Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Banned but not forgotten [WAS Re: The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 4: 1943 - 1945 Press Release]

· 80 · 12187

Tardo317

Hey I got an idea! Why don't they put Curly on the cover of every single volume, so the "casual fan" (who is apparently gullible and mildly retarded, according to some of you) will buy them?

Geez, I don't remember anyone remotely eluding to casual fans as gullible or mildly retarded..........

NOTE:  I've split this off from BeAStooge's thread because from this point on we kind of hijacked his thread and went completely off topic.  This way we can continue the discussion and the original thread can get back to discussing the DVD release.  -Dunrobin
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 08:42:55 AM by Dunrobin »

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Geez, I don't remember anyone remotely eluding to casual fans as gullible or mildly retarded..........

"Geez", you guys pretty much did in not so many words.....
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Tardo317

"Geez", you guys pretty much did in not so many words.....

Amazing how a "moderator" can turn a simple discussion into a sarcastic rant on fellow members.  Is that what a "moderator" is expected to do?  Who appointed you, Mayor Menino?

xraffle

Amazing how a "moderator" can turn a simple discussion into a sarcastic rant on fellow members.  Is that what a "moderator" is expected to do?  Who appointed you, Mayor Menino?

Not a smart move. :police:

Seriously, why oh why do you people do it? This happens all the time where we have members come over and then talk back to the moderators. You're not accomplishing anything by doing so.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

No, I did, as the owner of this site.  Got a problem with that?   >:(

(If you don't know the difference between mild sarcasm and a "rant", you really need to start reading a dictionary.)

Tardo317

Seriously, why oh why do you people do it? This happens all the time where we have members come over and then talk back to the moderators. You're not accomplishing anything by doing so.

Look, I really like the site and the forum is a great place to interact with other fans.  I probably don't frequent the site as much as others so I wouldn't know that this happens all the time.  But if it does, why is that?  Are members expected to be accept a moderator's arrogance and unprovoked sarcasm?  If so, then I apologize to shemps#1.  But I really didn't appreciate his condescending contribution to what was a simple discussion about the use of a picture in reference to the marketing of Volume 4.  It came across as more than mild sarcasm.

Again, my apologies..........
 For being an ultra-sensitive jizz swallower...oh yeah he pratically asked for it. S#1

xraffle

I probably don't frequent the site as much as others so I wouldn't know that this happens all the time.  But if it does, why is that?  

Because there's a lot of trolls out there. Believe me, I know. I post at other message boards and it's extremely easy to get into arguments with people. It's just the way the world is today. That's what I like about this site. This is one of the very few sites out there where you can post and not have your blood pressure get raised up.

Offline Stooges#1

Maybe for a volume 5 cover Sony can have Moe, Larry and Curly on the front cover and then on the back cover, next to the list of shorts have Moe, Larry and Shemp? The front being the main three as Curly is just finishing up and the back being Shemp as he is beginning and list somewhere on the main cover about the transition.

Well whatever Sony does im sure it will look nice. I still need to pinch myself just thinking that these are anticipated releases, Stooges in chronological order, restored and remastered. Thankyou Sony!

Tardo317

Because there's a lot of trolls out there. Believe me, I know. I post at other message boards and it's extremely easy to get into arguments with people. It's just the way the world is today. That's what I like about this site. This is one of the very few sites out there where you can post and not have your blood pressure get raised up.

Well, I'm not a troll and I'm not looking for an argument.  I just think that people who are in charge should offer the same respect to those who are expected to show them respect due to their position.  I don't feel that shemps#1 did that here.  The tone of this thread shifted with his opinion of "casual fans" which was initiated in my take on Sony's marketing options.

Hopefully we can get back to the subject at hand.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
What Shemps#1 was not a rant in the least, nor was it disrespectful.  It was however, a fair assessment of your own comments.  If you don't like people pointing out the error in your thinking, you are definitely on the wrong forum - especially if you're going to be touchy about sarcasm.   ::)

stoogeophile

But Tardo is right. No one has ever said that casual fans are gullible or retarded, or have insinuated this, to provoke shemps#1's sarcasm. Curly in that "Hold that Lion" picture will be pretty much unrecognizable for the casual buyer of this DVD, and that's true. If Sony policies would be to satisfy the needs of only Stooge die-hard fans, then that wouldn't be a smart move. They would not consider thousands of potential buyers, and as you know, it's a great business to them to aim at as much people as they can.

