Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

VOLUME 3 REVIEW

Guest · 27 · 8222

stooged and confused

My advanced review copy for Volume 3 shipped out on Friday, so I should receive it today or by Tuesday at the latest. I will post a full review here once I've viewed the discs in their entirety.

If you have any questions or issues that you'd like addressed, let me know and I will answer them after I've viewed all titles in full.

Some of you have sent me private emails asking about sales figures for the sets. I asked my Sony contact if they have current sales figures for the first two sets. I will let you know if she confirms units sold.

I will be getting Volume 4 artwork soon and I'll post it here as soon as it arrives.

xraffle

Thanks! I'm dying to see the Volume 4 artwork.

A few questions regarding Volume 3:

1) How are the quality of the shorts, especially A Plumbing We Will Go, So Long Mr. Chumps, and Even As I.O.U?
2) Any music clippings?
3) Did Sony add their logo to the end of every short like they did with Volume 2?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Stooges#1

S&C,

Thanks, i hope the set finds you well and im looking forward to reading your review.

stooged and confused

The review copy arrived on Tuesday and I am working my way through the shorts. So far, they look AMAZING...glossy, clear and free of white spots, dust, hissing, jumps, line scratches and splices. These 1940's shorts were filmed on better film stock than the earlier shorts from the mid 30's were, so they really jump out as far as the clarity is concerned.

Once I view them all from start to finish, I will post a full and indepth review.

In my envelope, there was an additional statement from Sony stating that "Volume 3 is the continuation of the entire rollout of the Three Stooges' output". All signs point to them releasing all 190 titles!

xraffle

Thanks S&C. It's great to hear that the quality of these sets are getting better and better. I'm looking forward to reading your full, in-depth review.

Offline Stooges#1

Thanks S&C, sounds like another fantastic set.

stooged and confused

Fans of the Three Stooges have much to rejoice about as Sony unveiled its plans to release the entire oeuvre of 190 shorts the Boys made for Columbia Pictures from 1934-1958. Volume 3 has been eagerly awaited, for it includes the historical (and hysterical) "You Nazty Spy" and fan favorite "A Plumbing We Will Go".

Relax, Stoogephiles! The quality displayed in the first two volumes of chronological shorts continues here. Actually, these films look even BETTER than many on the previous sets. By the 1940's, the technology was consistently better than the 1930's. These shorts have a beautiful contrast of rich black and white; no pops; no major hissing on the soundtrack; no dust; no scratches and any splices or jumps have been fixed. These shorts have never looked or sounded better and I've seen all of these titles numerous times over the years.

As with all performers, the Stooges had their share of shorts that missed their mark. Let's face it-with 190 titles in their filmography, there were some bad apples in the barrel. However, weaker efforts like "Even As I.O.U" still have some gonzo scenes (Curly and the bassoon) to make it a watchable outing.

This volume of theatrical shorts contains several films released during wartime and some great titles like "Sock-A-Bye, Baby" have a few un PC bits of dialog that the unfamiliar viewer may find shocking. During the time these films were made, America was at serious odds with the Japanese and that sentiment is displayed here (also on future shorts like "No Dough, Boys" to be featured on Volume 4  releasing October 7).

All in all, the collection of shorts hit the comedy bullseye (with only a few weak efforts such as "Rockin' Thru The Rockies" and the earlier mentioned "Even As I.O.U."). It's the last volume to feature Curly Howard (easily, the most popular Stooge) in his prime, before his career suffered from declining health.

So, what are ya waitin' for, ya mallethead? Grab Volume 3 on August 26th and get your N'yucks on!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:31:07 AM by stooged and confused »

xraffle

Thanks for the review. I just have two questions:
-Are there any clippings on the opening songs?
-Did Sony add their logo to the end of every short like they did with Volume 2?

stooged and confused

Yes, X. The Sony logo is at the end of each short. As far as music clippings, I'd say on a few occasions, the fade up of volume may give the impression that the music is clipped, when in fact, it's just very quiet on the first bar or two as the sound fades up.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

So is Sock-A-Bye, Baby" missing seen back in ? Where Moe is hanging lettuce to dry .

Offline Lefty

I don't remember that part of "Sock-a-bye Baby."  I can recite the 9 foods that Moe mentioned for the baby's breakfast:  "Enchiladas, spaghetti, artichokes, onions, celery, olives, radishes, pig's feet, and herring!"  Well, I can handle 4 of the 9 without Pepto or bicarbonate.   :P

Offline Stooges#1

Nice review S&C. I just have one question.

Where you wrote volume 4 is releasing October 27th, was that a mistake and you meant to type the 7th or did Sony push the date back?

xraffle

Where you wrote volume 4 is releasing October 27th, was that a mistake and you meant to type the 7th or did Sony push the date back?

