Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Larry Fine in a Buster Keaton short?

· 13 · 2777

stoogeophile

Hi friends,

I know that is very difficult that Larry (already being a member of the Stooges) could have done a solo appearance in a Keaton Columbia short, but that guitar player at the table from whom Buster pick up the guitar resembles very much to Larry Fine. What do you think, you guys and gals? Interestingly, at 2:19 can be heard Curly Howard's yell also.

Offline curlysdame

Oh boy!  I haven't seen that short in a while.  Haha, 'gotta love Bud Jamison as a Mexican (I apologize in advance if this is seen as un-PC in any way.  I don't wanna get bitched out  :P).  Yeah, that's Curly's yell alright;we all know how Columbia loved recycling sound effects.  And that guy that looks like 'Larry'...I wanna say it's definitely not him.       
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline JazzBill

Oh boy!  I haven't seen that short in a while.  Haha, 'gotta love Bud Jamison as a Mexican (I apologize in advance if this is seen as un-PC in any way.  I don't wanna get bitched out  :P).  Yeah, that's Curly's yell alright;we all know how Columbia loved recycling sound effects.  And that guy that looks like 'Larry'...I wanna say it's definitely not him.       
I agree. It probably is a recycled Curly yell. But that is not Larry.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline FineBari3

I agree. It probably is a recycled Curly yell. But that is not Larry.

Some very good opinions on the fan club group with this same topic.

I think it is Larry!  Pause the thing and look at his face, especially at the end of his bit. Look at his gestures and reactions....I think it could be him.

[scratchchin]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline JazzBill

Some very good opinions on the fan club group with this same topic.

I think it is Larry!  Pause the thing and look at his face, especially at the end of his bit. Look at his gestures and reactions....I think it could be him.

[scratchchin]
I think the guy in the Keaton film has a smaller nose than Larry, I also think Larry was a little heavier. Why would they give Curly credit but not Larry ?

Pest from the West (1939)

IMDbPro.com offers representation listings for over 65,000 individuals, including actors, directors, and producers, as well as company and employee contact details for over 10,000 companies in the entertainment industry.
Click here for a free trial!

Directed by
Del Lord   

Writing credits

Clyde Bruckman   writer
Buster Keaton   

Cast 

Buster Keaton ...  Sir
 Lorna Gray ...  Senorita

Gino Corrado ...  Martino
 Richard Fiske ...  Ferdinand the Bullfighter
 Bud Jamison ...  Neighbor taking siesta
 Eddie Laughton ...  Deckhand
 Ned Glass ...  Deckhand
 Forbes Murray ...  Butler

Produced by
Jules White ....  associate producer 

Cinematography by
Henry Freulich   

Film Editing by
Charles Nelson   

Sound Department
Edward Bernds ....  sound recordist (uncredited) 

Music Department
Charley Chase ....  singing voice 
Howard Jackson ....  composer: stock music (uncredited) 
Arthur Morton ....  composer: stock music (uncredited) 
Alfred Newman ....  composer: stock music (uncredited) 
William Grant Still ....  composer: stock music (uncredited) 

Other crew
Curly Howard ....  voice-over: Martino's fall into cellar 

Offline metaldams

Probably not Larry but an argument can be made.  This actor definitely looks thinner, but hey, you never know.
- Doug Sarnecky

stooged and confused

It's NOT Larry..could be Columbia stock player Charles Dorety, but it's not Larry! Curly's "yell" was recycled many times in other Stooge shorts.

Offline locoboymakesgood

That's a neat find! I've never seen any Buster Keaton shorts, so that was a bit of a treat.

Thanks for sharing!
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline metaldams

I've never seen any Buster Keaton shorts, so that was a bit of a treat.

Do yourself a favor and do something about that.  In fact, if you look in the youtube section on this site, you should find a few.  Enjoy!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Hammond Eggar

I'm not quite sure if that's Larry Fine.  It's still a question mark, although anything is possible.  As for the yell, that's definitely Curly.  When I heard it, it instantly took me back to the scene in "Cash and Carry" in which Moe pulls Curly into the hole where he and Larry have been digging.  I always thought it was odd to hear Curly's voice in the Stooges' own "Sappy Bullfighters," a Besser short, no less.  This, however, takes-the-cake.  I wonder why they would use Curly's voice in a non-Stooges film?  It is a mystery. ???
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline FineBari3

I'm not quite sure if that's Larry Fine.  It's still a question mark, although anything is possible.  As for the yell, that's definitely Curly.  When I heard it, it instantly took me back to the scene in "Cash and Carry" in which Moe pulls Curly into the hole where he and Larry have been digging.  I always thought it was odd to hear Curly's voice in the Stooges' own "Sappy Bullfighters," a Besser short, no less.  This, however, takes-the-cake.  I wonder why they would use Curly's voice in a non-Stooges film?  It is a mystery. ???

Obviously, we have heard the same sound effects used in the Stooges shorts before.  Curly's mad woo woo comes to mind; it is annoying to me sometimes to hear it over and over in a short.  So of course it makes sense for the same sound effects people to re-use the good sounds!

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline JazzBill

It's no big mystery. Most of the time, it was a way of cutting corners for Columbia. Another short that comes to mind is the Shemp solo Columbia short, " A Hit With A Miss ", this was a total remake of  "Punch Drunks ". They recycled scenes of the kid throwing candy at the bell, and some of the truck scenes out of " Punch Drunks " in this one.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Thanks, FineBari3 and JazzBill.  You both make great points. ;)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)