Our Gang DVD Collection, 80 shorts, 10/28/08

BeAStooge · 31 · 11236

Linked Events

• Our Gang DVD Collection: October 28, 2008 - November 03, 2008

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
TVShowsonDVD reports that Genius Products and RHI are releasing a "Little Rascals Collection" DVD set on October 28, 2008.

80 shorts, i.e., the "talkie" era Hal Roach shorts (1929 - 1938) owned by RHI Entertainment will comprise the collection. Suggested retail is $89.98.  Box artwork and a more detailed press release are pending.

Film classics, and they're filled with many familiar supporting players from the Stooges' shorts... Billy Gilbert, James C. Morton, William Irving, Dudley Dickerson, Symona Boniface, John Lester Johnson, Del Henderson, and more.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 02:35:34 AM by BeAStooge »

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
TVShowsonDVD reports that Genius Products and RHI are releasing a "Little Rascals Collection" DVD set on October 28, 2008.

80 shorts, i.e., the "talkie" era Hal Roach shorts (1929 - 1938) owned by RHI Entertainment will comprise the collection. Suggested retail is $89.98.  Box artwork and a more detailed press release are pending.

Film classics, and they're filled with many familiar supporting players from the Stooges' shorts... Billy Gilbert, James C. Morton, William Irving, Dudley Dickerson, Symona Boniface, and more.

Oh man, yet another thing for me to buy this year!  [cool]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:23:34 AM by BeAStooge »

Offline metaldams

Wonderful, and truth be told, there are dozens upon dozens of Our Gang's that I've never seen or haven't seen since I was knee high to a grasshopper.  It'll be nice to have something new to watch.

Perhaps this is a good sign for Laurel and Hardy in North America, or am I just dreaming?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

I'm not enough of an Our Gang fan to buy something like this, but it's good to see they're finally coming to DVD. That means Laurel & Hardy can't be far.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

Oh wow!  I haven't seen the Little Rascals since I was a kid!  I've just got to get this collection.  I hope they're not (dare I say it?) colorized.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I'm sure these have been here before

[youtube=425,350]NXt0_25rHFo[/youtube]

The original...

[youtube=425,350]K64V74hPBVA[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]GxiI8QX_518&NR=1[/youtube]

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline metaldams

Ah yes, THE KID FROM BORNEO!  Stone cold classic.

Brent, am I safe in assuming that Hallmark no longer owns the Hal Roach catalog, or have they had a change of heart concerning their films?  I'm assuming it's the former as I remember hearing rumors a while back that Hallmark is no longer involved.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Brent, am I safe in assuming that Hallmark no longer owns the Hal Roach catalog, or have they had a change of heart concerning their films?  I'm assuming it's the former as I remember hearing rumors a while back that Hallmark is no longer involved.

Hallmark owned RHI, and the sound Hal Roach film library, for several years.  A corporate reorganization in 2007 made RHI and Hallmark "sister" companies (which are part of a holding company), and each has its own, separate management team.  RHI received the Roach film library in the reorganization.

This DVD boxset does not necessarily reflect RHI's regard for the entire Roach library.  The 80 1929 - 1938 Roach "Our Gang" films already received complete restorations (from negatives in the Library of Congress) in the early 1990s.  Cabin Fever Entertainment marketed the shorts in 1994, on 21 VHS volumes and 4 laser disc box sets.  CB went bankrupt, RHI bought it, and then Hallmark bought RHI.  Now, Hallmark and RHI are separate entities.

RHI is packaging this boxset from those restorations.  Outside of packaging, distribution and marketing in partnership with Genius Entertainment, RHI is not [yet] doing any work in regard to upgrading their Hal Roach archives.

RHI's Laurel & Hardy holdings are not restored; nor the other Roach shorts.  The L&H films provided to Turner Classic Movies are largely coming from tape masters that were done for a 1980s syndication package.  The prints of Charley Chase, Todd & Pitts, Todd & Kelly, Taxi Boys, et. al., leased to TCM over the past couple years have been hit-and-miss in quality, taken from whatever 35mm print was available... TCM has refused some titles for quality/condition.

All of the Hal Roach titles owned by RHI have the original nitrate camera negatives, and have been safely housed by UCLA for several years (after Hallmark decided to discard the volatile negatives).  Hopefully, RHI will someday access these materials in an all-out restoration project.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I'm guessing the lack of restoration is why we won't see an L&H box any time soon.

