The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Yikes! "Stooges in Orbit" review

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Obviously the author of that hit piece was a condescending, elitist know-it-all who never understood slapstick in the first place.   Frankly, I rarely pay any attention to "movie critics", since 99.9% of them are just as full of themselves as this guy was.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That might have been a harsh, elitist slant on the Stooges and their canon as a whole, but he was correct when basically stating that the movie sucks.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Interesting article, thanks Single-O!

As for elitist Stooge haters, I had a film professor once describe The Three Stoges as "universally hated."  I know they're not academic darlings like Chaplin and Groucho, but sheesh!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Best review of a film I ever read!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline curlysdame

he was correct when basically stating that the movie sucks.

I agree.  Although, I think the only thing worse than 'Orbit' was 'Snow White and The Three Stooges.'  A two hour ice skating musical...  [cry]
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline locoboymakesgood

I bought Snow White and the Three Stooges on DVD the first day it came out (I had it on Beta too), and got through half of it once.

zZzZzZzZz.....
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

I bought Snow White and the Three Stooges on DVD the first day it came out (I had it on Beta too), and got through half of it once.

zZzZzZzZz.....

I only saw the movie once and it was a very long time ago. Even though I barely remember the movie, I do remember that it was really awful and I would never watch it again. There's barely any slapstick in the movie.

Offline FineBari3

I always felt that the Curly Joe features pretty much sucked. I can watch about half of one before I have to turn it off. My favorite is probably Outlaws, and I had to turn that off too.

I just do not think that the Stooges could sustain their comedy in features.  I feel the same way about Laurel & Hardy, but their features are much better.

I do enjoy the features the Stooges made when Curly was there, but they are stinkeroos in the plot department. I have never got to see the 2nd half of 'Swing Parade' because my DVD stops working at that point.  [angry5]
Mar-Jean Zamperini

xraffle

The problem with Curly-Joe is that he just didn't do anything funny. He was completely dead. He would just spit out his lines. He has no style of comedy whatsoever.

AmalgamatedMoron

It's rather obvious that the boys full length movies were never as good as their shorts, and they never could be anyway.  The old "15 minute short" just didn't translate well to a full length movie.  Though I don't think they deserve the level of criticism they received for their movies.  Some were better than others, but they were all still fun to watch in my opinion (at least the ones where they were in the lead roles).  Give the boys a break.  If I could meet that smug, smartass reviewer, I'd give em' a good eye poke for Moe's sake!

Offline DocWatson

I never cared much for the full length stuff. I liked some of it with Curly and Shemp's one full feature was pretty good... I didn't care for the Curly Joe stuff apart from Outlaws and Around the World in a Daze... Hercules would've been funnier if they didn't muck it up so much.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I always felt that the Curly Joe features pretty much sucked. I can watch about half of one before I have to turn it off. My favorite is probably Outlaws, and I had to turn that off too.

I just do not think that the Stooges could sustain their comedy in features.  I feel the same way about Laurel & Hardy, but their features are much better.

I do enjoy the features the Stooges made when Curly was there, but they are stinkeroos in the plot department. I have never got to see the 2nd half of 'Swing Parade' because my DVD stops working at that point.  [angry5]

It's obvious that Curly-Joe was MUCH better suited with Moe and Larry when teamed with TV appearances, and I think maybe the Steve Allen Show 1959 appearances prove my argument. (The "Doctor" and the "Stand -In" sketches being prime examples)

As far as his movie persona .... Curly-Joe was (perhaps) made to resemble our own beloved Curly too much, and in that respect, (and in deference to FineBari3's above remarks) failed miserably. BUT, as far as Curly-Joe and our boys as a team is concerned, he did a sorta-kinda-fair job.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline FineBari3

As far as his movie persona .... Curly-Joe was (perhaps) made to resemble our own beloved Curly too much, and in that respect, (and in deference to FineBari3's above remarks) failed miserably. BUT, as far as Curly-Joe and our boys as a team is concerned, he did a sorta-kinda-fair job.

