Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Tonight Show Band

Offline FineBari3

There was once a great TV show that had a fantastic big band, which was also featured regularly on that show. With the wonders of YouTube, I remember anxiously anticipating their next feature spot.

Just incredible.....

[youtube=425,350]cusms_vKpP4[/youtube]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Always liked Stan Kenton and his homies ...

[youtube=425,350]x3EkI3ISz28&hl=en&fs=1"[/youtube]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline FineBari3

Oh my GOD! I am a big Kenton fan, and I must admit, I have NEVER seen any performance by them! I have played many, many Kenton charts in drum corps, as my corps played mostly Latin jazz.

Stan is so smooth! My Mom told me a story that when she was dating, her boyfriend and his friends were all musicians, and they all dug Stan Kenton. A group of them went to see him at a ballroom, and they were all talking to a man at the bar. He excused himself, and walked through the crowd, sat down at the piano, and began to play that same intro to his theme song, Artistry in Rhythm!

My Mom also told me that Kenton wasn't too popular with the dance crowd for obvious reasons. Kenton was a big band that you listened to, and nothing more. I'm going to continue this thread with the Sauter-Finegan Orchestra, which is usually mentioned with Kenton in the same breath. Though two very different bands, both gained their popularity at the end of the dance band era. The innovative arrangements and musicians were what counted in these bands.

BTW, elusive Master Stooge Rich Finegan is Bill's nephew!

[youtube=425,350]mExpGyauWGc[/youtube]

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson