Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

For Those Who Remember the Cigarette Commercial

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Although old and most corny, they say it all.
"More Doctors Smoke Camel"
[youtube=425,350]fIN8MmMloZE&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

AmalgamatedMoron

Although old and most corny, they say it all.
"More Doctors Smoke Camel"

Even that surprised me.  I know how well advertised and accepted smoking was back in the day, but "More Doctors Smoke Camel"!  [confused2] 

You know, I can't remember the last time I saw an advertisement for cigarettes.  Haven't they all pretty much been banned?  I'm an ex-smoker, and even I think the level to which smoking and smokers have been persecuted of late, is BS.  I don't know if some of the issues where I live are just state wide, or if they are happening across the country.  For example, here in the St. Louis and broader state wide Missouri area, we've had issues with people wanting to make ALL public places "smoke-free".  Even bars and night clubs!  Now how stupid and asinine is that?  They won't even allow smoking sections in restaurants.  I'm not exactly sure what the law is relative to this, but many restaurants here have gone "smoke free".   

It's gotten so bad that some in the Missouri Legislature want to ban all smoking at any medical facility. I'm not sure of the current status of that proposal, but my wife works at a local hospital and smoking is completely banned on the premises, period!  There's not a single designated smoking area anywhere on the hospital's property, and it's the largest hospital in the state!  If you are visiting someone in the hospital, or worse yet, are a patient yourself, you have to leave the hospital's property to smoke, not just step outside it's doors.  Total cutthroat nonsense.

I always point out to smoker's who act coy about the health issues related to smoking: "Hey, you are sucking on something that is on FIRE"!  OK, let's just be candid here.  But none the less, I have no problem if they choose to do so.  If you enjoy em', smoke em'.  Just provide me a non-smoking section when I eat out, and provide the smokers a place to light up at places like hospitals, and we can all get along.  Right?  It's not so hard if we can keep the smoking police out of the government.

Offline FineBari3

Hell, most places in the East have been smoke-free for almost a decade.  Here in Pittsburgh, there has been a smoking ban for just a few years. Amusement parks have smoking areas, because you can't just walk around the park now and smoke. Forget about smoking in line; that has been verboten for over a decade in amusement parks.

Back when I used to smoke, I was a high school teacher. The entire campus of the high school was smoke-free, so we would cram 5 teachers into a car and drive around the neighborhood and smoke when we had our prep period. How times have changed; back in the 1970's in high schools they had smoking areas with couches for the STUDENTS!

I remember going to a bar in 2005 in NY state, where they have banned smoking everywhere. They had smoking there, and had 'ash trays' that were Altoids boxes. They asked you to sign a petition, and everybody was smoking.

The Altoids boxes were there for when the cops came in to 'raid' the place. They would close the lids and throw them into the garbage. Apparently they lost thousands of dollars because no one came to the bar, and by allowing them to smoke there, they made enough money to pay the fine.

I am so glad that I do not smoke anymore, as I was diagnosed with asthma in 2004, and quit cold turkey. I do feel bad for the people who smoke and go out to bars. I think they should be allowed to have smoking bars, and say that in advertising. I mean, everybody smokes at the bar. It's what you do there besides drink.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Lefty

Here at the other end of Pennsylvania, while Philadelphia has been smoke-free for a couple of years now, I am delighted that the rest of the area will join in within 2 weeks, and my bowling alley goes smoke-free tomorrow, just in time for league play.  I don't know which I anticipate more -- this, or seeing "The Yoke's On Me" in Volume 4 when it comes out.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Even that surprised me.  I know how well advertised and accepted smoking was back in the day, but "More Doctors Smoke Camel"!  [confused2] 

You know, I can't remember the last time I saw an advertisement for cigarettes.  Haven't they all pretty much been banned?  I'm an ex-smoker, and even I think the level to which smoking and smokers have been persecuted of late, is BS.  I don't know if some of the issues where I live are just state wide, or if they are happening across the country.  For example, here in the St. Louis and broader state wide Missouri area, we've had issues with people wanting to make ALL public places "smoke-free".  Even bars and night clubs!  Now how stupid and asinine is that?  They won't even allow smoking sections in restaurants.  I'm not exactly sure what the law is relative to this, but many restaurants here have gone "smoke free".   

(from wikipedia ... take it or leave it as to its accuracy)

In April 1970, Congress passed the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act banning the advertising of cigarettes on television and radio starting on January 2, 1971. The Virginia Slims brand was the last commercial shown, with "a 60-second revue from flapper to Female Lib", shown at 11:59 p.m. on January 1 during a break on The Tonight Show.

Smokeless tobacco ads, on the other hand, remained on the air until a ban took effect on August 28, 1986.

After 1971, most tobacco advertising was done in magazines, newspapers and on billboards. Since the introduction of the Federal Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act all packaging and advertisements must display a health warning from the Surgeon General. In November 2003, tobacco companies and magazine publishers agreed to cease the placement of advertisements in school library editions of four magazines with a large group of young readers (Time, People, Sports Illustrated and Newsweek).

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Everyone:

Just would like to put in my two cents worth here.  I have been a heavy smoker since I was the age of 10 and I am still at it 40 years later.  I think that one of the best laws ever passed was to make all public places smoke-free.  If second handed smoke can cause someone to possibly develop smokers problems then why should they have t breathe in my smoke.  I am a bonafide idiot for smoking but I enjoy it.  If I want to poison my lungs with it that is my choice.  But I also feel it is very inconsiderate to have to make someone breathe my smoke.  Where I am going to start work, (my retirement job) at a local high school, teaching computers and I have to go for 10 hours a day without a cigarette and believe me that will be torture when you are a 3 packer.  But I am for it.

Thank you and sorry for bothering everyone.

Moron4392

xraffle

I have been a heavy smoker since I was the age of 10 and I am still at it 40 years later. 

Whoa!! 10 years old! That's pretty young. I honestly never knew that people start smoking that young. Usually the youngest people start is at age 13.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
This is a simple case of too much government.

The government should NOT be making laws restricting the advertisement of tobacco, nor should it be making laws telling businesses they cannot allow people to smoke in their establishment. That should be up to the business owners to decide whether they want their patrons to be able to smoke, and if a non-smoker doesn't like it they can go somewhere else. Before you know it there will be a law restricting people smoking in their cars. Oh wait...
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I seem to recall that cigar and pipe tobacco companies were allowed to continue to advertise on TV after Jan. 1971 as long as the ads showed them only holding the product in their hands ... NOT actually drawing a puff from them.

This is a dim, but distinct memory. [don't ask me how it can be dim AND distinct at the same time]
Anybody else remember this?

Offline metaldams

Smoking is illegal in public in the state of Delaware, and yeah, that includes bars.  You're not even allowed to smoke OUTSIDE of one of the bars in my area. 

I've never touched a cigarette in my life.  My grandfather smoked two packs a day and was dead at 55 of lung cancer, 2.5 years before I was born.  With those genetics, I won't risk it.  That said, I believe smokers have rights and I'm all for smoking sections in public places.

As for young smokers, my friend has been smoking since he was 12 and my Dad also started at 12, though he quit about 10 or 15 years ago.
- Doug Sarnecky