I actually like Curly-Joe's stuff in the wrap arounds for the cartoons and the same goes for the short skits on the TV shows at the time.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline porcupinefan87

As for elitist Stooge haters, I had a film professor once describe The Three Stoges as "universally hated."  I know they're not academic darlings like Chaplin and Groucho, but sheesh!

That’s one thing I have always HATED too! And I’ve never understood it, to be honest. I even wrote an article in our college paper about it last fall. Something like “Stooges: The Dumb Version Of The Marx Brothers? I think Not!”

Even Marty Feldman – who is about my biggest idol – I read a quote he had one time, about how the Stooges were “two dimensional”, and that was the difference between him and Mel Brooks: that Brooks admired the Stooges whereas Feldman was more into the “multi-dimensional” Keaton and Laurel & Hardy.

Granted, I LOVE Feldman. But I respectfully disagree!  [pie]

At least with Laurel & Hardy, I never understood why they are considered more “high art” than the Stooges. To me, there’s not that much of a huge difference between them. I can see people making a HUGE distinction between people like Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin and The Three Stooges, that makes some sense because those two were regarded more as “arty” and as real “auteurs” and all this, but with Stan and Ollie, I never really saw the great difference. Sure, there’s a difference because THEY are different groups, but I don’t see why Laurel and Hardy are “smarter” in some way than the boys are.

In the end, my theory is that it all boils down to the “aura” of the comics. Keaton, Chaplin, and so forth…they all have this aura because they wrote, they directed, their stuff was considered to have more obvious depth in terms of comedy, etc. Perhaps Laurel & Hardy had more of this going for them as well, and the Marx Brothers too.

With the Stooges though, when you think of how they entered into films and such, I guess it was always like they were these ruffians who someone found off the street, and they were thrown into a classy dinner party, and they wrecked the place. They evoked the really olden days of the feast of fools and such…when these untamed clowns just made a mess of everything, and that was the end of it. I think they just always maintained that kind of thought process with people. No one ever wants to consider them “art", in the ways they would consider the above stated comics “art”, you know?

It has a lot to do with the pretentiousness that surrounds the others too. I’m not saying the comics themselves were pretentious…because I do not think they were – Keaton in particular seemed a down to earth genius – but the outside pretension surrounding their work…that’s what makes the sort of stereotype that one is high brow and one is low brow proliferate. The mentality just transcends into the generations…so people come to think that the Stooges can only be appreciated by red neck guys with beer bellies, and not by intelligent, perceptive people as well. Oh and by women? Forget it! 

Though there may be people I admire more than the Stooges (though they are certainly up there) I must admit, honestly, if I had to just go by comics who have made me physically LAUGH more than anything else…the Stooges would win every time! Though I’ve never been one to say that laughing in hysterics is necessarily the true mark of good comedy – I personally feel some humor is meant to tickle your funny bone and others are meant to penetrate the humorous part of your brain – the Stooges, are the ones I’d turn on if I really just wanted an honest, pure laugh.

But the difference in “high culture” and “low culture”, in terms of the Stooges and others, I liken it to the difference between Mel Brooks and Woody Allen. Mel Brooks is my choice. I always love to say that Brooks is “the unpretentious person’s answer to Allen.” I think it’s true. Brooks, like the Stooges, proves by the work…not by all the crap surrounding it. He doesn’t try to say to people “Oh look! This has meaning! Look how deep I am. Look look!” If anything, I feel he doesn’t give himself enough deep credit…just sort of says, “Yeah…well that’s funny”, and hence why an astute viewer can see the intelligence and the depth in it, if that makes sense. Brooks’ work can speak for itself. And Brooks himself is certainly an extremely bright man.

