Shemp Howard
4 (11.4%)
Joe Besser
1 (2.9%)
Curly Joe DeRita
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Offline Robbie883

My favorite stooge is Larry. He always has the funniest reactions if you pay attention to him. He also says the dumbest stuff and it is quite funny.  But as for Joe Besser, I don't like him because he was a whiney person in his shorts and I just find him annoying. I like Joe DeRita because I thought that he in some cases said some humerous things. And with their advancing age, I feel he was the right person for the job because he had more of a verbal sence if humor in my eyes.

Pilsner Panther

This is another question that's come up a lot here. For me, Moe, no two ways about it. Larry a close second, Curly and Shemp tied for third, and as for the two Joes... well, they did their best. So, E for effort there, if nothing else.

My favorite "Moe Moments" are when another Stooge is misbehaving— thinking he's getting away with it— and then the camera cuts over to Moe doing that slow burn of his. The punch bowl scene with Curly ("Oh, a tootsie-fruitsie!") in "An Ache In Every Stake" is a great example, and it always makes me fall out laughing, no matter how many times I've seen it. Only W.C. Fields, Oliver Hardy, Jimmy Finlayson, and Edgar Kennedy were as great as Moe was at doing the slow burn!

:D  :D  :D

xraffle

My favorite stooge is Larry. He always has the funniest reactions if you pay attention to him. He also says the dumbest stuff and it is quite funny.  But as for Joe Besser, I don't like him because he was a whiney person in his shorts and I just find him annoying. I like Joe DeRita because I thought that he in some cases said some humerous things. And with their advancing age, I feel he was the right person for the job because he had more of a verbal sence if humor in my eyes.
Larry is a very funny stooge. He is too underrated, which is very disappointing.

ShempThePimp

Shemp is the best stooge by far , but i dont like when people hate Joe Besser and Curly-Joe DeRita they were all stooge they help keep it alive when Curly and Shemp passed away

Offline ZEKE

Curly 1, Larry 2, Shemp 3, Moe 4, (tough decisions), Joe x 2 don't like much.
 Especially like Larry's "Ahhh, a TARANTULA!!!"--Disorder in the Court.
ZEKE---in AJAX-(G.T.A.), Canada.

xraffle

Here is how I rank the stooges:

1) Curly
2) Shemp
3) Larry
4) Moe
5) Joe
6) Curly-Joe

Offline Billybagobagels

• Porcupine
  • Grapehead
  • "Dr. Windbag, I presume?"
    • Welcome To Baby Champ!
Moe is my favourite Stooge, but for reasons I don't think were mentioned here before.

I don't think his talent matched that of his brothers. But he was the heart and "brains" of the Stooges. If it wasn't for his energy and drive off stage and camera, pushing the boys forward, organizing finances, and finding opportunities to display their talent, I don't think we would be discussing the Stooges today.

Pilsner Panther

Moe is my favourite Stooge, but for reasons I don't think were mentioned here before.

I don't think his talent matched that of his brothers. But he was the heart and "brains" of the Stooges. If it wasn't for his energy and drive off stage and camera, pushing the boys forward, organizing finances, and finding opportunities to display their talent, I don't think we would be discussing the Stooges today.

I have to disagree. I think Moe was a very fine comedian, with a truly great sense of timing (see my remarks about the "slow burn," above). There's also the scene in "An Ache In Every Stake" where Moe swings a real axe at Curly's head and misses by the blink of an eye. The proof that the axe is real is that it takes a chunk of wood out of the ice wagon!

Moe had been working in films and on stage— even on riverboats— since he was in short pants, and he learned his craft from a lot of the best slapstick comics of the time.

[stooges]

Offline Billybagobagels

• Porcupine
  • Grapehead
    • Welcome To Baby Champ!
Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that Moe was not a talented comedian; I think he was. (I just happen to appreciate his brothers' talent more, but that's me). What I meant to say was that Moe's skills offstage were especially important in the success of the Stooges.

Which particular Stooge is anyone's favourite is, of course, a matter of personal taste.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 02:34:28 PM by Billybagobagels »

xraffle

I have to agree. Moe's timing is excellent. I remember a scene in "Shivering Sherlocks" where Shemp accidentally threw eggs on Moe's face. In anger, Moe threw a pot at Shemp and he misses because Shemp ducked at the right time.

In my opinion, Moe, Larry, Curly, and Shemp had great talents. All of them had their own unique ways of being funny.

Offline Billybagobagels

• Porcupine
  • Grapehead
    • Welcome To Baby Champ!
Points noted.

I guess another question is whether or not Larry or Shemp could have assumed Moe's role if Moe had suffered the stroke. Perhaps Moe was really the only indespensable Stooge. Although I've seem Larry and Shemp in some mean roles, I'm not sure either one could have pulled off Moe's on screen character.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 11:37:20 AM by Billybagobagels »

xraffle

Interesting question you brought up. I have no idea what would have happened if Moe was the one who suffered a stroke. In my opinion, Moe was an irreplaceable stooge. No one could play a better boss than Moe.

Offline kfdodgerfan

I think Moe is the best actor. Delivered the scripted lines very well.
I think Larry is the most musically talented. Could sing and play all the instruments
I am debating who was the funniest. Curly or Shemp. After watching many episodes on DVD I am split 50/50.

Offline Billybagobagels

• Porcupine
  • Grapehead
    • Welcome To Baby Champ!
Could any of the Stooges other than Larry play a musical instrument?

I've heard that Larry was an excellent violinist, but could also play any other instrument he touched.

xraffle

I think Moe is the best actor. Delivered the scripted lines very well.
I think Larry is the most musically talented. Could sing and play all the instruments
I am debating who was the funniest. Curly or Shemp. After watching many episodes on DVD I am split 50/50.

Curly and Shemp are both funny is their own way. Even though Curly is my favorite, I also like Shemp a lot. Joe and Curly-Joe were alright, but they were nothing compared to Curly and Shemp.

Offline kfdodgerfan

I think I read somewhere that Curly was excellent percussionist in likes of "Bring on da Noise" where you played the trash can etc.

Could any of the Stooges other than Larry play a musical instrument?

I've heard that Larry was an excellent violinist, but could also play any other instrument he touched.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I just added a poll to this thread - I don't know why we didn't do that sooner, considering how much traffic this thread gets.  I've left the voting open indefinitely, and I set it to allow members to change their vote (if they change their minds.)

Please feel free to cast your vote, even if you've already posted your favorite in a reply.

Offline Sr. Peedro Alvarez

As much as I love Curly, I actually picked Moe. The Stooges are nothing without Moe.
Glad To Meet Me.

Pilsner Panther

I think I read somewhere that Curly was excellent percussionist in likes of "Bring on da Noise" where you played the trash can etc.

It seems that he was; you can see him playing the spoons in both "Beer and Pretzels" and "Disorder In the Court." It actually takes some skill to play the spoons... go out to the kitchen and try it!

xraffle

It seems that he was; you can see him playing the spoons in both "Beer and Pretzels" and "Disorder In the Court." It actually takes some skill to play the spoons... go out to the kitchen and try it!

Yeah, Curly also plays the spoons in "Violent Is The Word For Curly." It does take skills to play it.

Offline Brian43123

Curly because he is just so happy all the time, and he was the biggest pimp in real life.

All right, here's my 2 cents.

6. Joe: The worst Stooge. Hey, if you can't take Moe's heat, get out of the Stooge shorts. F
5. Curly Joe: Too late for the shorts, but even if he was there, his comedy would be tame like Joe, although it would be less agitatng. D
4. Larry: Not usually the star of a Stooge short, but it wouldn't be one without him. When he's funny, he's a riot. B
3. Shemp: The most qualified actor of all of them, Shemp was only a step down from Curly, but miles ahead of Joe and Curly Joe. A-
2. Moe: He is the one who made violence funny. His verbal jokes are good, but his physical slapstick humor is timeless. A
1. Curly: The definition of Stooge. He had most of the best lines, took some of the most severe beatng by Moe, and had the perfect goof look. Impossible to replace! A+

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Offline Mr. Snrub

Larry's my personal favorite Stooge simply because his lines make me laugh the loudest. "How time flies!" in Playing the Ponies; "Shut up!" and "You burnt my little bugle!" in I Can Hardly Wait; "Come on, stop dancing around!" and "I had a dollar once..." in Cash and Carry.

Offline Mr. Snrub

Neither Joe nor Curly Joe have ever made me laugh ever.