Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooges on Local TV, and more

Lefty · 28 · 6595

Offline Lefty

I am interested if people outside the Philadelphia region have the Stooges on one of their local channels (VHF, UHF -- the ones that were free before cable).  I do know that Boston has 4 episodes in 90 minutes on their CW affiliate.  We have 3 episodes in 60 minutes on ours, which of course are incomplete and cut.  These days if an episode is shown that I have on the DVDs that Sony FINALLY got around to making, I bypass Channel 57 to watch them in their entirety on DVD.

Since this question started a separate discussion that was completely off topic, I've decided to split the posts off of the original thread (Creating New Topics) and let the conversation continue in its own thread.

FYI, Lefty - this question would have been more appropriately asked on the ASK TEAM STOOGE thread.  While we do allow discussions to wander all over the place, I would appreciate it if new members tried to post questions on a thread that is at least somewhat in line with the question; this had nothing at all to do with the topic of "Creating New Threads."

- Dunrobin
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:46:58 AM by Dunrobin »

Offline FineBari3

I am interested if people outside the Philadelphia region have the Stooges on one of their local channels (VHF, UHF -- the ones that were free before cable).  I do know that Boston has 4 episodes in 90 minutes on their CW affiliate.  We have 3 episodes in 60 minutes on ours, which of course are incomplete and cut.  These days if an episode is shown that I have on the DVDs that Sony FINALLY got around to making, I bypass Channel 57 to watch them in their entirety on DVD.

Nothing here in Pittsboigh.

I believe Chicago has a station that runs the Stooges on the weekends, but I don't know for sure.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline JazzBill

I believe Chicago has a station that runs the Stooges on the weekends, but I don't know for sure.
Yes we do. It's called "Stooge-a-polooza", 7pm to 9pm every Saturday night.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir:  (Jazz Bill): ;D

Please forgive me sir for bothering you.  But I was wondering sir if you could tell what station it is in Chicago that airs the Stooges every Saturday Night.  Thank you sir for taking the time to respond to my post.  Again sorry for being a nusiance.

Thank You Kindly Sir:

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra [3stooges]
Moron4392 [pie]

Offline JazzBill

Dear Sir:  (Jazz Bill): ;D

Please forgive me sir for bothering you.  But I was wondering sir if you could tell what station it is in Chicago that airs the Stooges every Saturday Night.  Thank you sir for taking the time to respond to my post.  Again sorry for being a nusiance.

Thank You Kindly Sir:

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra [3stooges]
Moron4392 [pie]
It's on WCIU (the U). It's hosted by a guy named Rich Koz . After "Stooge a polooza"  he hosts a show called  "Svengoolie" . Here he is dressed up like a vampire and shows B-Grade movies.  Movies like "Plan 9 From Outer Space", "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein". He's a throw-back to 50s & 60s.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

It's on WCIU (the U). It's hosted by a guy named Rich Koz . After "Stooge a polooza"  he hosts a show called  "Svengoolie" . Here he is dressed up like a vampire and shows B-Grade movies.  Movies like "Plan 9 From Outer Space", "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein". He's a throw-back to 50s & 60s.

Im in Chicago and yes Stooge a Polooza is on every Saturday from 7pm to 9pm on 26TheU (in HD) www.wciu.com . Rich Koz Has been hosting stooges shows since the mid 80's and been doing Svengoolie since the 70's .

If you have a my space page you can hit up Rich Koz there and let him know how you like Stooge A Polooza
  www.myspace.com/richkoz26 

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid

Being the throwback, he also takes after some of the 50's & 60's hosts. In the Dallas-Ft.Worth area, the independent TV station Channel 11 (during the 50's & 60's, that is) had a program called Slam Bang Theatre, hosted by the beloved Icky Twerp. Bill Camfield (Icky's real name) also hosted a late night horror movie venue titled Nightmare Theater, where Bill dressed up in a cloak and ghoulish attire, calling himself Gorgon. Svengoolie has taken hints from the best of the past.     [3stooges]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir:  (Jazz Bill): [cool]

Thank you sir for your reply to my post.  May the remaining portion of your week and your upcoming weekend be a poifect one for you sir.

Greatly appreciated sir.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Fred,

There was only one Ghoul. Purveyor of bad B movie thrillers...

http://www.theghoul.com/index2.html

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline JazzBill

Fred,

There was only one Ghoul. Purveyor of bad B movie thrillers...

http://www.theghoul.com/index2.html

James
[youtube=425,350]NyE5ePmBQ4A[/youtube]

Offline curlysdame

[youtube=425,350]NyE5ePmBQ4A[/youtube]

Gotta love that third guy in the back.  He's totally off sync... Then again, that's probably why he's in the back!   :P
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline curlysdame

...No Stooges programs here in San Francisco, either.  The only channel out here that would show the Stooges was on Spike, and they rarely show them now.  Of course, AMC used to show The Boys (1999-2002?), but that's loong been over.   :(
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline locoboymakesgood

...No Stooges programs here in San Francisco, either.  The only channel out here that would show the Stooges was on Spike, and they rarely show them now.  Of course, AMC used to show The Boys (1999-2002?), but that's loong been over.   :(
I'm not far from the Bay Area and it's sad the Boys aren't on TV here.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline FineBari3

Gotta love that third guy in the back.  He's totally off sync... Then again, that's probably why he's in the back!   :P

Aren't they all the same person?
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline curlysdame

Aren't they all the same person?