So really, it isn’t that one comic’s work is more intelligent than the other’s…generally it’s just the whole mystique that surrounds them. To quote Marty Feldman again (because he’d win a quote contest against anyone) – and I’m paraphrasing here – most people who do any sort of job, are simply competent…they’re not geniuses. I think he said it about directors…really there’s not that many GREAT ones…just some have more of a mystique than others do, but really they’re just competent at it. Then there are a few geniuses too. It just seems that some comedians of the Stooges era got to have the “intelligent” mystique while they were branded with a more “there’s nothing more to it than meets the eye” type of tag.

I admit, that I’ve even bought into the stereotype at times, of not seeing them as intelligent in real life as some other comics were, but really this is a failing of mine that I’ve realized. Larry, as everyone knows, is my favorite, and the more I read about him the more I see he was certainly a smart, perceptive guy. But again, much like with his acting – and whether people want to say he was lazy or just easy going – it seemed that when being funny was just about as natural to him as breathing, he really saw no need to talk, or theorize much about it. To me that’s not being lazy, that’s being modest. He seemed to have this sort of “it’s no talent…because I just do it naturally” approach. But I’d still say…smart.

Moe, obviously, seemed the more intellectual of the group, from any interviews I’ve seen. He seemed more consciously aware of the craft, of the work put in, etc…and more willing to talk about that. And that’s fine too. You need someone like that as well. Moe always seemed a very bright man to me.

And even though Curly isn’t my favorite Stooge, I remember reading something once that just made me want to defend him to the end. I think it was some passage in a biography regarding his ex-wives and such. One of them – or perhaps most of them – said something to the effect of how he was a let down in real life because when he was off the screen there was NOTHING to him…he was boring, and dull and such. I just thought this was terribly cruel.  Then someone, it may have been his daughter, defended that when someone is called dull, that implies a lack of intelligence, and that Curly certainly did not have that. And I was like “thank you!”. I’m not praising Curly because I have to (we all know I love Larry best haha) I’m praising him from an objective, experienced Stooge viewer position. The more I watch him specifically, the more I see the man’s genius. I feel for people like him – and sometimes at times, feel LIKE people like him – because some of us really are very shy in life, and yet when there’s the few things we really do well with…we shine, we feel comfortable. And clearly it seems he had that. He was so highly inventive as a comic and was a natural. Regarding him and the rest of the lot, it has always been my view that anyone who is TRULY funny (not just some goofy idiot) must be very smart. That’s just the way it is. True humor comes from true intelligence, though often people forget this.

Long and short of it, I’ve always hated when the Stooges and comedy in general really, are not given the respect deserved.  It’s always made me mad that it’s just some given that a comedy would never be on top of the “AFI’s greatest film list” or some such thing. When done correctly, comedy is more powerful, more intelligent than a lot of over the top clichéd sap crap drama…and that’s all there is to it.

Manifesto over. ;)

~Angela
"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
"Ehhh....money shrinks!!!" - Shemp, 'Don't Throw That Knife'
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Interesting, but I'll have respectfully agree/disagree (if that makes any sense).

The difference between the Stooges and say the Marx Brothers is that the Stooges were much more visual while the Marx Brothers were cerebral as well as visual. This is the main reason why Stooges were never involved in radio, whereas Groucho was the perfect fit for You Bet Your Life. With a Stooges short the plot was always simple, more of a framework for their slapstick than to tell a story, while with a Marx Brothers film the plots were more intricate and a more complex story played out before your eyes. The simple test to this is whether or not you can look away from the screen and just listen to a Stooges short or a Marx Brothers movie, and still have a good idea of what's happening onscreen. This is much easier to do with a Marx Brother's movie than a Stooges short because no matter what sound effect you use it's not the same "hearing" an eyepoke as it is watching it directly. It's the opposite for a Marx Brothers dialogue. I'm not saying that the Stooges didn't come with witty dialogue from time to time or that the Marx Brothers were never visual, but they had different strengths.

