Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Volume 4 questions

Guest · 23 · 6458

stooged and confused

I am expecting my review copy of Volume 4 either next week or the following week. Sony sends out advanced sets 2-3 weeks prior to the street release date.

If you have any questions or concerns about the next series of shorts, post them here and I will address them for you.

xraffle

I have one question: How does "Micro-Phonies" look?

Offline locoboymakesgood

Yeah I'd love to hear about Micro-Phonies. That's anther one, like "A-Plumbing.." and "Pullman" that need a good clean up job.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

Yeah I'd love to hear about Micro-Phonies. That's anther one, like "A-Plumbing.." and "Pullman" that need a good clean up job.

A lot of episodes need good clean up, but "Micro-Phonies" is the one I'm dying to see the most. That's because it's one of their best episodes and is in poor shape, with the bright picture and the jump on Christine McIntyre's line. And I know some people who don't really like the stooges, but when I show them "Micro-Phonies," they laugh their heads off. It's a rather unique episode that almost everyone I know enjoys.

Offline JazzBill

I'm hoping for a good cleaned up version of "The Yokes On Me". Maybe with clearer sound I'll be able to figure out if the old man says "bastard", or not. 
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

stooged and confused

A lot of episodes need good clean up, but "Micro-Phonies" is the one I'm dying to see the most. That's because it's one of their best episodes and is in poor shape, with the bright picture and the jump on Christine McIntyre's line. And I know some people who don't really like the stooges, but when I show them "Micro-Phonies," they laugh their heads off. It's a rather unique episode that almost everyone I know enjoys.

Yeah, that short is one of my favorites and needs a superior restoration. I'm sure that it will look amazing if the same care goes into this set as in the previous ones. That splice/jump with Christine has always bugged me!!

stooged and confused

I'm hoping for a good cleaned up version of "The Yokes On Me". Maybe with clearer sound I'll be able to figure out if the old man says "bastard", or not. 

The audio on the VHS release was so tin and flat sounding and the video was too soft...I've never seen a stellar print of "Yoke"--not even at a Stooge film festival in the 80's at Northwestern University where they showed all of the banned titles. It's where I saw "You Nazty Spy!", "No Dough, Boys" and others not suitable for TV broadcast for the first time.

Offline locoboymakesgood

You Nazty Spy! and No Dough Boys were out of rotation in the 80s? Wow. I didn't know that.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
You Nazty Spy! and No Dough Boys were out of rotation in the 80s? Wow. I didn't know that.

They were not... none of the 190 shorts have ever been withheld from distribution by Columbia.

Individual stations have made some exclusions over the years, decisions made by their own programmers.

stooged and confused

They were not... none of the 190 shorts have ever been withheld from distribution by Columbia.

Individual stations have made some exclusions over the years, decisions made by their own programmers.
That's correct..these shorts were banned on Channel 32 in Chicago at that time along with certain "violent" acts..anything regarding the use of scissors were edited out. Each station had their own policy on what to or not to show.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Still wasn't aware of that. Interesting to know.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

I can't wait to see a nice clean copy of "If a Body Meets a Body" , that one always made me smile. A remake of  Laurel and Hardy's (1930) 3 Reel Short THE LAUREL-HARDY MURDER CASE . I love that short but the stooges make it work a little better and move a little faster . 

Offline archiezappa

I, personally, can't wait to see "Dizzy Detectives" fully restored.  That's one of my favorites. 

MOE:  Where's your gun?

CURLY:  The landlady's baby was crying, so I gave it to the baby to play with.

Offline Justin T

Count me in as one of the ones waiting with anticipation to see how well they restored
Micro-Phonies. Its a great one thats LONG been overdue for a cleanup.

Also looking foward to some other ones on this set that needed some cleanup also
like No Dough Boys and The Yokes On Me
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

stooged and confused

My advanced review copy has shipped from Sony and should be here by Wednesday. I will post on the "Micro Phonies" status ASAP and do a full review by the weekend!

xraffle

I will post on the "Micro Phonies" status ASAP

Thanks so much! I really appreciate that. I'm so anxious to hear how that looks.

stooged and confused

Thanks so much! I really appreciate that. I'm so anxious to hear how that looks.

Well, Volume 4 just arrived FedEx and I stopped what I was doing to view "Micro Phonies."

Besides the fact that it's my favorite Curly episode, I've always hated how all home video releases have had that jump/splice cut in Christine's dialogue. Well, it has been FULLY restored!! The print looks great (a bit of grain, but it must be from the film stock used).

FYI--notice how long it takes for Larry to have any lines to recite--almost half way through!!

And with the print as clear as it is, you can really see Curly struggling to hide under the piano during the studio chase scene.

You can also see Moe moving his lips in sync with Curly's line delivery in certain scenes!

Finally, it is very noticeable that the records being thrown at the end are felt, cardboard or cloth..that's how clear the print is!

I will get through as many titles later today as possible and will finish them on Sunday and write a full review (I have client functions on Friday and Saturday, so I won't be able to view on those days).

Keep posted!!

Offline Benno123

Awesome news about "Micro Phonies!"  Now I'm looking forward to October 7 more than I was before!  I am happy that Sony is getting the releases done correctly this time, though I still wish for some bonus material!  But the remastering is bonus enough for me right now!  Thanks for the update!

xraffle

Well, Volume 4 just arrived FedEx and I stopped what I was doing to view "Micro Phonies."

Besides the fact that it's my favorite Curly episode, I've always hated how all home video releases have had that jump/splice cut in Christine's dialogue. Well, it has been FULLY restored!! The print looks great (a bit of grain, but it must be from the film stock used).

That is great news. It's good to hear that episode has beautiful picture with no dialogue jump. I can't wait to see it myself. Thanks so much for posting this.

Offline fwdstuck

What great news!!!! I couldn't remember were the jump in Christine's line was at. Its one short I don't have on VHS. Could anybody post a video of the splice. Thanks

Offline mark32570

Great news indeed. Can't wait.
As for extras, I still think we will get some,
but they are waiting for the Shemp only releases,
or even the Joe set, to impove sales on those sets.
We'll see.
"For you, I have thee grand surprise"
"So do I, if you only knew it"

Offline Stooges#1

Its great to hear that you've received your copy S&C.

stooged and confused

Count me in as one of the ones waiting with anticipation to see how well they restored
Micro-Phonies. Its a great one thats LONG been overdue for a cleanup.

Also looking foward to some other ones on this set that needed some cleanup also
like No Dough Boys and The Yokes On Me

"No Dough Boys" looks really good with the exception of the soft scenes that are inherent in all prints I've ever seen. I feel that's just the way some of the sequences were shot.

"The Yoke's On Me" is also a major improvement, but the audio is still flat and tinny with no bass whatsoever. It's still better than the VHS version by far, but there is no low end on that title's audio!

Five more shorts to view on Sunday and I'll have my full review ready.