425,350]dgUv6YlbMbw&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

Offline FineBari3

I'm glad a music YouTube thread was started!

I am going to have to check these videos out when I have time!  Bill Chase....a drum corps staple!  (I marched for years and still do).  I played Get it On in college and in the Syracuse Brigadiers. Great tune for an all brass band, as all Chase stuff usually was!

I think that it is very cool that we can talk about music here!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Well ... speaking of Lil' Jimmy and The Ides of March, here's a vid of the tune Vehicle ... albeit the dudes are a bit more portlier and older.

[youtube=425,350]_EBMo8xHGNs&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

I've got a really strange relationship with brass instrumentation and jazz styles in general.  Intellectually, I appreciate it.  I played electric bass in high school and college jazz bands and even was all-state my senior year (my all-state jazz band brag is the equivalent to Al Bundy scoring four touchdown in one game).  I loved the challenge of playing along to fake books, creating lines and solos based on the chord changes, etc.  You have to be very dedicated to master that style of music, no doubt.

But for personal listening, I am not as moved for some reason.  I can't really explain why.  Yeah, I own a copy of KIND OF BLUE and relax to it maybe once a year, and I like a little James Brown, but emotionally, I connect to great three minute pop songs (like "Old Town"), or really loud guitar driven hard rock and heavy metal more.  I like brass instruments for a little color more so than the main feature.  Like I said, it's just personal taste, and I have a lot of respect for these jazz guys as musicians.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Soooooo.......does anyone else here like music?  Don't be shy now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Soooooo.......does anyone else here like music?  Don't be shy now.

You wouldn't know I was white, by looking at my music collection.

[youtube=425,350]4Ou-6A3MKow[/youtube]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

I've been eyeballing that CHESS BOX since the last time you posted Howlin' Wolf.  What a voice that guy had, I think I'm going to cave and buy that set soon, or least put it on the ol' Christmas list.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

....and speaking of good voices.  A completely different style of music, Queen, and early Queen at that.  A live 1975 performance of "Ogre Battle" from QUEEN II, a metaldams all-time top 10 album.

[youtube=425,350]4DvlYv5RrVQ[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Not to be outdone by Queen ... HERE'S a vid from Red Ingle (a major singer for Spike Jones)
in a tune everyone (as old and decrepit as me) will remember and enjoy ....

[youtube=425,350]hqk3osxS4wQ[/youtube]

Offline FineBari3

A video reply to that clip! This is the only version of this song I heard until you put your clip on!

[youtube=425,350]bNexAtZRrsw[/youtube]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

That song ruled, both versions.  Thanks guys!

Here's one of Peter Sellers good friends on THE MUPPET SHOW, just in time for Halloween, which is my favorite holiday.

[youtube=425,350]dQ8Z5fjqOYs[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Ahhhhh ... the perfect pairing ... Alice Cooper and the Muppets ...
Let's get back to basics, now ... I Like That Old Time Rock and Roll!

[youtube=425,350]j6UJZtCz1-c&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

A co-worker once let me borrow LIVE BULLET (if I'm remembering the title correctly).  Great album.  Should be Music That Sucks nominee Kid Rock royally ripped off/paid tribute to that album cover on one of his albums.

[youtube=425,350]Fe7yOccqdxI[/youtube]

.......and now for an edgier Alice Cooper.  "Dead Babies."

[youtube=425,350]eIUmyTmD3N8[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

.....and one more before I hit the road, 'cause this song has a little meaning for me today.  The Kinks play "Days."  Ray Davies is a diety of some form.

[youtube=425,350]MzpShIhvrjU[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

This one is my song of the day.

[youtube=425,350]J2rxPSDUlvk[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

Never been an Eagles fan or of anything Eagles related, but I can't think of a logical reason why.  There's nothing bad about them on paper, maybe just overexposure?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Rock & Roll roots. Louis Jordon in Swing Parade Of 1946. ( The Stooges were pretty good in this movie also. )

[youtube=425,350]gZvbOBG-y-0[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

Rock & Roll roots. Louis Jordon in Swing Parade Of 1946. ( The Stooges were pretty good in this movie also. )

[youtube=425,350]gZvbOBG-y-0[/youtube]

Iggy wasn't even born in 1946!

Here's some devil rock roots.  Happy Halloween, and I'm waiting for jazzbill to throw in a Screamin Jay Hawkins video for a response.  Nice job everybody so far, let's get more people posting music, this can get quite diverse after awhile.

[youtube=425,350]F7RI1Vb2VPU[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

[youtube=425,350]HONXAKYyai8[/youtube]

Here's Alice Cooper doing "Black Juju" in 1971.  Kind of has a voodoo type vibe similar to Hawkins, though more psychedelic and Alice doesn't have Hawkins operatic voice.  This clip's kind of artsy, "Dead Babies" is flat out gory, and "Welcome to My Nightmare" is kiddie show stuff, all in a span of 4 years.  Alice has rarely been predictable.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Alice Cooper with Soupy Sales, who'd a thunk it?

[youtube=425,350]gJfuWhMQ3Tc[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

Not at all surprised Alice would do Soupy Sales.  Alice has never been one dimensional and has always had a sense of humor.  Great find, by the way.

OK, last Alice clip for awhile, I promise.  This one's appropriate because the election's coming up.  Off the BILLION DOLLAR BABIES album (probably another metaldams top 10 favorite), here's "Elected."  Alice will be the first to tell you this was one of John Lennon's favorite songs.

[youtube=425,350]NawhWb8Uu5E[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Heard this on COLD CASE a few weeks ago and I liked it. It's nice. It's hard to find good new music nowadays, a sad reflection on the music industry.

Bob Welch - Sentimental Lady

[youtube=425,350]Zv1hjaw_5Ho[/youtube]

Another 70s gem - The Cars - Lets Go

[youtube=425,350]CThQLYDQk7s[/youtube]