Offline metaldams

Hallmark owned RHI, and the sound Hal Roach film library, for several years.  A corporate reorganization in 2007 made RHI and Hallmark "sister" companies (which are part of a holding company), and each has its own, separate management team.  RHI received the Roach film library in the reorganization.

This DVD boxset does not necessarily reflect RHI's regard for the entire Roach library.  The 80 1929 - 1938 Roach "Our Gang" films already received complete restorations (from negatives in the Library of Congress) in the early 1990s.  Cabin Fever Entertainment marketed the shorts in 1994, on 21 VHS volumes and 4 laser disc box sets.  CB went bankrupt, RHI bought it, and then Hallmark bought RHI.  Now, Hallmark and RHI are separate entities.

RHI is packaging this boxset from those restorations.  Outside of packaging, distribution and marketing in partnership with Genius Entertainment, RHI is not [yet] doing any work in regard to upgrading their Hal Roach archives.

RHI's Laurel & Hardy holdings are not restored; nor the other Roach shorts.  The L&H films provided to Turner Classic Movies are largely coming from tape masters that were done for a 1980s syndication package.  The prints of Charley Chase, Todd & Pitts, Todd & Kelly, Taxi Boys, et. al., leased to TCM over the past couple years have been hit-and-miss in quality, taken from whatever 35mm print was available... TCM has refused some titles for quality/condition.

All of the Hal Roach titles owned by RHI have the original nitrate camera negatives, and have been safely housed by UCLA for several years (after Hallmark decided to discard the volatile negatives).  Hopefully, RHI will someday access these materials in an all-out restoration project.

Thanks Brent.  That's kind of - sort of good new, I guess.  I too have noticed some of the TCM prints haven't been top quality, and now I know why.  Good to see The Little Rascals have been given some justice.  Speaking of which, I hear a silent Our Gang set is also in the works!

http://www.laughsmith.com/
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

From a classic film enthusiast standpoint, shouldn't these be titled "Our Gang" and not "The Little Rascals"?

Offline archiezappa

From a classic film enthusiast standpoint, shouldn't these be titled "Our Gang" and not "The Little Rascals"?

That's exactly what I was thinking!

Offline metaldams

But from a comapny's standpoint trying to sell a product, THE LITTLE RASCALS name will sell much more.  They can call it DEBBIE DOES DALLAS for all I care, I'm just happy I'll have an opportunity to see these films.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

But from a comapny's standpoint trying to sell a product, THE LITTLE RASCALS name will sell much more.  They can call it DEBBIE DOES DALLAS for all I care, I'm just happy I'll have an opportunity to see these films.
Well, even though I'm not a big Our Gang fan (I've only seen Wild Poses because of L&H and a couple of other shorts when I was a kid), I think I might splurge on this just for the fact it's something from the Roach Library.

I guess I'm just being anal. I just hope these are in chronological order and not missing any title cards.

Offline archiezappa

I just hope these are in chronological order and not missing any title cards.

I understand that these will be taken from the same remastered prints that were used on the vhs box set in the 90's.  All of those had completely restored title cards.  Basically, in the 90's, the Little Rascals got the same treatment that the Stooges are getting now.  I also hope they're in chronological order.  I don't like it when they're grouped by theme.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
SYNOPSIS:
"The Little Rascals: The Complete Collection" spans the years of 1929-1938. This collections contains all 80 of the original Little Rascals theatrical talkies in their entirety; fully Remastered, Restored and Uncut. This amazing 8-disc set contains a collectible booklet, loads of nostalgic bonus footage, photos and much more! This preeminent collection is a must-have for fans, both old and new.

