Shemp Howard
4 (11.4%)
Joe Besser
1 (2.9%)
Curly Joe DeRita
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Offline Baggie

Yeh I don't like The Big Store that much, but I'm a big fan of them, so I don't mind watching it now and again.
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline Senorita Rita

The Stooges' movies--I'm not sure where they went wrong.  Well I take that back--most of the problem was the fact that they were geared to children.  The shorts were well loved by children, and Curly was a major factor in getting young fans, but still--I wouldn't say that they were geared to children.  Twenty years later, you have to deal with concerned citizens' groups, etc., who claimed the fellows were too violent.
Well, I don't think that their "violence" was a make-or-break element to their humor in the first place, so I don't think it had as much to do with their inferior movies. They were old/less active, and their comedy was forcebly marketed towards young  kids who wouldn't understand or appreciate the complex gags or wordplay of their older films. I'm sure they appreciated the new generation of fans, but I do feel that the PC monster was growing, and the Stooges (along with Looney Tunes, old gangster films, etc.) were just victims of the time.
Speaking of PC, is anyone else as irritated as I am about Sesame Street taking Cookie Monster's cookies away? What genius made to corrolation between a muppet and childhood obesity in America? So unecessary. (Similar ideology led to the phasing out of one of my childhood muppet faves, Don Music, because producers/parents feared their kids would bang their heads on a piano, too.) In my opinion, if parents can't control their kids to the point that they may OD on pastries or attempt to run a saw over another person's head, then TV isn't the problem...
...to say the least, if not less...

Offline FineBari3

Speaking of PC, is anyone else as irritated as I am about Sesame Street taking Cookie Monster's cookies away? What genius made to corrolation between a muppet and childhood obesity in America? So unecessary. (Similar ideology led to the phasing out of one of my childhood muppet faves, Don Music, because producers/parents feared their kids would bang their heads on a piano, too.) In my opinion, if parents can't control their kids to the point that they may OD on pastries or attempt to run a saw over another person's head, then TV isn't the problem...

Yeah, irritated here about that!  My boyfriend said this morning that Hillary Clinton was sitting beside him on Good Morning America! It must be a Right Wing Conspiracy!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 07:00:29 AM by Dunrobin »
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline joe2

What the hell is wrong with you?? There is Moe.....the smart Stooge on and off camera..Larry, the Stooge that just wanted to get off the set to be with his wife....and Curly Just as ready to go home after shooting...but Curly was the pure idiot. Harpo cant compare... Laural cant...not even Costello can, tho he is in the same ball park......Babe Howard has never been equaled....deal with the truth!

Offline joe2

Well thats just silly. Larry had the least talent of all the good stooges.....I liked him too, but he was not even in the same ball park as the Howard Bros! But he did not care to be funny...he just did what Moe and Jules White told him what to do! For Larry, it was just a job.  Whithout that whacky hair, he wud never have even been a Stooge!  Str8nyuk

Pilsner Panther

Well thats just silly. Larry had the least talent of all the good stooges.....I liked him too, but he was not even in the same ball park as the Howard Bros! But he did not care to be funny...he just did what Moe and Jules White told him what to do! For Larry, it was just a job.  Whithout that whacky hair, he wud never have even been a Stooge!  Str8nyuk

Obviously, you just don't get Larry Fine. Denigrating his talent like you just did only means that his comic genius goes right past you... which is too bad for you, and has nothing to do with the greatness of Larry. "Did not care to be funny?" Bullshit.

>:(

There's no point in trying to explain Larry's comic persona to someone who apparently can't understand or appreciate it; as Fats Waller said when someone asked him what jazz is, "If you've got to ask, you'll never know."

:P

Offline joe2

Well, here we go! Im not gonna pull any punches here! Larry had no comedic skills, unless U think making silly faces is the hight of comedy. He was allowed to have a few lines  early on...but he was happy as hell to have no lines...Stooges was a paycheck for him..much as Chico of the Marx Bros.....Larry, much as I like him, was just a hair stooge. His personality made the Stooges a cool comedy team, but he was without a dougt, the laziest, no talent, no visable  funnyness...Diamond ring wearing, gold bracelet wearing, dead ass stooge! His legasy is hyped by the funky Joe and Curly Joe....But can U compare him to Moe? Or Curly? Or Shemp? Shit no..and he wud not want U to!   To Moe, it was a business, to shemp a new lease on film..to Jerry, a chance to make a good living with his big brother....To Larry Fine....a paycheck. str8Nyuk

Pilsner Panther

Well, here we go! Im not gonna pull any punches here! Larry had no comedic skills, unless U think making silly faces is the hight of comedy. He was allowed to have a few lines  early on...but he was happy as hell to have no lines...Stooges was a paycheck for him..much as Chico of the Marx Bros.....Larry, much as I like him, was just a hair stooge. His personality made the Stooges a cool comedy team, but he was without a dougt, the laziest, no talent, no visable  funnyness...Diamond ring wearing, gold bracelet wearing, dead ass stooge! His legasy is hyped by the funky Joe and Curly Joe....But can U compare him to Moe? Or Curly? Or Shemp? Shit no..and he wud not want U to!   To Moe, it was a business, to shemp a new lease on film..to Jerry, a chance to make a good living with his big brother....To Larry Fine....a paycheck. str8Nyuk

There's not one scrap of sense to your "argument." Larry is one of the most beloved film comedians of all time, all over the world. Anyone who has a sense of humor at all knows how funny he is, and how the Stooges wouldn't have been nearly as great as they were without him.

Watch "Punch Drunks" or "Uncivil Warriors" or "False Alarms" or "Goof On The Roof," and then tell me that Larry was only in it for the paycheck.

And "U" are, without a "dougt," unable to spell or write in anything that resembles coherent English. May that be your "legasy" before you get banned here. Oops, too late—

Shemps#1? It's your turn to apply the "anaesthetic," but this one's mine...

[bash]

« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 04:23:30 AM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline joe2

Well, I see Im arguing with a stone wall. Larry Fine was only funny at times cuz he went 10 or 20 episodes in a row without a funny line to render! So when he got a line, it was funny. Moe was an amazing stunt man, at his age. Curly was even better. Larry .....forget about it!  I suppose U think that Zeppo was a great Marx Bro??  There is only one comedy team where all of them were equally funny and talented....Not our Stooges, not Abott and Cos.....not Martin and Lewis........It is the Ritz Bros!!    str8nyuk
 Spelling, grammar, sentence structure, and general idiocy.

Offline Baggie

I have never spoken to a person who spoke as much bullshit as you. Larry made the Stooges as much as Shemp, Moe or Curly. Personally, Shemp is my favourite, and Curly my least favourite (excluding Joe Besser and Fat Fuck Derita). Curly just pulled faces and made noises, and that isn't really my cup of tea. (In fact you mentioned that you don't find people who pull faces funny, so just why is Curly your favourite?) Of course this is just my opinion, and I'm not going to say this is fact like you are Joe. Your opinions aren't law so stop making out that they are.

Secondly, the Marx Brothers to me are just as funny as the Stooges, just in a different way. You obviously don't know much about either the Stooges or Marx Bros.

First off, Chico Marx was a funny guy, and yes he needed the money more than the other brothers, but he loved being a comedian and was an essential part of the team. And yes, Harpo does rank amongst some of the best comedians of all time. (And in my opinion, Curly Howard doesn't). Harpo could be as funny as hell without ever even speaking a word.
 Zeppo WAS a great Marx Brother too. He played the love interest and straight man to the other boys, and once he left they found it hard to replace him. Allan Jones did a fairly decent job, but there was just something there with Zeppo that couldn't be replaced once he went.

Last of all, how dare you call Larry just a hair Stooge who was only in it for the money? Larry put 50 years of his life into the team and held them together. He never bailed out on Moe when they were going through tough times, and most of all, he was damn funny.

but he was not even in the same ball park

Plus, where the hell is this ball park you keep going on about?

I'm glad you're banned because if I had to put up with your bullshit much longer I would go crazy. Happy holidays asshole.

The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline kinderscenen

Okay, this'll go in several directions, but whatever...

Larry was the epitome of "stooge." (As in the general term, not as "the Stooges".)  'Nuff said.

You know, I never thought about the Stooges being older as a possible negative aspect. Granted, it meant that they couldn't do a lot of the stuff they'd done even in the early 50s, but they could still do the verbal gags. The quality of the movies....unfortunately, they (for the most part) were low-budget, which wouldn't have been too bad, but still...it would've been nice to see the fellows in a Bernds-directed effort, let's say, with a great budget--then the effects in "Orbit" wouldn't have looked like a rocket/spaceship in front of a screen. But hindsight is 20/20.

I don't get the idea of Cookie Monster suddenly being a role model (??!!!) for kids. "Hey, if Cookie Monster exercises, I will too!" Kids do exercise--at least they did back in my day 25+ years ago. Most of the time, our parents wanted us to sit down for a bit! Also, just how much cookie ever made it into his mouth, anyway. It seems that he'd crumble all of them up (seeing as he doesn't have an actual mouth), and they'd fall to the floor. If anything, he'd be cause for more kids to merely chew their food up and spit it out (thereby losing weight! ;-)

Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Pilsner Panther

I'm glad you're banned because if I had to put up with your bullshit much longer I would go crazy. Happy holidays asshole.

If the guy has a poor (and uninformed) opinion of Larry, he's entitled to it, of course. What got me annoyed was the way he improved the grammar and spelling in his posts for a little while after he was warned, but then went back into the same gobbeldygook mode of writing he'd been using before. It gives me a headache, trying to read that stuff, and Rob and Shemps#1 don't like it either... we've all made that clear, over and over again.

Besides, I think he was trolling by bashing Larry so hard, just trying to get a rise out of the people on this board; and we sure don't need any trolls here.

[smack]

Pilsner Panther

Okay, this'll go in several directions, but whatever...

Larry was the epitome of "stooge." (As in the general term, not as "the Stooges".)  'Nuff said.

You know, I never thought about the Stooges being older as a possible negative aspect. Granted, it meant that they couldn't do a lot of the stuff they'd done even in the early 50s, but they could still do the verbal gags. The quality of the movies....unfortunately, they (for the most part) were low-budget, which wouldn't have been too bad, but still...it would've been nice to see the fellows in a Bernds-directed effort, let's say, with a great budget--then the effects in "Orbit" wouldn't have looked like a rocket/spaceship in front of a screen. But hindsight is 20/20.

I give the Stooges a lot of credit for still doing hard slapstick into their mid-to-late 50's (right up until Shemp died), but there does come a point where you just can't do pratfalls and so on without hurting yourself. Buster Keaton never wanted to admit that, and it's surprising that he lived to be 70 (ironically, dying of lung cancer because he was a two-pack-a-day smoker).

"Garry Moore [an early talk-show host] recalls the alarming seriousness with which Buster took his New York TV programs in the late fifties and early sixties. Moore was always afraid that Buster would hurt himself while performing one of his celebrated acrobatic feats. He was taken aback when Buster had trouble jumping through a hoop, for he couldn't go through smoothly and kept hitting the edge with his shoes. Moore claimed that he couldn't stop Buster from doing it over and over until Buster's shins were literally bloody. Moore became so terrified that he stopped having Buster on the show."

—From "Buster Keaton, The Man Who Wouldn't Lie Down" by Tom Dardis (U. of Minnesota Press, 1979)

Now that's dedication all right, and all of those old-time performers who came up in vaudeville had that kind of work ethic. But in Keaton's case here, it bordered on insanity; he was about 60 years old at the time! So if the Stooges slowed down some in their later years, it's understandable; Moe in particular had sustained some serious injuries while making the Columbia shorts in the 30's, and Curly had broken his leg falling down a dumbwaiter shaft; the Stooges had definitely paid their dues, and they were entitled to take it a little easier.

