Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Volume 5?

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I hope format changes include the inclusion of extras, as had originally been announced before Volume 1 was released.  I'd love to see some of the solo Shemp, Joe Besser, or even Joe DeRita shorts included. 

I'm just happy with getting the Three Stooges shorts in chronological order and at a good price. Extras would be nice but I'm not holding my breath nor would I be disappointed if there were none.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

The thing is, Sony has been releasing Columbia shorts as extras.  I have THE SAM KATZMAN collection (cheesy 50's horror films), and there is a mid-30's Monte Collins/Tom Kennedy short on there (been meaning to start a thread on it, as I have an interesting observation or two).  I'd be shocked if this set continues if no Stooge solo shorts are included.  Cynically, I'm thinking they'll release all the sets first, then release a big box set with all the volumes plus the solo shorts as a bonus disc.  Sony will NOT get the extra sale out of me if that happens.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

I'm just happy with getting the Three Stooges shorts in chronological order and at a good price. Extras would be nice but I'm not holding my breath nor would I be disappointed if there were none.

I totally agree.  The Stooges don't need any bonus features.  The Three Stooges shorts are what they are.  However, I wish I could get "Brideless Groom" with audio commentary from Shemp Howard.

Offline metaldams

However, I wish I could get "Brideless Groom" with audio commentary from Shemp Howard.

That would scare the shit out of me.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Six and 7 8s

Yes... I absolutely agree as well. I know most Stooge fans that wanted extras said that, but I honestly believe that the shorts themselves is what matters.

Oh man I can't WAIT till we get Blunder Boys. I love that episode... but I don't have it anymore!!  [pie]

Offline fwdstuck

Yea, Most of us stooges fans on here know all there is to know about the shorts. If they had commentaries or documentaries. They would repeat stuff that we already knew. And if they had commentaries, they would of got stooge fans instead of stooge historians. And all they would of talked about is how funny the short is, instead of info (ruined commentary).

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The same speculation about future volumes has been going on at Home Theater Forum for some time. (see link)

The studios follow that website very closely, and in answer to all the Stooges speculation, Sony yesterday sent the following comment to HTF's webmaster...

There is a plan to release all the shorts in chronological order, as has been stated. Each volume will be just like the first four, in three-year increments. So, Volume 5, which will be announced in the near future, will have 1946-1948. It is the same pattern for every volume regardless of who is in them.

It would be difficult to release these on a specific schedule (say, one volume every four months) for a variety of reasons, including just that other titles need to be released, as well. But, one of those reasons has been speculated on and that is they are indeed being restored and remastered in sequence just like the releases. Because the team doing this wants to maintain the high quality that has been exhibited in the first volumes, that means some titles/years might take longer than others. Depends on element condition, lab capacity and so forth. It is a lot of work, but they think it better to do that than just rush these out to market. But the fans should rest assured that these are all planned out.

Offline metaldams

The same speculation about future volumes has been going on at Home Theater Forum for some time. (see link)

The studios follow that website very closely, and in answer to all the Stooges speculation, Sony yesterday sent the following comment to HTF's webmaster...

Thanks Brent.  This is all fine with me, it'll be worth the wait.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline moglia

Great News.  I for one like the format/pattern and am glad to hear they will not be changing it when Curly shorts become Shemp shorts etc....

Bring on Shemp!

xraffle

I don't mind waiting. I'm glad Sony is taking their time because if they rush these sets, then there's more of a chance that they'll screw things up. As long as they're definitely planning to release all the shorts, then I'm happy. Also, if these sets come out so fast, then some people won't be able to keep up and therefore, the demand will go down.

Offline archiezappa

Thanks for the update. That's excellent news!  I can't wait for the next volume to come out.  But I am glad that they're giving the Stooges the TLC that they have long deserved.  When the time comes, we'll have the best set of Stooges films, ever.  And that's definitely worth the wait.  Soitenly!