DISC 1 (Introduction by Richard Bann):

Small Talk (1929)
Railroadin' (1929)
Boxing Gloves (1929)
Lazy Days (1929)
Bouncing Babies (1929)
Moan and Groan Inc (1929)
Shivering Shakespeare (1930)
The First Seven Years (1930)
When the Wind Blows (1930)
Bear Shooters (1930)

DISC 2 (Introduction by Tom Hatten):
A Tough Winter (1930)
Pups is Pups (1930)
Teacher's Pet (1930) - Commentary by Richard Bann
School's Out (1930)
Helping Grandma (1931)
Love Business (1931)
Little Daddy (1931)
Bargain Days (1931)
Fly My Kite (1931) - Commentary by Richard Bann
Big Ears (1931)

DISC 3 (Introduction by Dickie Moore):
Shiver My Timbers (1931)
Dog is Dogs (1931)
Readin' and Writin' (1932)
Free Eats (1932)
Spanky (1932)
Choo Choo (1932)
Pooch (1932)
Hook and Ladder (1932)
Free Wheeling (1932)
Birthday Blues (1932)

DISC 4 (Introduction by Jerry Tucker):
A Lad an' a Lamp (1932)
Fish Hooky (1933)
Forgotten Babies (1933)
Kid from Borneo (1933)
Mush and Milk  (1933)
Bedtime Worries (1933)
Wild Poses (1933) - Commentary by Richard Ward
Hi, Neighbor (1934)
For Pete's Sake (1934)
The First Round-Up (1934)

DISC 5 (Introduction by Jerry Tucker):
Honkey Donkey (1934)
Mike Fright (1934)
Washee Ironee (1934)
Mama's Little Pirate (1934)
Shrimps for a Day (1934)
Anniversary Trouble (1935)
Beginner's Luck (1935)
Teacher's Beau (1935)
Sprucin' Up (1935)
Little Papa (1935)

DISC 6 (Introduction by Richard Lewis Ward):
Little Sinner (1935)
Our Gang Follies of 1936 (1935)
Divot Diggers (1936)
The Liucky Corner (1936)
Pinch Singer  (1936)
Second Childhood  (1936)
Arbor Day  (1936)
Bored of Education  (1936)
Two Too Young  (1936)
Pay as You Exit (1936)
Spooky Hooky (1936)
Reunion in Rhythm (1937)
Glove Taps (1937)

DISC 7 (Introduction by Annie Ross):
Hearts are Thumps (1937)
Three Smart Boys (1937)
Rushin' Ballet  (1937)
Roamin' Holiday (1937)
Night 'n' Gales (1937)
Fishy Tales (1937)
Framing Youth (1937)
The Pigskin Palooka (1937)
Mail and Female (1937)
Our Gang Follies of 1938 (1937)
Canned Fishing (1938)
Bear Facts (1938)
Three Men in a Tub (1938)
Came the Brawn (1938)
Feed 'em and Weep (1938)
The Awful Tooth (1938)
Hide and Shriek (1938)

DISC 8 (Introduction by Jean Darling):
Three Silents:
Dog Heaven (1927) - Commentary by Richard Ward
Spook Spoofing (1928) - Commentary by Richard Ward
Barnum & Ringling, Inc. (1928)
The Story of Hal Roach and Our Gang
Rascals and Racial Issues
Catching Up With The Rascals - this feature contains the following:
Catching Up with the Rascals: Dickie Moore
Catching Up with the Rascals: Jean Darling
Catching Up with the Rascals: Jerry Tucker
Catching Up with the Rascals: Annie Ross
Memories of Spanky (with Rick Sapphire)

Offline metaldams

SYNOPSIS:
"The Little Rascals: The Complete Collection" spans the years of 1929-1938. This collections contains all 80 of the original Little Rascals theatrical talkies in their entirety; fully Remastered, Restored and Uncut. This amazing 8-disc set contains a collectible booklet, loads of nostalgic bonus footage, photos and much more! This preeminent collection is a must-have for fans, both old and new.

DISC 1 (Introduction by Richard Bann):

Small Talk (1929)
Railroadin' (1929)
Boxing Gloves (1929)
Lazy Days (1929)
Bouncing Babies (1929)
Moan and Groan Inc (1929)
Shivering Shakespeare (1930)
The First Seven Years (1930)
When the Wind Blows (1930)
Bear Shooters (1930)

DISC 2 (Introduction by Tom Hatten):
A Tough Winter (1930)
Pups is Pups (1930)
Teacher's Pet (1930) - Commentary by Richard Bann
School's Out (1930)
Helping Grandma (1931)
Love Business (1931)
Little Daddy (1931)
Bargain Days (1931)
Fly My Kite (1931) - Commentary by Richard Bann
Big Ears (1931)