Tardo317

What Shemps#1 was not a rant in the least, nor was it disrespectful.  It was however, a fair assessment of your own comments.  If you don't like people pointing out the error in your thinking, you are definitely on the wrong forum - especially if you're going to be touchy about sarcasm.   ::)

OK, so it wasn't a rant.  You're the boss.  I guess we'll agree to disagree.   Others who were involved in this thread, and chose to discuss instead of belittle, may feel differently......thanks.

Tardo317

But Tardo is right. No one has ever said that casual fans are gullible or retarded, or have insinuated this, to provoke shemps#1's sarcasm. Curly in that "Hold that Lion" picture will be pretty much unrecognizable for the casual buyer of this DVD, and that's true. If Sony policies would be to satisfy the needs of only Stooge die-hard fans, then that wouldn't be a smart move. They would not consider thousands of potential buyers, and as you know, it's a great business to them to aim at as much people as they can.

Thank you........

AmalgamatedMoron

...Are members expected to be accept a moderator's arrogance and unprovoked sarcasm?  If so, then I apologize to shemps#1.  But I really didn't appreciate his condescending contribution to what was a simple discussion about the use of a picture in reference to the marketing of Volume 4.  It came across as more than mild sarcasm.

Actually, I laughed really hard when I first read shemps comment about the "Hold That Lion" cover art, and his comment was in part directed at me!  Ha!  "gullible and mildly retarded"  :laugh:, good one shemps.  Calm down guys, calm down.  It's just a little humor.  And BTW, he does have a good point.

xraffle

Well, I'm not a troll and I'm not looking for an argument.

I never said you were a troll. I was telling you the main reason why this has happened before. If you weren't looking for an argument, you wouldn't have talked back to shemps#1 in the first place.

Shemps#1's comment was directed towards the "Hold That Lion" issue. I mean, how could people not know that the train passenger is Curly? When he snores, you hear the high-pitched voice, the "woo-woo-woo" and his barking. I watched the stooges since I was 5 years old and the minute I first saw that part of the episode, I thought to myself "Is that Curly?"

Tardo317

I never said you were a troll. I was telling you why this has happened before. If you weren't looking for an argument, you wouldn't have talked back to shemps#1 in the first place.

I know , I know.  "Talked back" is an interesting choice of words though........

Tardo317

I mean, how could people not know that the train passenger is Curly? When he snores, you hear the high-pitched voice, the "woo-woo-woo" and his barking. I watched the stooges since I was 5 years old and the minute I first saw that part of the episode, I thought to myself "Is that Curly?"

Now you're just being silly......

I've had enough.  I'll settle on simply reading the forums from now on.  No more posting for me....

xraffle

I know , I know.  "Talked back" is an interesting choice of words though........

Is it?

Accusing shemps#1 for ranting on members when he didn't. Then you question why he is the moderator and how he even got appointed? That's a direct insult, if you ask me. Shemps#1 never even insulted you.

xraffle

Now you're just being silly......

I've had enough.  I'll settle on simply reading the forums from now on.  No more posting for me....

Now, I'm just an innocent little bystander here that's just giving an opinion on the subject matter. I was just simply explaining to you why shemps#1 said what he said. Seriously, you just misread his post. There's no need to flip out and leave.

stoogeophile

It's interesting how meanings are interpreted to each's own convenience. In my humble opinion, I see in certain members some immunity and condescendence on what the moderators say, be it good or bad, as some kind of carte blanche.
I am not a puritan, but a global moderator can say: "So does that mean I can't add the picture of Derita fisting a female fan from an appearance back in '62?" and is something funny. If the same thing would have been said by a common member, certainly he/she would have been moderated or just banned. The rules must be the same for all members.
 For having the nerve to try to tell me how to moderate this board. S#1

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I am in no way a puritan, but a global moderator can say: "So does that mean I can't add the picture of Derita fisting a female fan from an appearance back in '62?" and is something funny. If the same thing would have been said by a common member, certainly he/she would have been moderated or just banned. The rules must be the same for all members.

Nonsense - no member has ever been banned for just making a joke - not even for a sick one like the one you quote.  Nor, as far as I can recall, has any member been banned for swearing.  Usually people get banned for repeatedly making personal attacks at the admins, or else because they simply would not (or could not) post comments that were understandable (poor or no capitalization, punctuation, etc.)

Most of the people whom I have banned over the years got kicked off for having the effrontery to tell me how to run my own web site, and persisting in it after being warned, or for just being genuinely obnoxious and arrogant.  I generally don't take too kindly towards people trying to dictate how to manage my own property.

The rules must be the same for all members.
Says who?  This isn't a "democracy", nor is this site "public property", and as a matter of fact the "rules" have never been the same for everyone across the board.  There have always been groups who have extra abilities and privileges because I've chosen to grant them.  ("It's good to be the king!")

Offline JazzBill

It's interesting how meanings are interpreted to each's own convenience. In my humble opinion, I see in certain members some immunity and condescendence on what the moderators say, be it good or bad, as some kind of carte blanche.
I am not a puritan, but a global moderator can say: "So does that mean I can't add the picture of Derita fisting a female fan from an appearance back in '62?" and is something funny. If the same thing would have been said by a common member, certainly he/she would have been moderated or just banned. The rules must be the same for all members.
What ? You mean there is no picture of Derita fisting a fan. I was looking forward to seeing it.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Quote from: tardo
Amazing how a "moderator" can turn a simple discussion into a sarcastic rant on fellow members.  Is that what a "moderator" is expected to do?  Who appointed you, Mayor Menino?

For fucks sake get the stick surgically removed from your ass, Masshole. As he himself has pointed out for you, the owner/webmaster appointed me as a moderator quite some time ago. Seeing as though I'm still here I must be doing something right.

Look, I really like the site and the forum is a great place to interact with other fans.  I probably don't frequent the site as much as others so I wouldn't know that this happens all the time.  But if it does, why is that?  Are members expected to be accept a moderator's arrogance and unprovoked sarcasm?  If so, then I apologize to shemps#1.  But I really didn't appreciate his condescending contribution to what was a simple discussion about the use of a picture in reference to the marketing of Volume 4.  It came across as more than mild sarcasm.

Again, my apologies..........

Nothing warms my heart like a condescending, backhanded "apology". I can really give two shits less what you do or do not "appreciate", and it's not my job to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Perhaps you need to take some basic writing courses to help you get your point across better, because the mere allusion that casual fan will automatically snap up anything with Curly's picture on it is what I find to be insulting. As I've said, it's not the casual fan that's buying these sets, it's the hardcore fan. Why did those earlier DVDs bomb? Because those were geared towards the casual fan, and they didn't buy them.

Let's put it this way: if you're only a "casual fan" of the show South Park are you going to buy the season sets? No you aren't, because at an average of $30 a pop for 12+ seasons is too much money for something you're not a huge fan of (especially when you can watch every episode for free legally at southparkstudios.com). On average the Three Stooges volumes are $25 a piece. The way it's looking there will be something like 8-9 volumes to this set (not including the Derita features) so that will come to around $225 to get the complete set of shorts. Someone who is not a diehard fan of the Three Stooges is not going to spend all of that money on them, nor would they spend the $150 to get all of the Curly shorts. That's a lot of scratch to spend on something you only have a mild interest in, especially with the economy in its current state.

These sets are made not with the casual fan in mind. Going back to my South Park model for a moment, in addition to the full season sets they have smaller, cheaper single DVDs that are for the fans who do not put down the money for the sets featuring the more popular episodes in the series. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the season sets drastically outsell the minor collections because the diehard or hardcore fan is more willing to spend the money.

Well, I'm not a troll and I'm not looking for an argument.  I just think that people who are in charge should offer the same respect to those who are expected to show them respect due to their position.  I don't feel that shemps#1 did that here.  The tone of this thread shifted with his opinion of "casual fans" which was initiated in my take on Sony's marketing options.

I'll show respect when it's earned, and when you earn a snarky response I'll give you one. That was not my opinion of the "casual fan", but yours based on your audacity to believe that someone who might not be a Shemp fan or may not be a diehard fan of the Stooges will purchase a $25 volume simply because Curly is on the cover in Shemp's stead, or that the mere sight of Shemp on the cover will frighten people off. If I were a casual fan of the Stooges I would damn well peruse the back of the box before I bought it to find out what's on this volume before I spent my hard-earned money on it, and if I hated Shemp I would find the volume not worth my money for the scant collection of Curly shorts. I would buy one of the earlier sets instead. Remember, the casual fan is not going to buy every volume, not even all of the ones that have Curly shorts on them.

That very line of thinking is why I suggested putting Curly on every cover of the collection, because according to you the  casual fan will gobble them up without thinking. You were the one who painted the casual fans to be "gullible and mildly retarded", I just pointed it out in my own special way.

OK, so it wasn't a rant.  You're the boss.  I guess we'll agree to disagree.   Others who were involved in this thread, and chose to discuss instead of belittle, may feel differently......thanks.

Awww, did the big bad mod huwt your itty bitty feewings? Grow a pair and shut the fuck up.

I've had enough.  I'll settle on simply reading the forums from now on.  No more posting for me....

I've had enough too. I'll settle on simply banning your ass (because you left me no choice). No more posting or reading for you.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown