Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Volume 5?

Offline JLNeibaur

They can only legally put out the Roach films released through Pathe, as those are public domain.  The ones released through MGM (beginning late 1927, I think) are under copyright.  I am told there are plans to release a comprehensive set of Roach-era Chase talkies if the complete set of Roach Our Gang films sells well (that set is coming out at the end of this month).  One would think the Laurel and Hardy material would come out first, but who knows.  This might just be rumors, although the Our Gang set looks good.

Offline falsealarms

The wait continues. Sony has updated their schedule through 1/20 with no sign of volume 5. Unless something changes, it will be the longest wait between volumes since 1 and 2.

Volume 1 (1934-1936) = October 30 2007
Volume 2 (1937-1939) = May 27 2008 (about 7 months after)
Volume 3 (1940-1942) = August 26 2008 (3 months after)
Volume 4 (1943-1945) = October 7 2008 (about 6 weeks after)

Lets hope they don't follow this October-May pattern again. Really thought we would have seen vol 5 right before or right after Christmas. Maybe they are letting people catch up for the holidays though.

Offline Stooges#1

Sony could be planning something special with the transition to Shemp. Maybe a few bonus features, Interviews, perhaps even a feature film or two, maybe even 4 or 5 years instead of 3. There could be many reasons for this long wait, but it wouldnt be the first time that Sony realised their schedule and a dvd was added later on. Like for example right now December 23 has one release but i cant see that as being the only dvd released by Sony on that day.

stooged and confused

More than likey, they are letting the time between sets breath a bit, so they won't cut their throats and hurt sales by releasing them too quickly (5 weeks was pretty quick). I'd love them sooner, but it makes sense that enough time goes by so they can move the most units for each set without shooting themselves in the foot. Plus, with this economy, they are probably taking more time between product since sales, overall, are down in the DVD sales industry (let alone retail in general).

Dog Hambone

That's a very good point. The only volume released after the recession really got going was in October, 2007. Still, I got kinda spoiled with the quick release times between #2, #3, & #4.

stooged and confused

I actually heard back from my Sony contact yesterday, and at this writing, she has NO information on any new Three Stooges releases. I'm not indicating that anyone here should be overly concerned about this. They can announce a release at any given time. Perhaps, they are waiting due to sluggish economy issues or giving fans a chance to catch up (as I mentioned in an earler post). Possibly, the next set of shorts aren't finished being restored as of yet. Who knows? It seems they will be keeping their word and release the entire series, but if it will be by the end of 2009, as originally stated, is unknown. At the time Sony gave a 2009 projection, the economy wasn't in the crapper.

Offline metaldams

At the time Sony gave a 2009 projection, the economy wasn't in the crapper.

But don't they realize Shemp is more important than eating three square meals a day?

I say that jokingly....somewhat.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Six and 7 8s

Yeah... I'd say it'd be a bit crappy if they decided to drop the series in the middle set of volumes. Not sure if anything like that has happened before, but can you honestly see Sony stopping production on the DVD's when they're right smack-dab in the middle of the volumes? I mean I'd be surprised to see it just quit right then and there. If so... I'm going to be one upset individual. Hell... I mean I was ready to pay +$30.00 for these DVD's without even thinking twice. Because honestly... money is not an option whe nit concerns something as great as this series of volumes. It's never been done before and I've wanted this to happen for the past 15 years.

tc

what happened to first amendent?  i have been warned for my opinion , dont say what you like , youll be warn, joke !
 If you had bothered to capitalize when needed the warning would have been removed. I didn't even bother to read the content of your post because the post was a mess, so it has nothing to do with your opinion. Now I have to increase the warning level since you blatantly disregarded the first warning.

Dunrobin and Team Stooge work hard on creating the content of this website for you and others to enjoy. I hardly think asking you to type in a half-way decent manner is asking too much.

S#1
 Upgraded to banned.

stooged and confused

My guess is that if Sony took out an ad in Entertainment weekly advertising sets 1-4, they want to get the benefit of moving as many units before they flood the market with future volumes.

stooged and confused

I believe they have the shorts because they were available at one time on VHS 

TC--

They have the shorts, but to properly RESTORE them is a whole different ballgame compared to what was released back in the VHS days. Also, not all 190 have been released on VHS or any other home video formats. Many Shemp, all Joe Bessers have never seen the light of day on home video by Sony. There have bben bootleg sets, but no official releases of the 190 Columbia shorts.

xraffle

what happened to first amendent?  i have been warned for my opinion , dont say what you like , youll be warn, joke !

I guess "Please capitalize words when needed" means: warned for a dissenting opinion. :-\

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

I gave you the warning for your horrible typing, not your opinion. If you had bothered to read the posting guidelines you would know that we require proper grammar, capitalization and punctuation. This makes the boards easier to read. Not doing this shows that you are either lazy or that you need to go back to the third grade.

As for the "first amendent" (sic) this site is not run by the United States Government and is not a democracy. While I encourage people to speak their minds all I ask is that you take the extra two seconds to hit the fucking Shift Key when it's needed.

Half of the people that get warned for grammar/punctuation/capitalization quickly fix the problem and get their warnings removed immediately while the other half flip out as if they have been raped and wind up getting themselves banned from the site. I'm leaving it up to you to decide which way you choose to go.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Six and 7 8s

I have no idea what just happened but anyways... you make a pretty good point there "stooged and confused". I would love to see this go all the way to the Joe Besser days. Regrettably... I wish I did more recording back in the good old VHS days. (Especially when they were mildly popular on the AMC channel). I've anticipated so much for when I get to watch the episode "Blunder Boys". By the way... anybody have all the volumes yet? And who sold their other DVD's? I've only sold the ones that the episodes I already contain in the new volumes.