DISC 3 (Introduction by Dickie Moore):
Shiver My Timbers (1931)
Dog is Dogs (1931)
Readin' and Writin' (1932)
Free Eats (1932)
Spanky (1932)
Choo Choo (1932)
Pooch (1932)
Hook and Ladder (1932)
Free Wheeling (1932)
Birthday Blues (1932)

DISC 4 (Introduction by Jerry Tucker):
A Lad an' a Lamp (1932)
Fish Hooky (1933)
Forgotten Babies (1933)
Kid from Borneo (1933)
Mush and Milk  (1933)
Bedtime Worries (1933)
Wild Poses (1933) - Commentary by Richard Ward
Hi, Neighbor (1934)
For Pete's Sake (1934)
The First Round-Up (1934)

DISC 5 (Introduction by Jerry Tucker):
Honkey Donkey (1934)
Mike Fright (1934)
Washee Ironee (1934)
Mama's Little Pirate (1934)
Shrimps for a Day (1934)
Anniversary Trouble (1935)
Beginner's Luck (1935)
Teacher's Beau (1935)
Sprucin' Up (1935)
Little Papa (1935)

DISC 6 (Introduction by Richard Lewis Ward):
Little Sinner (1935)
Our Gang Follies of 1936 (1935)
Divot Diggers (1936)
The Liucky Corner (1936)
Pinch Singer  (1936)
Second Childhood  (1936)
Arbor Day  (1936)
Bored of Education  (1936)
Two Too Young  (1936)
Pay as You Exit (1936)
Spooky Hooky (1936)
Reunion in Rhythm (1937)
Glove Taps (1937)

DISC 7 (Introduction by Annie Ross):
Hearts are Thumps (1937)
Three Smart Boys (1937)
Rushin' Ballet  (1937)
Roamin' Holiday (1937)
Night 'n' Gales (1937)
Fishy Tales (1937)
Framing Youth (1937)
The Pigskin Palooka (1937)
Mail and Female (1937)
Our Gang Follies of 1938 (1937)
Canned Fishing (1938)
Bear Facts (1938)
Three Men in a Tub (1938)
Came the Brawn (1938)
Feed 'em and Weep (1938)
The Awful Tooth (1938)
Hide and Shriek (1938)

Three Silents:
Dog Heaven (1927) - Commentary by Richard Ward
Spook Spoofing (1928) - Commentary by Richard Ward
Barnum & Ringling, Inc. (1928)

If there was a drooling smiley, I'd post it.

This will no doubt fill up some holes in my classic comedy viewing, 'cause I haven't seen about 70% - 80% of this stuff.  REALLY looking forward to this one.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

SYNOPSIS:

>>snip<<

Wow, that is some nice bonus material!

I just never really enjoyed The Little Rascals....even when I was young. I saw a short at the Fan Club Meeting a few years ago, and it reminded me that I just don't find them that funny.   [fear]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

AmalgamatedMoron

Thanks for the heads-up on this.  I only recently introduced my Stooge crazed son and daughter [pie] to the Little Rascals.  They enjoyed them quite a bit.  Seems like most of the really good stuff is old, and in b&w.  Another purchase to add to the budget this year.

Tardo317

There are rumors flying around that this set will be released on DVD-5 (single layer) discs.  I'm skeptical based on the amount of content on each disc.  But someone over at www.thelittlerascals.net is claiming that Genius Products reps (whom he spoke with at Comic Con) are the source of the information.  If that's the case, it would increase the compression quite a bit.  Also note that the shorts take up 7 discs with the 8th being bonus extras.  That would be 80 shorts on 7 discs!

I've sent an e-mail to Genius Products but have yet to receive a response.  I was really looking forward to these but the compression factor, if true, is quite concerning.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

I hate every thing that comes out from Genius  . They just want money , they don,t care about what people think .

I wanted to get this set too, but on what you just told us about the DVD-5  , ill save my money for some other set .

Tardo317

This bootleg set is starting to look better and better to me.  Pretty good reviews and can be had for $35.00 shipped.

LITTLE RASCALS -11 DVD BOXED SET-MEGA COLLECTION-88 EPISODES

I would prefer the October commercial release, but not at the expense of video quality.  80 shorts on 7 single layer discs will not provide the best results no matter which way you cut it.  I'm really hoping that the rumor is untrue.