Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Marjorie White films

· 12 · 2412

garysheski

Since I'm a Marjorie White fan, and this is not directly Stooge-related, two of the absolute WORST films I've ever seen are JUST IMAGINE, and THE BLACK CAMEL. JUST IMAGINE is the most ridiculous story I've ever seen, not jts for the terrible acting but the storyline itself: Scientists wake a guy up (the atrocious El Brendel) after he's been dead for 50 years, with  no real explanation WHY? Just to prove they can do it. ??? Then, the subplot inovles two guys flying an airplane to Mars to win the hand of Maureen O'Sullivan (!!!). When they get there, they're greeted by a chorus line of dancing monkeys and their Amazonish queen! The other film is THE BLACK CAMEL, and while it's a so-so Charlie Chan mystery (?) try to sit through an hour or so of Bela Lugosi meowing like a cat to his girlfriend Fifi D'Orsay, and watching El Brendel picking his nose, this atrocity is almost physically painful to watch! How did lovely, talented Marjorie get stuck in a couple of bowsers like these? She must have been truly hard-up for the money!

Offline metaldams

try to sit through an hour or so of Bela Lugosi meowing like a cat to his girlfriend Fifi D'Orsay

Easily.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Since I'm a Marjorie White fan, and this is not directly Stooge-related, two of the absolute WORST films I've ever seen are JUST IMAGINE, and THE BLACK CAMEL. JUST IMAGINE is the most ridiculous story I've ever seen, not jts for the terrible acting but the storyline itself: Scientists wake a guy up (the atrocious El Brendel) after he's been dead for 50 years, with  no real explanation WHY? Just to prove they can do it. ??? Then, the subplot inovles two guys flying an airplane to Mars to win the hand of Maureen O'Sullivan (!!!). When they get there, they're greeted by a chorus line of dancing monkeys and their Amazonish queen! The other film is THE BLACK CAMEL, and while it's a so-so Charlie Chan mystery (?) try to sit through an hour or so of Bela Lugosi meowing like a cat to his girlfriend Fifi D'Orsay, and watching El Brendel picking his nose, this atrocity is almost physically painful to watch! How did lovely, talented Marjorie get stuck in a couple of bowsers like these? She must have been truly hard-up for the money!
I've never heard of either of these films, but as soon as I get done typing this, I'll be at Amazon trying to buy them.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

garysheski

She did a total of 14 other films in her life besides Woman Haters, and except for a few like DIPLOMANIACS and SUNNY SIDE UP, the majority of the others like the 2 I mentioned, are simply GROSSS and AWFUL!! Worse than Ed Wood, and goofier than ERASERHEAD! But she was Terrific in all of them!

garysheski

No accounting for taste, is there? Do you own the "Director's Edition" of ERASERHEAD? Sounds like you do!

Offline FineBari3

Scientists wake a guy up (the atrocious El Brendel) after he's been dead for 50 years, with  no real explanation WHY?

Louie, he's dissin' your boy!!!   [afro]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

xraffle

I've never heard of either of these films, but as soon as I get done typing this, I'll be at Amazon trying to buy them.

I was confused myself, but when I checked IMDB, it turns out that she did indeed do 14 other films. Here are all the films that she was in:

1. Woman Haters (1934) .... Mary
2. Her Bodyguard (1933) .... Lita
3. Diplomaniacs (1933) .... Dolores
4. Hollywood Halfbacks (1931)
5. Possessed (1931) .... Vernice LaVerne
6. Broadminded (1931) .... Penny Packer
7. The Black Camel (1931) (uncredited) .... Rita Ballou
8. Women of All Nations (1931) (uncredited) .... Margie aka Pee Wee
9. Charlie Chan Carries On (1931) .... Sadie
10. Oh, for a Man (1930) .... Totsy Franklin
11. Just Imagine (1930) .... D-6
12. New Movietone Follies of 1930 (1930) .... Vera Fontaine
... aka Fox Movietone Follies of 1930
... aka Movietone Follies of 1930 (UK)
... aka Svenson's Big Night Out (USA: alternative title)
... aka Svenson's Wild Party (USA: alternative title)
13. Her Golden Calf (1930) .... Alice
... aka The Golden Calf (USA: poster title)
14. Sunnyside Up (1929) .... Bea Nichols
15. Happy Days (1929/I) .... Margie

Offline metaldams

No accounting for taste, is there? Do you own the "Director's Edition" of ERASERHEAD? Sounds like you do!

I'm assuming you're refering to my comment on Bela?  Well, as you can tell by my signature and avatar, I'm a big fan.  I know he was very hammy, though he could at times be a very good actor (see THE BLACK CAT, SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, NINOTCHKA, and he made the role of DRACULA), but no matter what, I always find him entertaining.  I actually think he had VERY good comic timing and was great in BROADMINDED.

Oh, and count me in as a DIPLOMANIACS fan.  One of the better Wheeler and Woolsey vehicles, kind of DUCK SOUP like.  I love it when they roll Marjorie out of that palstic body bag, or whatever it was (it's been awhile), for her introduction.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

This clip from Diplomaniacs was one of the first Wheeler & Woolsey clips I saw. If you never heard of them, check them out, as they are a great example of vaudeville humor captured in early sound films.

[youtube=425,350]nBBt-H8Oux8[/youtube]

I have forgotten how to put a YouTube clip on a post, so if anybody could tell me, I would LOVE know again! (I did click on the YouTube button, and put the link between the copied stuff, and it still didn't work!).

****Obviously I found out how to post the YouTube clip!**** Thanks, JazzBill!

(It's everything in the YouTube address after the = sign)
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline Single-O

Louie, he's dissin' your boy!!!   [afro]

Yeah, he's a jerk-off AND he probably likes Besser.

garysheski

Wheeler & woolsey weren't funny at all, just absurdly silly! their shtick makes the Stooges look like Lawrence Olivier, John Geilgud, and Richard Burton doing RICHARD III  !

Offline FineBari3

Wheeler & woolsey weren't funny at all, just absurdly silly! their shtick makes the Stooges look like Lawrence Olivier, John Geilgud, and Richard Burton doing RICHARD III  !

Oh, yeah...friggin-A...But that is what makes them nostalgic, that cheesy vaudeville stuff. I do enjoy their pre-code sometimes downright vulgar double entendre, and seeing them sing and dance. I would imagine this is as close to knowing what vaudeville comics were like back then. (That, and the early Vitaphone stuff).

Mar-Jean Zamperini