Offline metaldams

And who sold their other DVD's? I've only sold the ones that the episodes I already contain in the new volumes.

I trashed my VHS tapes that have all three shorts in one of the currently released DVD volumes, so some shelf space has been saved.  I won't throw out the other tapes until all the shorts are released.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

I have no idea what just happened but anyways... you make a pretty good point there "stooged and confused". I would love to see this go all the way to the Joe Besser days. Regrettably... I wish I did more recording back in the good old VHS days. (Especially when they were mildly popular on the AMC channel). I've anticipated so much for when I get to watch the episode "Blunder Boys". By the way... anybody have all the volumes yet? And who sold their other DVD's? I've only sold the ones that the episodes I already contain in the new volumes.

The only DVDs I sold are Goofs on the Loose, Stooges On The Run, and Curly Classics. I did sell a bunch of VHS tapes as well, but not all of them. I want to sell Stooges At Work, but I haven't had the time to put it on Ebay yet.

Sten

I trashed my VHS tapes that have all three shorts in one of the currently released DVD volumes, so some shelf space has been saved.  I won't throw out the other tapes until all the shorts are released.

To each their own, Metal. I keep my VHS so I can tape over them. I'm also concerned about shelf space, so I have 2 big cardboard boxes full of VHS under the bed (especially so there is no room for sneaky exterminators to hide after planting pests in my house so they can eventually sneak around front, act like they are just passing through the neighborhood and ask if I need them!).

I love these volumes and I eagerly await volume 5. Surely they will release it to finish out the Curly shorts, since he is the most popular Stooge. How well might they know that many fans may have all the Curly shorts they want now because they stopped making them into his sick period where he wasn't so enjoyable anymore?

Offline metaldams

To each their own, Metal. I keep my VHS so I can tape over them. I'm also concerned about shelf space, so I have 2 big cardboard boxes full of VHS under the bed (especially so there is no room for sneaky exterminators to hide after planting pests in my house so they can eventually sneak around front, act like they are just passing through the neighborhood and ask if I need them!).

My VHS tapes were the commercial ones, so I don't think you can tape over those.  Yeah, they're now trash, nobody in their right mind is buying VHS tapes of old movies these days.  If they were, I'd be living on my own private island called "Xanadu," sleeping with a dame who likes to do puzzles.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You can record over commercial VHS tapes by placing a piece of tape over the square indent that is on the side of the cassette that is facing you when you put it in the VCR. On recordable tapes this indent has a flimsy little smaller square that is attached that can be removed when you want make sure you don't accidentally record over something you want to keep.

It's been so long since I've dealt with VHS I'm surprised I remember that. All I need now is some little snot to ask me what "VHS" and "VCR" are and I'll feel like even more of an old fart.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

You can record over commercial VHS tapes by placing a piece of tape over the square indent that is on the side of the cassette that is facing you when you put it in the VCR.

Now he tells me.   [cry]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline garv

It seems they will be keeping their word and release the entire series, but if it will be by the end of 2009, as originally stated, is unknown. At the time Sony gave a 2009 projection, the economy wasn't in the crapper.

If anything, in times like these, we need the Stooges more than ever.
Read reviews, news, and features from the world of soused cinema at "Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide." http://boozemovies.blogspot.com/

Offline archiezappa

If anything, in times like these, we need the Stooges more than ever.

I totally agree.  Especially since most of their shorts are about being poor, not having a job, homeless, etc.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm sure they'll end up releasing the entire Columbia canon BUT we're just going to have to be more patient. This economy really doesn't warrant Sony releasing the volumes in a timely fashion and it would be better for them and the Stooges legacy as a whole if they slowed down on the releases to allow the sales numbers to blossom. If they were to throw a volume out there every two months are so it would hurt sales: in fact I believe they did that for the time between vols. three and four and that's exactly what happened.

It's a wise move on Sony's part and really the only logical move they can make. This also isn't taking to account any changes to the format that might be planned since we are getting into the Shemp shorts and there have been whispers of adding more years onto the volumes, etc. That could also delay matters.

Offline metaldams

I'm sure they'll end up releasing the entire Columbia canon BUT we're just going to have to be more patient. This economy really doesn't warrant Sony releasing the volumes in a timely fashion and it would be better for them and the Stooges legacy as a whole if they slowed down on the releases to allow the sales numbers to blossom. If they were to throw a volume out there every two months are so it would hurt sales: in fact I believe they did that for the time between vols. three and four and that's exactly what happened.

It's a wise move on Sony's part and really the only logical move they can make. This also isn't taking to account any changes to the format that might be planned since we are getting into the Shemp shorts and there have been whispers of adding more years onto the volumes, etc. That could also delay matters.

Agreed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline garv

This also isn't taking to account any changes to the format that might be planned since we are getting into the Shemp shorts and there have been whispers of adding more years onto the volumes, etc. That could also delay matters.

I hope format changes include the inclusion of extras, as had originally been announced before Volume 1 was released.  I'd love to see some of the solo Shemp, Joe Besser, or even Joe DeRita shorts included. 
Read reviews, news, and features from the world of soused cinema at "Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide." http://boozemovies.blogspot.com/