Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Paul Newman dead at 83

Offline falsealarms

Paul Newman, one of the last of the great 20th-century movie stars, died Friday at his home in Westport, Conn. He was 83.

More @ http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/28/movies/28newman.html?hp=&pagewanted=all

I'm probably in the minority, but my favorite Newman flick is Slap Shot.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Offline FineBari3

I'm probably in the minority, but my favorite Newman flick is Slap Shot.

One of my all-time favorites. The first thing I thought of when I read the news today: 

McGrath: "Pretty soon you'll be hanging up the blades and retiring the ax. Don't you forget that it was Joe McGrath that trained you for the front office." 

Reg Dunlop: "Awww...fuck it." (Quote is from memory...it may be wrong!)

RIP, Paul Newman. I'm sorry I don't remember him for a better movie, but it is my favorite out of all the ones he was in!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

I suspect most people would say that Cool Hand Luke or The Hustler are their favorite Newman works.

CNN.com poll tonight -

What is your favorite Paul Newman film?
"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"   7%    11177
"The Hustler"   5%    7857
"Cool Hand Luke"   28%    45372
"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"   31%    50792
"The Sting"   20%    32149
"The Verdict"   5%    7523
"The Color of Money"   6%    9507
Total Votes: 164377

But Slap Shot does it for me.

[youtube=425,350]5i_D6oQO6b8[/youtube]

Offline FineBari3

I cant believe that Slap Shot isn't even on the list! Really.

We were trying to name all of Paul Newman's films last night, and we got about 6 or 7, and then I went to IMDB and we all just groaned because we forgot to mention 'The Sting', (one of my absolute favorites). We also talked about how he was a man's man....like Steve McQueen. Are there any more 'man's man' actors now?

The commentary by the Hanson Brothers on the DVD mentions how down-to-earth Paul Newman was and how nice he was to everybody. He would go to the bar after the day's shooting and hang out and have a few beers. This clip is him not being nice, and sparks the Chief's rise to glory with one line!

[youtube=425,350]Aam5BONTFio[/youtube]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

I cant believe that Slap Shot isn't even on the list! Really.

We were trying to name all of Paul Newman's films last night, and we got about 6 or 7, and then I went to IMDB and we all just groaned because we forgot to mention 'The Sting', (one of my absolute favorites). We also talked about how he was a man's man....like Steve McQueen. Are there any more 'man's man' actors now?

The commentary by the Hanson Brothers on the DVD mentions how down-to-earth Paul Newman was and how nice he was to everybody. He would go to the bar after the day's shooting and hang out and have a few beers. This clip is him not being nice, and sparks the Chief's rise to glory with one line!

[youtube=425,350]Aam5BONTFio[/youtube]

Now THAT is real hockey :)

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I'm watching a weekend news program who is about to run a sappy piece on "What Paul Newman Wanted to be Remembered Most For"  ....

I HOPE they mention his salad dressing!!!   (Why do ya 'spoze he called it "Newman's Own"!?)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
The news folks saw fit to actually mention his salad dressings and such (as a helpful aside to his charitable work for kids with serious illness) - kudos to Paul! (and a "its your reasonable service" nod to the news folks).
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline falsealarms

Offline Double Deal Decker

A great loss. A truly talented actor and all around decent human being, ( and for a lot of people, just being a decent human being day in and day out can be a "stretch"). My favorite Newman movies are "Butch Cassidy" , ( of course), and "The Verdict", an often overlooked but truly great movie of his.  RIP, PAUL. You will be missed. Thanks for blessing us w/your talents.