Most likely a mistake. October 27th is a Monday. DVDs only get released on Tuesdays.

It kind of annoys me that Sony can't get the opening songs right. Music clippings are unacceptable. I don't think it's too much to ask. But I guess I'm just an anal-retentive freak. Though these Stooge DVD sets are like the first DVDs I've owned that have any clippings. Other companies can release TV shows will complete opening music. I wonder why Sony is having trouble. [confused2]

Offline Sadistic Stooge

yeah it would be nice with the opening music

xraffle

yeah it would be nice with the opening music

Yeah, it would. I bought a couple of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVDs at Costco for only $23.99 each. All shorts have complete opening music. There's not one music clipping on the DVDs. And there are 60 cartoons per set too. I also have the first Popeye set with the same number of cartoons. No music clippings there either.

stooged and confused

YUP--it was a typo!! I corrected it--gracias!

stooged and confused

So is Sock-A-Bye, Baby" missing seen back in ? Where Moe is hanging lettuce to dry .

Yes, the "missing" scenes are in tact and restored on the new set. Those scenes were usually edited out on local TV for the "offensive" nature. I also recall our local Chicago station editing out some of the mayhem during the 1970's--like whenever scissors were used on the nose and ears. That's back in here as well!

stooged and confused

Yeah, it would. I bought a couple of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVDs at Costco for only $23.99 each. All shorts have complete opening music. There's not one music clipping on the DVDs. And there are 60 cartoons per set too. I also have the first Popeye set with the same number of cartoons. No music clippings there either.

Again, XRaffle, I don't think they are clipped on this set. I have my sound running through a Kenwood mixer and Infinity speakers and it sounds like that first second or two are just faded up and that may be the way these particular title cards were mixed in the first place.

stooged and confused

Oh, and I love how on "From Nurse To Worse" you can really see the money fall out of Larry's hair before Moe grabs it and then it's right back in place after the cut. It is just so obvious now because of the superior picture image! >:D

xraffle

Again, XRaffle, I don't think they are clipped on this set. I have my sound running through a Kenwood mixer and Infinity speakers and it sounds like that first second or two are just faded up and that may be the way these particular title cards were mixed in the first place.

I see. Sorry about that. I misread your post. Well maybe Sony did fix the music clippings. I'll find out at the end of this month. ;D

Offline Justin T

Yes, the "missing" scenes are in tact and restored on the new set. Those scenes were usually edited out on local TV for the "offensive" nature. I also recall our local Chicago station editing out some of the mayhem during the 1970's--like whenever scissors were used on the nose and ears. That's back in here as well!

I'm very happy to hear that, I always hated it when they edited the shorts on TV so I'm glad Sony is giving it to us this way.

Thanks for the review S&C, can't wait to get Vol 3!
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

xraffle

On Sony's website, there are some preview clips.
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/catalog/catalogDetail_DVD043396263826.html

Based on what I saw on the clips, I'm a bit disappointed with the way "A Plumbing We Will Go" looks. Hopefully, the DVDs will look better than these clips.

stooged and confused

X:

I just clicked on your link to see what your gripe was about and I understand how that clip was misleading. It is VERY misleading for one big reason. The preview clip is NOT from the DVD print. The contrast and spots shown on the clip is obviously used from another print, NOT THE RESTORED PRINT USED ON THE NEW DVD SET!! The print on disc is world's better than that. Why they would show an inferior print not used on the product being advertised is beyond me!!

xraffle

X:

I just clicked on your link to see what your gripe was about and I understand how that clip was misleading. It is VERY misleading for one big reason. The preview clip is NOT from the DVD print. The contrast and spots shown on the clip is obviously used from another print, NOT THE RESTORED PRINT USED ON THE NEW DVD SET!! The print on disc is world's better than that. Why they would show an inferior print not used on the product being advertised is beyond me!!

[relieved] Boy! That's a relief. Thanks so much, S&C, for telling me that. That really wasn't smart of Sony to use the inferior print to advertise the set.

Offline locoboymakesgood

X, since I only have previous DVDs to do comparisons, how bad are the "clippings"? You'd figure after seeing each short 100 times I'd know this by now, but do the "clippings" vary on release to release (i.e. TV broadcast, VHS, older DVD, etc.)?
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

X, since I only have previous DVDs to do comparisons, how bad are the "clippings"? You'd figure after seeing each short 100 times I'd know this by now, but do the "clippings" vary on release to release (i.e. TV broadcast, VHS, older DVD, etc.)?

The best example is watch "Calling All Curs" in Volume 2. You'll see that the very beginning of the opening music is clipped off.

Offline locoboymakesgood

The best example is watch "Calling All Curs" in Volume 2. You'll see that the very beginning of the opening music is clipped off.
Man, you weren't kidding! AHH!!

I'm anal like that, too. Now it's going to bother me. haha
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)