Our Gang DVD Collection, 80 shorts, 10/28/08

BeAStooge · 31 · 11101

Linked Events

• Our Gang DVD Collection: October 28, 2008 - November 03, 2008

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
There are rumors flying around that this set will be released on DVD-5 (single layer) discs. 

The rumor is not true, dispelled over at Home Theatre Forum recently.

Offline Umbday

Well, even though I'm not a big Our Gang fan (I've only seen Wild Poses because of L&H and a couple of other shorts when I was a kid), I think I might splurge on this just for the fact it's something from the Roach Library.

I guess I'm just being anal. I just hope these are in chronological order and not missing any title cards.

Reportedly, these are the same cleaned-up versions released in the 1990's on the 21 Cabin Fever VHS volumes. I own them all, and they were a revelation. Anyone like me who was only familiar with the heavily edited Little Rascals films broadcast on television in the 1970's should be really pleased.

Original MGM titles are restored, and evidently this set presents the films in chronological order. Also, several of the (few) surviving Our Gang members offer introductions. Cool. 

Offline archiezappa

Original MGM titles are restored, and evidently this set presents the films in chronological order.  

Looks like we've influenced others to do things the way the Three Stooges have been done.  Old short subjects in chronological order?  Sounds like we need all short subjects done that way.  Three Stooges are a must that way.  Little Rascals, it's not a bad idea to put them in order.  They should do the same thing with Laurel & Hardy, too.  The shorts restored and in chronological order. 

I think we've started a trend.

Offline metaldams

Looks like we've influenced others to do things the way the Three Stooges have been done.  Old short subjects in chronological order?  Sounds like we need all short subjects done that way.  Three Stooges are a must that way.  Little Rascals, it's not a bad idea to put them in order.  They should do the same thing with Laurel & Hardy, too.  The shorts restored and in chronological order. 

I think we've started a trend.

You know what the crime of it is?  You can buy historically interesting, yet vastly inferior Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy solo shorts easier than the majority of the stuff they did as a team.

- Doug Sarnecky

AmalgamatedMoron

TVShowsonDVD reports that Genius Products and RHI are releasing a "Little Rascals Collection" DVD set on October 28, 2008.

80 shorts, i.e., the "talkie" era Hal Roach shorts (1929 - 1938) owned by RHI Entertainment will comprise the collection. Suggested retail is $89.98.  Box artwork and a more detailed press release are pending.

Film classics, and they're filled with many familiar supporting players from the Stooges' shorts... Billy Gilbert, James C. Morton, William Irving, Dudley Dickerson, Symona Boniface, John Lester Johnson, Del Henderson, and more.

Amazon is currently offering this set for the pre-order price of $54.99.  Not bad, 35 bucks off the retail price.  I will definitely be purchasing this one.