I dunno.  I initially thought it was 3 different guys, just by looking at their faces.  LoL, I'm probably wrong though.

I'm not far from the Bay Area and it's sad the Boys aren't on TV here.

Oh yeah!  That's right, you'd mentioned that before.  Where in the area are you from?

Offline JazzBill

I dunno.  I initially thought it was 3 different guys, just by looking at their faces.  LoL, I'm probably wrong though.

They are the same guy.You seem like such a nice person, I didn't want to correct you. :D

Offline curlysdame

You seem like such a nice person, I didn't want to correct you. :D

Hey Jazz... it's alright, you could've corrected me.  I can take it  [cool]  That applies to the rest of the regulars, too.  I'd rather be corrected than come off like an ass.

Offline Lefty

Today, July 23rd, is the 35th anniversary of a dark day in Stooges' history, and not due to any deaths.  The local affiliate that broadcast them back then, 3 shows a day, 5 days a week, began cutting out the first 3-5 minutes of the last episode each day to add more useless commercials.  Not all 190 shows were on then, but they were in multiples of 3, so the same 33% of the episodes were edited.  It sure felt odd seeing shows "begin" when they did.   For example, "Loco Boy Makes Good" opened with Curly shoving that cart towards the bad guy, knocking him out the window.  And in "Beer Barrel Polecats," the show started with the beer boiling over the container.  For "Healthy, Wealthy, and Dumb," Curly says "Oh boy, I hope I win this contest."

On June 4th, 1984, the channel changed its editing method, taking out bits and pieces here and there, sometimes with the obvious cut in the film.  "I'm sawing a saw in half with a saw, see?"  "Are you sure this cabinet will be in competent hands?"  "Soitenly, we're all incompetent!"

These days, the current channel does a bit of both in many shows.  The one that takes the cake (or pie, for the Stooges) is "We Want Our Mummy".  The channel shows just 7:28 of the entire short, cut up so bad that nothing makes any sense.

So for 3.5 decades, the "slashing and trashing" of our favorite comedy group has been going on.   >:(

Offline titmouse

• Porcupine
  • SHEMP FOR PRESIDENT IN 2020
Some might say that any part of a stooge short is better than nothing, but unless you have the full cut its like getting sloppy joes when you ordered grilled shemp. [spam]
"hey somebodys roasting a ham"

Offline FineBari3

Some might say that any part of a stooge short is better than nothing, but unless you have the full cut its like getting sloppy joes when you ordered grilled shemp. [spam]

I was trying to describe the difference between having frozen pizza and the local pizza place. I used the analogy of watching the movie 'Caddyshack' on a basic cable network and watching it on DVD unedited. It still is good, just not really good!   [confused2]

BTW, did you mean to say "grilled shemp"???
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline titmouse

• Porcupine
  • SHEMP FOR PRESIDENT IN 2020

BTW, did you mean to say "grilled shemp"???
[/quote]

sure did.....sloppy joes=Joe Besser Shorts vs. grilled shemp=Shemp Howard Shorts ???
"hey somebodys roasting a ham"

Offline metaldams

Titmouse?  BEST - USER - NAME - EVER.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Stooge

The local affiliate that broadcast them back then, 3 shows a day, 5 days a week, began cutting out the first 3-5 minutes of the last episode each day to add more useless commercials.  Not all 190 shows were on then, but they were in multiples of 3, so the same 33% of the episodes were edited.  It sure felt odd seeing shows "begin" when they did.   For example, "Loco Boy Makes Good" opened with Curly shoving that cart towards the bad guy, knocking him out the window.  And in "Beer Barrel Polecats," the show started with the beer boiling over the container.  For "Healthy, Wealthy, and Dumb," Curly says "Oh boy, I hope I win this contest."

The UPN affiliate in Chicago used to do something similar to that back in the 90's.  They used to call that portion of the the show "Classic Comedy Clip from the Stooges", and only air the second half of the final short that night.  These shortened shorts didn't begin as abruptly as the examples you listed, though.  They would usually start the short at the beginning of a new scene.  For example, HEALTHY, WEALTHY AND DUMB would start with the outside shot of "Hotel Costa Plente" followed by the Stooges entering their hotel room. 

An odd thing, though, is that when they would show only the second half of IDIOTS DE LUXE, they would edit out the ending back in the courtroom.  I guess because that last scene wouldn't make any sense if you didn't see the beginning of the short.  So the shortened version instead ended in the woods with Moe looking in surprise at the axe he had just split over Curly's head.