I don't get the idea of Cookie Monster suddenly being a role model (??!!!) for kids. "Hey, if Cookie Monster exercises, I will too!" Kids do exercise--at least they did back in my day 25+ years ago. Most of the time, our parents wanted us to sit down for a bit! Also, just how much cookie ever made it into his mouth, anyway. It seems that he'd crumble all of them up (seeing as he doesn't have an actual mouth), and they'd fall to the floor. If anything, he'd be cause for more kids to merely chew their food up and spit it out (thereby losing weight! ;-)

Cookie Monster? Bah! My role model was Oscar the Grouch (can't you tell?).

[bitchin]

Offline Senorita Rita

but he was without a dougt, the laziest, no talent, no visable  funnyness...Diamond ring wearing, gold bracelet wearing, dead ass stooge!

I know this goof has already been banned, but LOL at the random hate!

As for favorite Stooge, mine is displayed in my avatar. I will say though that Curly was an absolutely brilliant comic character, and the only reason I hesitate using the phrase "comedy genius" is because the title  has been haphazardly applied to every comedian from Chaplin and Groucho to Carrot Top and Gallagher, greatly diminishing its value.
...to say the least, if not less...

Offline FineBari3

Jeez, I should have been reading this thread more often!!!!
YEAH!!!!   >:D
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline boom boom stooge

• Grapehead
  • nyuk,nyuk,nyuk. grrrr woof,woof.
I think i have 2 favorites and those are shemp and the crazy, looney curly.
if i have to choose beetwen them i'll choose curly .
hey, what's the idea!

Offline bustoff2

Well,there seems to be a lot of opinion on this Favorite Stooge thing...Im allmost afraid to voice my views, but I will forge ahead...Its Moe. I cant think of any comedian that is like him, he was a total orriginal. And I think the roles of Curly and Larry were inhanced by him.  Shemp had a sarcastic New York attitude that was good.....Curly was the consumate buffoon...Larry was the weak foil that surprized at times...But Moe was the glue that held it together....If I could talk to one of the Stooges, it would be Moe.  Thank you.
 Banned from posting for refusing to follow Posting Guidelines/multiple accounts.

Offline dbaxter1991

My uncle Wayne (who died in August) told me about his favorite Stooge and the opinions on Curly and Curly's replacements. He says that nothing should replace Curly, and I agree with him. Shemp is OK as a replacement, Joe is acting too much like Curly, and Curly Joe...NO NO NO I'm not even gonna say it...

Offline #1curlyfan

• Porcupine
  • Thought I looked good. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!
Actually, I have several favorite Stooges - Moe, Larry & Curly.  Their shorts really cracked me up.
LEONARD WEIRICH
SILVER SPRINGS MD

Offline jkrwild

I really like Curly, but I also like Moe and Larry as well. Shemp was not bad, but I really loved the orginal trio.

Jkrwild

Offline dbaxter1991

Seriously, I am a huge fan of Curly!! Every Saturday and Sunday, I tune into Spike TV, even to watch any Curly short I have or haven't seen before. When it's tuned into Shemp, I leave it on because he's OK even if he was with the boys in vaudeville before Curly came along.

REMINDER----JOE AND CURLY JOE SUCK!!!!! DON'T EVER BROADCAST THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
REMINDER----JOE AND CURLY JOE SUCK!!!!! DON'T EVER BROADCAST THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind."*  [rotfl]

*Terry Pratchett, Eric

Offline stoogesarepimp

My favorite stooge has to be shemp.  I think that he is one of the funniest stooges.
Go view my friends Three Stooges message board at http://stoogesboards.proboards55.com/index.cgi

xraffle

My favorite stooge is Curly. However, I also like Shemp. Joe isn't the best, but he's acceptable. Curly-Joe wasn't very good. Very few people like Joe. That's the reason why his shorts are rare. Only 6 of his shorts are shown on TV today and none of them were released on VHS or DVD.