The Three Stooges' style of comedy is simple, and gloriously so. This is why they were able to appeal to children on a much broader scale than say the Marx Brother's or Buster Keaton or Charlie Chaplin. At their peak they reveled in the mindless mayhem of their comedic style, and that's what made them so great. For a child it's easy; Curly is acting goofy, Moe gets mad, Moe slaps Curly, Larry interjects, Moe pounds Larry on the head. Do you and I as adults know that there was more to the Stooges than that? Of course, our ears and eyes are "trained" to catch more of the subtle nuances that the Stooges occasionally threw in their work. With an average run time of 15 minutes or so there wasn't much time to get more than the occasional subtle nuance in their films, while a 75 minute Chaplin film that had a much higher budget you could get more of those nuances in there for the "intellectuals".

Backtracking a bit, I believe that the Stooges' mass appeal to children (even in their prime) is what causes the condescending snobs to snub their noses at them. If something is deemed as "for children" then it cannot be possibly be "for adults" some believe, and if an adult shows an affinity for the tv show/movie/video game etc it is deemed "childish". Here's where I agree with you: I find it odious when someone automatically dismisses the Stooges as beneath them before even viewing film one. There are tons of films out there that caught on immediately with children (Looney Tunes) and that from watching you can see what would appeal to them, but there are also aspects of those films that when you watch as an adult you cannot fathom that a child could understand why said aspect was funny. That is the Three Stooges in a nutshell.

The term "genius" is used so much nowadays that it's really starting to lose its meaning. I wouldn't call any of the Three Stooges "comedic geniuses" whereas I would definitely say that term applies to Charlie Chaplin and Groucho Marx (not Laurel and Hardy or Buster Keaton however). The Stooges were very formulaic, I'm not saying that's good or bad, but they never strayed from their successful formula. While parts of Chaplin and the Marx Brothers were formulaic they were also able to expand outside of the formula in their best films and show us something new. With such an enourmous canon of short subjects the Stooges repeated jokes from one film to another verbatim, and even repeated sight gags (oyster soup, turkey stuffing). There's only so many times you can watch a Stooge shove canned items in a turkey before it ceases to elicit laughter. Not only did the Stooges not move in different directions (other than replacement Stooges due to health issues and changing the subjects to reflect the times, with the same formula still intact) they didn't want to. They knew what put asses in seats, what they excelled at; and they also knew what they were not capable of...their limitations. Genius does not know limitations until it tries and fails.

As an aside, I could most definitely not see Curly penning an entire script of a short, much less a feature. I know Curly is beloved, but he was most certainly not a comedic genius. Were he and the others intelligent and did they excel at their stock and trade? Yes. Geniuses? Nuh-uh. I believe the term "savant" describes Curly better than "genius".

The reason I cannot stand the likes of Woody Allen or Jerry Seinfeld is because they are pretentious, pseudo-intellectual, elitist bores. Forget not being down to earth, those doofuses (doofi?) aren't down-to-Milky-Way. I love the Marx Brothers, and agree with you that unlike Allen and Seinfeld the pretentiousness isn't in their work but in their fans, e.g. the "aura" surrounding their work. It also comes back to the mass/child/idiot appeal. Pretentious assholes love "getting" something that children and "beer-bellied rednecks" will not. It makes them feel all fuzzy inside and like they part of one of those exclusive clubs they were never able to get in during high school. The pretentious population loves to look down on people and will take any chance they get.

I'll end this missive with this: It's always irked when the Stooges are thrown in with the Marx Brothers, Chaplin etc: even when it's done in defense of the Stooges. The comparison is not apt. Sure they are "classic" comedy acts from a time long passed, but that's where the similarities end. It's like comparing baseball to football; they'll appeal to different people across the spectrum, but as this site clearly shows there are some that like both and most likely for different reasons.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

AmalgamatedMoron

Backtracking a bit, I believe that the Stooges' mass appeal to children (even in their prime) is what causes the condescending snobs to snub their noses at them. If something is deemed as "for children" then it cannot be possibly be "for adults" some believe, and if an adult shows an affinity for the tv show/movie/video game etc it is deemed "childish". Here's where I agree with you: I find it odious when someone automatically dismisses the Stooges as beneath them before even viewing film one. There are tons of films out there that caught on immediately with children (Looney Tunes) and that from watching you can see what would appeal to them, but there are also aspects of those films that when you watch as an adult you cannot fathom that a child could understand why said aspect was funny. That is the Three Stooges in a nutshell.

