Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Your ten favorite movies.

Offline metaldams

Alright you quinceheads, this is a very simple question I'm about to ask.  What are your ten favorite movies?  It can be anything from a D.W. Griffith cheap exploitation flick to the latest high budgeted artistic endeavor from Jenna Jameson Productions. :P  All I ask is that you name ten movies that you love more than any other movies in the world and that you please limit yourself to feature films.   
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
This sounds like an easy thing to do, but it's rather difficult when you think about. It'll probably change the next time someone asks.

In no particular order (except #1 is my favorite):

1. A Clockwork Orange
2. Citizen Kane
3. Easy Rider
4. Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb
5. Edward Scissorhands
6. 2001: A Space Oddysey
7. Still We Believe: The Boston Red Sox Movie
8. South Park: Bigger Longer And Uncut
9. Team America: World Police
10. Plan 9 From Outer Space
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I'll start:

OK, well, I'm a sucker for silent film, and I love good three and four hour silent epics that bores the common plebian to tears.  D.W. Griffith's INOLERANCE (1916) and Erich Von Stroheim's GREED (1924) are two masterpieces that absolutely blew me away upon first viewing.  My only regret is that I don't usually have a spare three or four hours to watch these films more often.  I also love silent comedy, so we'll add Charlie Chaplin's THE KID (1921) and Buster Keaton's THE GENERAL (1927) to my list.  THE KID has a beautiful mix of comedy and drama, the best child performance I've ever seen from anyone by Jackie Coogan, and a scene with Chaplin reuniting with Coogan after a rooftop chase that makes me cry like a little girl everytime I see it.  :'(  THE GENERAL is one of those films that gets more amazing and even funnier the more I see it.  There is so much detail that if you literally blink your eye, you can miss something.

I also love Universal Horror movies and am a big Bela Lugosi fan.  I guess for the purpose of this list, I'll include THE RAVEN (1935).  Bela's acting is more over the top in this film than anything else he's ever done, playing a sexually deprived retired doctor who like to torture his victims with devices inspired by Edgar Allan Poe.  Karloff is pretty good here as well, but THE RAVEN is Lugosi's show.  Artistically not the best Universal Horror (that distinction would belong to either BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN or THE BLACK CAT), THE RAVEN I still find loads of fun.

TWENTIETH CENTURY is a classic screwball comedy from 1934 with John Barrymore and Carole Lombard giving classic performances with an equally effective supporting cast.  John Barrymore is espcially wonderful in this one, sending up his ham actor image perfectly, God bless him.  I CLOSE THE IRON DOOR ON YOU!

THIS IS SPINAL TAP (1984) is a perfect parody of a topic that is near and dear to my heart - heavy metal music.  Every scene is a classic and 99% f the time, I can think of bands who have been in similar situations.  DUCK SOUP (1933) is the greatest Marx Brothers comedy that I want to include on my list and like THIS IS SPINAL TAP, every scene is a classic skit unto itself.

CITIZEN KANE (1941) also has to be included in my list.  I know, I know, this is a safe movie to include because it's so universally praised, yet the hype is well deserved.  A movie you can see 150 times and still find something new in.  Every frame, literally, is a work of art into itself.  As a film minor in college, I've written a few papers on this film and have gotten A's everytime.  I think Orson Welles gave me an easy topic to write on, as you don't have to look hard to find something interesting to write about.

Finally, I'll include THE LADY EVE (1941).  My favorite Preston Sturges comedy with a very sexy Barbara Stanwyck leading the way.  She's a beautiful woman physically, but I feel Barabara Stanwyck had a certain attitude about her that made her sex appeal go beyond what her looks alone would convey.  A very funny movie that is mandatory viewing for all fans of classic comedy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline stooge_o_phile

Alright you quinceheads, this is a very simple question I'm about to ask.  What are your ten favorite movies? 

Hey Metaldams.....Great to see you back!

Well here are mine:

1. City Lights
  2. Ben-Hur, A Tale of the Christ (w/Ramon Novarro)
  3. Citizen Kane
  4. The Third Man
  5. The Magnificent Ambersons
  6. The Searchers
  7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre
  8. Yankee Doodle Dandy
  9. Requiem For a Heavyweight (1962 Version w/Anthony Quinn and Jackie Gleason)
10. Sahara

Moe Hailstone

It took me a while but, I finally have mine.

1. Duel
2. Modern Times
3. The General
4. The Green Mile
5. The Flying Tigers
6. The Unknown
7. Smokey and the Bandit
8. Duck Soup
9. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
10.The Longest Day
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 05:50:03 PM by Moe Hailstone »

Offline Waldo Twitchell

I have to agree with shemps#1 that this is a bit more difficult than expected. A top 20 list would
have been easier for me.

In no particular order:

The Shining
The King of Comedy
Prisoner of Second Avenue
Bullitt
Badlands
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies
The Bank Dick
Office Space
Duck Soup

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Here are mine, listed in no particular order.  It's hard to pick out only ten, but these are the ones that I have probably watched the most.

You Can't Take It With You (1937), starring Jimmy Stewart, Jean Arthur, and Lionel Barrymore

Horsefeathers (1932), starring the Marx Brothers

The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951), starring Michael Rennie and Patricia O'Neal

Hold That Ghost (1941), starring Bud Abbot and Lou Costello

The Haunting (1963), starring Julie Harris, Claire Bloom and Richard johnson

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944), starring Cary Grant and Priscilla Lane

The Thin Man (1934), starring William Powell and Myrna Loy (actually, all of the "Thin Man" movies)

Bringing Up Baby (1938), starring Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn

The Thing From Another World (1951), starring Kenneth Tobey and Margret Sheridan

A Day at the Races (1937), starring the Marx Brothers

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 11:44:44 PM by Dunrobin »

Offline metaldams

Bump.

Just thought this thread needs to be brought back.  Anyone else wanna share or change opinions?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Actually, I just looked over my list, but I can't think of any changes.  There are plenty more that I could add, though.   ;)

Offline Hammond Eggar

OK, here I go.

1. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)
2. A Hard Day's Night (1964)
3. Chicago (2002)
4. The Wizard of Oz (1939)
5. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
6. Rear Window (1954)
7. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
8. Philadelphia (1993)
9. Lost in Translation (2003)
10. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

AmalgamatedMoron

In no particular order:

1. The 300 Spartans (original-1962) (though I really liked the remake based on Frank Miller's graphic novel)
2. Shane (1953)
3. The Matrix (1999)
4. Jason and the Argonauts (1963) (or just about anything where Ray Harryhausen has worked his magic)
5. Dune (1984)
6. Forbidden Planet (1956)
7. Flash Gordon (1980)
8. Return of the Jedi (1983)
9. Blade Runner (1982)
10. Planet of the Apes (original-1968)

As you may be able to tell, I have an affinity for sci-fi.  My favorite genre of movie.  So many more come to mind, especially in other genres.  It's so hard to nail it down to just 10.  Perhaps we should list our top 10 favorites per genre? (sci-fi, comedy, drama, historical, epic, war, classic/B&W, action, martial arts, animated--so many to choose from)  What do you think of that metaldams?