These days, the current channel does a bit of both in many shows.  The one that takes the cake (or pie, for the Stooges) is "We Want Our Mummy".  The channel shows just 7:28 of the entire short, cut up so bad that nothing makes any sense.

That must be the same version that Family Channel showed back in the day.  I remember their version was ridiculously butchered beyond belief, and the time length of it was about the same as the one you listed, 7 minutes.

stoogeophile

That must be the same version that Family Channel showed back in the day.  I remember their version was ridiculously butchered beyond belief, and the time length of it was about the same as the one you listed, 7 minutes.

Interestingly, here in Argentina this same short was butchered to around 7 1/2 minutes as well. I suspect it wasn't because of time schedule pressures, but because many parts dubbed in Spanish were lost or damaged. I believed that English and Spanish versions of the shorts came from different digital transfers, but if you say that "...Mummy" also was shortened in the English version, I don't know.

AmalgamatedMoron

I have to wonder if the same trend going on where I live is happening around the country.  That is, less and less of the Stooges on local stations.  I'm in St. Louis, Mo, and for years, as long as I can remember, they were on the local channel 11 every Saturday night at midnight for two hours.  Unedited and in their entirety to the best of my recollection.  Unfortunately, channel eleven dropped them years ago, because obviously they have something far more important to run on a Saturday evening at midnight!  This pissed of a lot of fans here, including myself. 

Now the only Stooges you can get here on TV is what you find on cable.  Usually Spike which runs those awful half hour segments where each short is cut to fit into a 30 minute slot.  You know, where they show 5 minutes followed by commercials then the next five minutes followed by more commercials, very annoying.  The local channel 11 showed them in their entirety and usually fit in three per hour.  They will probably only run them again if by chance some Stooge fan is put in charge of programming there someday, but I won't hold my breath on that.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Unfortunately, channel eleven dropped them years ago, because obviously they have something far more important to run on a Saturday evening at midnight!

I find it odd that you would jump to the conclusion that a TV station doesn't really give a crap about what its' viewers prefer.  Could it not have been a case of their contract to show the Stooges expiring and they were unable to negotiate a new one?

They will probably only run them again if by chance some Stooge fan is put in charge of programming there someday, but I won't hold my breath on that.

Even if the programming director of a local station is a fanatical devotee of the Stooges, that doesn't mean that the station would necessarily be able to obtain a contract to show them (at least at a reasonable enough cost to justify the airtime.)

Fortunately, technology advances and we are no longer dependent on local stations to air the Stooges, cut or uncut.  Personally, I'd rather pop in one of the DVDs and watch a few hours of Stooges without interruption at whatever time the fancy hits me.   ;D

xraffle

Personally, I'd rather pop in one of the DVDs and watch a few hours of Stooges without interruption at whatever time the fancy hits me.   ;D

Same here. That's why a lot of us are very excited about these new DVD sets. When all 9 volumes are out, we no longer need to depend on TV stations anymore. Our whole stooge collection would be sitting in a nice shelf and we can watch any episode we like at any time.

AmalgamatedMoron

I find it odd that you would jump to the conclusion that a TV station doesn't really give a crap about what its' viewers prefer.  Could it not have been a case of their contract to show the Stooges expiring and they were unable to negotiate a new one?

Sorry about that Rob.  Maybe I'm assuming too much and do not know enough about how these things work.  You may be correct on that.  I do know that anecdotal evidence suggest that there was a loyal following here in St. Louis, to channel 11's Stooge airings.  Perhaps I'm just too cynical over the whole issue.

Even if the programming director of a local station is a fanatical devotee of the Stooges, that doesn't mean that the station would necessarily be able to obtain a contract to show them (at least at a reasonable enough cost to justify the airtime.)

Yes, again you are correct.  I'm just conjecturing at how much power an individual in that position would have over such programming decisions.  Perhaps it's just wishful thinking.

Fortunately, technology advances and we are no longer dependent on local stations to air the Stooges, cut or uncut.  Personally, I'd rather pop in one of the DVDs and watch a few hours of Stooges without interruption at whatever time the fancy hits me.   Grin

I agree with you here, though there is something nostalgic to me about turning on the TV and seeing the Stooges.  But I do agree with your sentiment on technology.  In fact, I recently sent a thank you email to Mike Schlesinger at Sony.  In that email I said this:

"Again, thank you for all your hard work. My Stooge crazed son and daughter thank you as well. Now this generation will have the privilege of watching any and all of the stooges shorts at their leisure and command. Though the rest of us had to rely on the sporadic and intermittent airings of our local TV stations when we were kids. Thank God for the digital age and all of it's blessings and privileges."

I can't wait to complete my DVD collection.  Hopefully more of us here will take the time to express our gratitude to Sony for this wonderful gift.