Excellent assessment S#1.  We know that deep down inside, the Stooges appeal to the child in us all.  At least those of us candid enough to admit it, and not stick our noses in the air like a bunch of snobbish jackasses.  These same snobbish jackasses probably liked the Stooges as children, but then grew up and moved on to "better and more mature things".  Hogwash!  The Stooges are, and always will be, ageless.  The bottom line is that some people just refuse to appreciate them.  Well, piss on them!  I never have, and I never will, explain and defend my love of the boys.  If someone doesn't like it, tough shit!  Some people are almost pathologically driven to despise the Stooges.  I can only muster a strong disdain for such people. 

Wasn't it Jay Leno who once said:  "Half the world loves the Stooges, and the other half wonders why"?  If he did say it, kudos.  He's dead on accurate.  There's no need or purpose in arguing with idiots who do not appreciate the Stooges.  They're missing some essential chemical in the brain, or something.  As for your last point there about children laughing at that which they don't necessarily understand, you are absolutely correct.  My son, in addition to his usual diet of Stooges, also watches a lot of TV Land with me.  We regularly watch Sanford and Son, and he laughs at that more than I ever could have anticipated he would.  He certainly doesn't pick up on all the jokes, but there's just a comical presence on the show that he picks up on, and it tickles him silly.  To those who knock the Stooges we love as "below" them, and often comedy in general:  Piss off!  Go watch your "thespian" BS, and leave us alone.

xraffle

There are tons of films out there that caught on immediately with children (Looney Tunes) and that from watching you can see what would appeal to them, but there are also aspects of those films that when you watch as an adult you cannot fathom that a child could understand why said aspect was funny. That is the Three Stooges in a nutshell.

Well said. As much as I used to love The Three Stooges as a child, there some things that I never understood until now. This is why I get annoyed at some people who claim that the stooges are exclusively targeted for children. That is so not true.

Offline metaldams

These past five or six posts have been excellent.  I don't have too much to add, but I'll say a few things.

About The Three Stooges repeating routines:

EVERYBODY from their era repeated routines and even "borrowed" routines from others, The Three Stooges obviously being no exception.  Chaplin probably did the least borrowing, but then again, it took him five years to make a movie while The Three Stooges and others were at times pumping out multiple reels of film a year.  Even so, the famous Oceana Roll scene from Chaplin in THE GOLD RUSH was originally done by Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle, so like I said, everybody repeated and borrowed.

Whether they are geniuses or not:

I don't know, but I do know they were unique, and most of that uniqueness stems from their characters, timing, and basic team chemistry.  They did not have it in them to make a CITY LIGHTS and they were definitely not "auteurs" like other comedians, but they're arguably the most consistently good comedians for the longest period of time, AND they are known to the public more than anybody else from their era.  Perhaps THAT'S why the intellectuals don't respect The Three Stooges, because after all, the boys aren't their little secret.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline curlysdame

These past five or six posts have been excellent.  I don't have too much to add, but I'll say a few things.

Whether they are geniuses or not:

I don't know, but I do know they were unique, and most of that uniqueness stems from their characters, timing, and basic team chemistry.  They did not have it in them to make a CITY LIGHTS and they were definitely not "auteurs" like other comedians, but they're arguably the most consistently good comedians for the longest period of time, AND they are known to the public more than anybody else from their era.  Perhaps THAT'S why the intellectuals don't respect The Three Stooges, because after all, the boys aren't their little secret.

I don't have much to ad either, because everything's pretty much been said already, but I definitely agree with you, Metaldams.  That's exactly what I was thinking, about how the intellectuals don't respect the Stooges.  I just couldn't figure out how to say it.   :P
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline kinderscenen

Whenever people mention that the Stooges repeated gags, or they were just "journeymen, who were told what to do and did it" (Thanks, Benny Rubin, for that wonderful quote...not that you weren't funny as hell, but geez, dude, you were an ass.) it makes me think about the comedians I see now--well, okay, the movie previews I see now.  How many times can Ashton Kutcher play the same whacked-out newlywed that somehow gets involved with something electrical and gets shocked?  And Seth Rogan...didn't he play the writer in "The 40-Year-Old-Virgin?"  If so, I mean, he's playing the same ol' role...and don't get me started on Will Ferrell.  And critics talk about the Stooges?! At least they had 45 or so years to repeat material.  These guys are repeating it just about every year!
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

stooged and confused

Okay, I want to throw my 2 cents into this topic.

Firstly, I know there are some people out there who do NOT like slapstick, regardless of who is performing it. Based on that, the Stooges would be disliked intensely because they are the epitome of the slapstick genre. My mother hates them with a passion and can't understand why I find anything funny about the whole business. She keeps saying how it's the same thing over and over; the same dumb noises and grunts; the same name calling; the repeated hitting and slapping etc.. I always say the same thing to her when she chooses to open this can of worms...that's why they don't call them the Three Shakespears....it's supposed to be silly. The difference is, the Stooges (and those that worked behind the scenes) never tried to label what they did as high art (like Chaplin has been called) or verbally witty (like the Marx Bros. have been deemed). They were slapstick style comedians and should be judged as such. And based on that, nobody did it better. Their sense of timing and how they were able to perform their craft should be critiqued in the genre they perform in. Comparing all comedians in the same light is like comparing a Lexus to an Edsel.

Secondly, the Stooges, like the Looney Tunes were NOT originally made, nor intended, soley for children. Their initial audiences were the adult filmgoing public. The kiddie fan base grew with their popular airings on TV.

The third point I'd like to make is where women don't like the Stooges. When they began airing daily on TV (as kid's programming), the June Cleaver's of the era were becoming concerned that the Boys were not suitable for young children. That's when many women were brainwashed into disliking the boys as a sex. Before this time, the Stooges were popular with both men and women. The girls should be sugar and spice mentality of the late 50's and early 60's skewed the way women looked at the Stooges. That's when it became more of a guy thing. Each future generation adapted this theory. The fact that the Stooges represent everything women were told is not appealing in men..they are short, fat, wear bad clothing, aren't overly attractive, don't make lots of money, can't keep a job...these are all qualities that women were taught to find distasteful when on the prowl for a man. (And men have their own attributes for women, so I know it goes both ways, girls).

Anyways, the repetition criticism of their work bothers me as well. As was mentioned in a previous post, just about all artists in entertainment are repetitive. The difference is, the Stooges, in my opinion, were one of the few acts who could be repetitive and it still worked. Bob Hope looked pathetic trying to chase after young girls in his 60's and beyond. Clint Eastwood just looked creepy wooing girls almost half his age in some of his later films. And today's crop of stars: Ashton Kutcher, Cameron Diaz, Sandra Bullock, Will Ferrell, Meg Ryan, Ben Stiller, Julia Roberts make the same movies and play the same characters over and over again. The only difference is, they don't keep FRESH! All comedians repeated and borrowed material back then (and now). How many times has the Freaky Friday /Like Father Like Son/Big concept been reworked? And, yes, it's being recycled again with Zac Efron and Matthew Perry--yikes!!!

Okay, so there you go. It's America. You're entitled to like or dislike what you want. For me, it boils down to this. If you've been blindsided by the Stooge prejudice and haven't watched more than an episode or two and don't realize that they do have some clever dialogue sprinkled in with the "violence", then know your subject matter before you criticize. You don't have to like the Stooges, but I don't have to hang out with you, either!  ;D