Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Anyone remember this song?

Offline falsealarms

Nick Lowe - Cruel To Be Kind .... 1979

[youtube=425,350]-JJ7oGHwMTI[/youtube]

It doesn't really sound like a song from 1979. Sounds a lot more recent. I heard it today - for the first time - and was very impressed.

Offline RICO987

Yes, I was able to see him live a number of times with a group called "Rockpile" in the late 1970s-early 1980s.  Lowe and fellow rockpile bandmate, Dave Edmunds, had a handfull of hits in the same period.  Billy Bremner was the other guitarist and Terry Williams was on drums.  If you like Cruel to be Kind, you will probaly like most of the other songs on the album it came from, "Labor of Lust".  Huey Lewis and Elvis Costello guest on one track each.  You ought to give it a listen.

Offline curlysdame

Oh man, I completely forgot about this song!  Love it! [cool]  My music files got wiped out not too long ago, and this was one that I lost (I've been trying to build it back up).  This is definitely going on my mp3 player.  Thanks for posting it!
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline Double Deal Decker

I remember the song. Don't know what ever became of Nick Lowe, though.

Offline FineBari3

Oh, sure! I remember this song!

I absolutely LOVE that era in pop music, because disco was really not 'in' anymore, and there were some very good other styles of music going on. These would be the years 1978-1982, I think. I have no idea why I picked those exact years. I was only 8 in 1978, but paid attention to whatever music was played on the radio.

Punk was coming in (this is the US I'm talking about here), and some really good country stuff was even out there that got played on mainstream AM radio. This was also the first time I ever heard of rap music, or whatever it was called back then. Sugarhill Gang and all that. My brother always had cool soul and r&b records around.

The rock groups I am talking about all have a similar sound, too. I think of The Knack, Blondie (sans-disco), Nick Lowe, Rick Springfield, and lots of other guys that wore pleated pants and skinny ties.  Several one-hit-wonders here that I cannot remember now.

VH1 Classic used to show that Cruel to Be Kind video a lot. It was a very good example of early 1890's video style, shot on film, much like that Dr. Howard video that was posted here.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline archiezappa

VH1 Classic used to show that Cruel to Be Kind video a lot. It was a very good example of early 1890's video style, shot on film, much like that Dr. Howard video that was posted here.

1890's?  So, I'm guessing it was sort of like those old Thomas Edison films? 

(I know what you meant, but I couldn't help making a joke about it.)   ;D

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Oh, sure! I remember this song!

I absolutely LOVE that era in pop music, because disco was really not 'in' anymore, and there were some very good other styles of music going on. These would be the years 1978-1982, I think. I have no idea why I picked those exact years. I was only 8 in 1978, but paid attention to whatever music was played on the radio.

Punk was coming in (this is the US I'm talking about here), and some really good country stuff was even out there that got played on mainstream AM radio. This was also the first time I ever heard of rap music, or whatever it was called back then. Sugarhill Gang and all that. My brother always had cool soul and r&b records around.

The rock groups I am talking about all have a similar sound, too. I think of The Knack, Blondie (sans-disco), Nick Lowe, Rick Springfield, and lots of other guys that wore pleated pants and skinny ties.  Several one-hit-wonders here that I cannot remember now.

Rapper's Delight?

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/rappersdelightlyrics.html

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

stooged and confused

One of my favorite pop hits from that era...just had it come up on my ipod when I was jogging the other day! The Rockpile stuff is very good ("Teacher, Teacher" was a mild hit)..I remember I have the vinyl LP of it (still do, actually) and it had a bonus EP disc included where they covered some Everly Brothers songs! Nick Lowe produced the early Elvis Costello and the Attractions albums.

Offline FineBari3

1890's?  So, I'm guessing it was sort of like those old Thomas Edison films? 

(I know what you meant, but I couldn't help making a joke about it.)   ;D

BITE ME!

[doh]
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline FineBari3

Okay.  I apologize.  Just give me one of these.   [pie]

Oh, no need to apologize!

I'm just being silly!  [flower]
Mar-Jean Zamperini