Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Teams

Offline Sadistic Stooge

This one question I have been talking to people at work about for the past week is :

Do you think there can ever be comedy teams again in movies or tv , like in the 30' 40's and 50's ?

The only team I can think of is Cheech & Chong  during the 80's , but they were never funny to me .

[3stooges]

Offline archiezappa

There could be, if actors would stick together.  But it seems that everyone wants to work solo.  One of my favorite "teams" is Mike Myers & Dana Carvey.  They were so funny together.  Those two "Wayne's World" movies are two of my favorite movies.  I think that if Dana Carvey had been in the Austin Powers movies, they would have been a lot better.  Those guys played off each other so well.  As far as that goes, maybe Mike Myers' latest movie "The Love Guru" wouldn't have tanked at the box office if he had Dana Carvey with him.  Those two belong together in movies.  Why can't they understand that?

Offline metaldams

Chris Farley and David Spade were a team in the 90's, but Farley's drug overdose put a stop to that.  OK, so they weren't exactly Laurel and Hardy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Sadistic Stooge

There could be, if actors would stick together.  But it seems that everyone wants to work solo.  One of my favorite "teams" is Mike Myers & Dana Carvey.  They were so funny together.  Those two "Wayne's World" movies are two of my favorite movies.  I think that if Dana Carvey had been in the Austin Powers movies, they would have been a lot better.  Those guys played off each other so well.  As far as that goes, maybe Mike Myers' latest movie "The Love Guru" wouldn't have tanked at the box office if he had Dana Carvey with him.  Those two belong together in movies.  Why can't they understand that?

I was reading some where on the net that Mike Myers & Dana Carvey could not stand each other , that could of been why .

Offline archiezappa

Chris Farley and David Spade were a team in the 90's, but Farley's drug overdose put a stop to that.  OK, so they weren't exactly Laurel and Hardy.

But they were funny.  They proved that comedy teams can still happen.  And very successfully, too.  I enjoyed their movies very much.  It just goes to show you that comedy teams can work well in modern times.

As for the Mike Myers/Dana Carvey thing...I had no idea that they hated each other.  Why can't people just get along?  Ah, well.  I still have my Wayne's World movies on DVD and I still love them.  You would think that they could put aside their personal differences to make better movies (and better money). 

I guess the same advice could be given to The Monkees.  They were also a comedy group.  A good one, too.

xraffle

As for the Mike Myers/Dana Carvey thing...I had no idea that they hated each other.  Why can't people just get along?  Ah, well.  I still have my Wayne's World movies on DVD and I still love them.  You would think that they could put aside their personal differences to make better movies (and better money). 

I had no idea either. I have the Wayne's World movies on DVD as well. They're awesome. I think they would've made a great comedy team though. Too bad they didn't get along.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

oh yeah Wayne's World movies , I love Them ! I wish They would make one more to show where they are at now and what there doing . I think that would work if it was written right .

Offline archiezappa

oh yeah Wayne's World movies , I love Them ! I wish They would make one more to show where they are at now and what there doing . I think that would work if it was written right .

They should have done something like that already.  I had always hoped that Wayne's World would be a trilogy.  It certainly deserved to be.  I can't think of any movies that either Dana Carvey or Mike Myers have done that's better than Wayne's World.  Austin Powers can be funny, but not nearly as funny as Wayne's World.  I can't even think of any Dana Carvey movies.  He used to be so popular. 

I wonder what Dana or Mike would say if they read this thread.

Offline Double Crosser

I consider some of these pairs "teams."  I love 'em all.

Mel Brooks - Carl Reiner.
Dan Aykroyd - John Belushi
Gene Wilder - Richard Pryor

Offline archiezappa

Mel Brooks & Carl Reiner were good together.  So were Mel Brooks & Harvey Korman.  They were so funny together in "Blazing Saddles."  They should have made more movies together.

pieintheface

Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels from Dumb and Dumber worked really well together in that film.  They should have appeared together again in Dumb and Dumber:  When Harry Met Lloyd.

Offline Hammond Eggar

A recent pairing that may well be on it's way to becoming a team is that of Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly.  They seem to have a real chemistry with each other, as demonstrated in "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby."  They just released their latest film, titled "Step Brothers."  I hesitate to call them an actual team, but if they keep working together in various films, that may change. :-\
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline archiezappa

A recent pairing that may well be on it's way to becoming a team is that of Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly.  They seem to have a real chemistry with each other, as demonstrated in "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby."  They just released their latest film, titled "Step Brothers."  I hesitate to call them an actual team, but if they keep working together in various films, that may change. :-\

Yes!  I loved Talladega Nights.  In fact, some people at work call me "Shake 'N' Bake," since they say that I look a lot like John C. Reilly.  Check out my website and see if you think I look like him.

Offline FineBari3

Yes!  I loved Talladega Nights.  In fact, some people at work call me "Shake 'N' Bake," since they say that I look a lot like John C. Reilly.  Check out my website and see if you think I look like him.

Naaaa. You look like Carey Elwes! (The Princess Bride, Glory, Robin Hood: Men In Tights)
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline archiezappa

Naaaa. You look like Carey Elwes! (The Princess Bride, Glory, Robin Hood: Men In Tights)

Maybe I could make money as his stunt double.

Offline Single-O

Yeah, you kinda look like Reilly!  HAHAHAHAHAH, terrific!

Offline archiezappa

Yeah, you kinda look like Reilly!  HAHAHAHAHAH, terrific!

Shake 'n' bake, baby!!!   :D

Offline DocWatson

One of my favorite comedy teams of the late 70s-80s was Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor... Even though their friendship dissolved after Stir Crazy.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
One of my favorite comedy teams of the late 70s-80s was Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor.

Blucher!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline locoboymakesgood

Cloris Leechman was just on the Bob Saget Roast. My GOD that was hysterical.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... the Bob Saget Roast. My GOD that was hysterical.

And, extremely edited.  You want unedited?...

I recommend THE ARISTOCRATS... Saget at his best (or worst, depending on your POV).

THE ARISTOCRATS (2005) was recommended to me by Gary Owens and Chuck McCann, who both appear in this DVD documentary.  I bought it... I was shocked... I was almost offended... and I laughed my ass off!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Yeah I really enjoyed that.

Comedy Central will air it uncut as part of the Secret Stash sometime, and eventually release a DVD. I'll definitely revisit it then.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

AmalgamatedMoron

One of my favorite comedy teams of the late 70s-80s was Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor... Even though their friendship dissolved after Stir Crazy.

I didn't know that their "friendship dissolved".  It must not have lasted because they did Silver Streak in 76', and Stir Crazy in 80'.  But then reunited for 1989's See No Evil, Hear No Evil.  Then again in 91' to co-star in Another You.  I always loved the two of them together, especially in Stir Crazy.  I don't care what anyone says, that's a damn funny movie, a classic.

Offline DocWatson

Yeah... They started out as friends, and it dissolved during Stir Crazy... It's all in Wilder's book "Kiss Me Like A Stranger".

Offline FineBari3

Blucher!

Mmmmeeeeeehhhhheeeehehehehehehehe!

(That's supposed to be a horse!)

Great picture, Brent! I just love Gene Wilder! He seems like such a nice guy.....
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson