Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Volume 5?

Offline BeatleShemp

Has anybody heard any news on Volume 5?  What do you think? 1946-1948, combining the last of the Curly shorts with the first batch of Shemp shorts?

Offline Stooges#1

Offline falsealarms

I e-mailed that guy at Sony who some of us have e-mailed... asked about vol 5 and how it would be handled (Curly, Shemp) but have not received an answer.

Offline metaldams

The only two acceptable Vol. 5's would be a Curly and Shemp or an all Curly with tons of worthwhile extras.  If it's a latter, that's only acceptable if there's a vol. 6 that starts with FRIGHT NIGHT.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp77

Can't wait for future volumes:  HOT SCOTS, GENTS IN A JAM, LOOSE LOOT, GOOF ON THE ROOF, TRICKY DICKS, HUSBANDS BEWARE, FLYING SAUCER DAFFY, FIFI BLOWS HER TOP....
Keep buying 'em, so they'll keep putting 'em out!
"If you had a face like mine, you'd punch me right in the nose, and I'm just the guy that can do it!"

Offline metaldams

Can't wait for future volumes:  HOT SCOTS, GENTS IN A JAM, LOOSE LOOT, GOOF ON THE ROOF, TRICKY DICKS, HUSBANDS BEWARE, FLYING SAUCER DAFFY, FIFI BLOWS HER TOP....
Keep buying 'em, so they'll keep putting 'em out!

Love the Harry Langdon avatar.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp77

Thanks.  Hope Sony puts out a Harry Langdon collection like they did for Buster Keaton.
"If you had a face like mine, you'd punch me right in the nose, and I'm just the guy that can do it!"

Offline Porcupine73

Has anybody heard any news on Volume 5?

As of today, Sony is aiming for a January release for Volume 5

Offline archiezappa

As of today, Sony is aiming for a January release for Volume 5

Cool!  Where did you hear about that?

Offline Porcupine73

Cool!  Where did you hear about that?

The same guy at Sony mentioned above. I admit I forgot to ask him which years will be included. I seem to remember a previous email saying 1946-1948 was their intent for Volume 5.

He also said that the later volumes might have more than 3 year spans per set. I think the consensus is that the later shorts aren't as good (the stock footage, the fake Shemp and Joe Besser) they feel Sony should include more later ones per set to have comparable value with the current sets out now.

Hope that helps!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Damn.. I was hoping a fifth set before New Years. ;D
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

Damn.. I was hoping a fifth set before New Years. ;D

I felt pretty good that they would have it out around Christmas, but I guess not.

xraffle

The same guy at Sony mentioned above. I admit I forgot to ask him which years will be included. I seem to remember a previous email saying 1946-1948 was their intent for Volume 5.

I actually haven't had a chance to email the guy yet. But when I finish watching Volume 4, I will definitely email him. This set is fantastic and despite it's minor flaws (like in "Idiots Deluxe"), they still did an excellent job overall. After the wonderful restoration job they did with "Micro-Phonies," the least I can do is send a work of thanks. They sure deserve it.

Offline metaldams

Thanks.  Hope Sony puts out a Harry Langdon collection like they did for Buster Keaton.

Not banking on it, but it would be great.  Us Langdon fans haven been spoiled over the past few years with his Sennett shorts and later features finally being released (and I am very impressed by THREE'S A CROWD).

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

The Three Stooges Collection, Volume Five: 1946-1948... Cool!  And I'm still in favor of them using the "Hold That Lion" pic for the cover.   [cool]

Offline Stooges#1

He also said that the later volumes might have more than 3 year spans per set. I think the consensus is that the later shorts aren't as good (the stock footage, the fake Shemp and Joe Besser) they feel Sony should include more later ones per set to have comparable value with the current sets out now.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the news.  [cool]

I hope that upcoming volumes will have more years per set, a few dollars extra for each volume>>>>>>>>>>>>more volumes at $16.99.

xraffle

I finally emailed the guy at Sony. I didn't ask him about Volume 5. I just sent him an email saying thanks and to keep the sets coming.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

if you e mail him again ask about the 5 movies , if they r going to be in a set as well . I cant wait for vol 5 as well

Offline moglia

Hope that helps!

I don't mind if for the post curly volumes if they raise the price to compensate for what will probably be lower sales. I just do not want to see this amazing effort die on the vine.  I won't believe anything until I have all the Shemps perched upon on my shelf.

doc

Offline JLNeibaur

A Sony rep told me that it looks like the Charley Chase Columbias will be released (in a package similar to the Keaton Columbias), and if they sell reasonably well there are plans for a Langdon set and other future releases. 

It is great that virtually every extant Langdon silent is now available on DVD. Would be nice to have some of his talkies.  But the prospect of a Chase Columbia set is great.

JN

Offline metaldams

A Sony rep told me that it looks like the Charley Chase Columbias will be released (in a package similar to the Keaton Columbias), and if they sell reasonably well there are plans for a Langdon set and other future releases. 

It is great that virtually every extant Langdon silent is now available on DVD. Would be nice to have some of his talkies.  But the prospect of a Chase Columbia set is great.

JN

I'd love to see a Chase set, but if what you're saying is true, I'm surprised he's getting a rub over Langdon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JLNeibaur

It is a little surprising that Langdon isn't out first, because he is "hot" right now.  But there is a set of Chase silents coming out in January, so that might grease the sales wheel for a subsequent Columbia talkies set.  It will be nice to see the other Columbia comedies coming out.  The Keaton set was great (and I learned that the Keaton Columbias are much better than their reputation).

JN

Offline Sadistic Stooge

There is 2 Chase silent set out now be Kino Video , who will be putting out this new one in January ?

Offline JLNeibaur

Allday entertainment is coming out with the latest one of Chase silents.  What is great is that it contains a lot of material and does not repeat ANY of the titles that are already on the two volume Kino discs you mention.

Here is a link to the full track listing.

http://www.alldayentertainment.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/online-store/scstore/allday/slapstick/chasemore.html?E+scstore

JN

Offline metaldams

Great list of films, but I'm assuming there are legal reasons why we can never get later Chase silents.  I once saw Limousine Love (1928) on one of those silent comedy comps and it was hysterical.  I think a more complete picture of silent Chase needs to include some later work.
- Doug Sarnecky