Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Punch Drunk - Mickey Mouse

Offline Zombi6422

For the ones who have seen the Three Stooges in Punch Drunk. Has anyone seen a 1933 short named Mickey's Mechanical Man? I am wondering if you think this is the movie that the stooges copied the premise of Punch Drunks from.

1933 - Mickey's Mechanical Man. Mickey creates a robot that is able to box. Minnie pulls up to his house and honks her car horn. The robot starts going crazy and punches everything. They realize that whenever they honk the horn, the robot will turn wild and destroy everything in its path. The robot's first boxing match comes up and it is losing. Minnie goes running outside to her car, grabs the horn off her car, and honks it then the robot goes crazy and wins the match.

Three Stooges Punch Drunks came out barely a year later in 1934. ;D

Pilsner Panther

I thought I might have this cartoon, since someone gave me "Mickey Mouse In Black and White, The Classic Collection" for Christmas. I hadn't gotten around to watching any of it yet, but when I looked a the list of cartoons in the set, I saw that "Mickey's Mechanical Man" isn't included.

That's strange, as I thought this was supposed to be a "complete" collection... I guess it's not, even though the copy on the back of the box suggests that it is. There are 33 cartoons in the 2-DVD set, plus documentary stuff, so I guess I shoudn't be too picky about Mickey.

So I still haven't seen this cartoon, but it certainly sounds like the plot might have been at least some influence on "Punch Drunks." The idea of the honking horn doesn't sound nearly as funny as "Pop Goes the Weasel," though, especially the very first time Larry starts sawing away on his violin and Curly goes berzerk!

Offline Zombi6422

Mickey Mouse has had about 72 black and white cartoons and there are two b&w disney treasure sets.  The first set is way out of print but the more recent one came out early december and is probably already difficult to find in any stores.  The mechanical man one is on the volume 2.  So if you got it this christmas I suspect it is the volume 2 with it because the volume 1 is impossible to find unless on ebay or similar places.