Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 3 Stooges in popular music

Offline Hammond Eggar

We are all familiar with the Billboard Top 20 hit, "The Curly Shuffle" by the Jump 'n' the Saddle Band.  There are at least two more musical tributes to the Stooges that come to mind.

"Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard" - Carl Perkins and NRBQ
(from "Boppin' the Blues," 1970; also on "Stay with Me: The Best of NRBQ," 1993)

"Dr. Howard" - The Finders
As far as I know, this song has only be issued as a 45.

Is anybody aware of any other musical tributes to the Three Stooges?  I'd love to track some of these down.  Perhaps Dunrobin should consider creating a special list for these Stooge-inspired songs.  Hmm. . .just a thought. :-\
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Just for Hammond's personal delight, here are the two tunes he mentions:

[attachment deleted by admin]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Thanks, Giff! ;)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline archiezappa

Another musical tribute is the song "Two Reelers" by Frank Black.  It's the story of The Three Stooges in one song.  I like it pretty well.

Offline Double Deal Decker

The group "Barenaked Ladies" have a song in which they mention the Stooges. I don't know the title, though.

Offline Hammond Eggar

I just remembered another song that references the Stooges.

"Hairstyles and Attitudes" - Timbuk 3

Yes, this is the same band that gave us "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades."  Both songs appear on the 1986 LP, "Greetings from Timbuk 3."  Here are the lyrics that mention the Stooges.

Scientists say your hair never lies
I've done lots of research
It may be just hype, but the latest findings cause me to tremble
Categorize us into three basic types
According to which of the Three Stooges you most closely resemble

Plus, Ray Stevens references the Stooges in his own composition, "The Haircut Song."  The track can be found on the 1986 MCA album, "I Have Returned," as well as various compilations.  Here are the Stooge-related lyrics from this little ditty.

When you get a haircut, be sure to go back home
When you get a haircut, get a barber you have known
Since you were a little bitty boy sittin' in a booster chair
Or you might look like Larry, Moe or Curly if a stranger cuts your hair

Offline FineBari3

There is a song on the Meat Loaf Bat Out of Hell II, called 'Everything Louder Than Everything Else'.  The lyric is something like "The men I admire most are Larry, Curly, Moe".

Great topic! I am glad somebody has started it!

[thumbsup]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline archiezappa

Here are the lyrics to "Two Reelers" by Frank Black.  It's on his album "Teenager Of The Year."

A lot of people love that Jerome
Did you know he missed his comb?
All his life was in pain
Made us laugh he never did complain
Brother Sam was more than OK
Returned once more to save the day
Slicked-back hair he did keep
Making a heep, heep, heep, heep, heep

If all you see is violence
Then I make a plea in their defence
Don't you know they speak vaudevillian?
And for what it is hear what my theory is
Some gibberish it is so serious
What we need is more silly men

Though underrated all the time
Louis was so very fine
Without him, imagine
Did you know he could play the violin?
Most important was brother Moe
He was the one who made it so
He got a Joe and another Joe
He would not quit, he would not quit

And Mr. White heard bad report
And so it ends the two reeler short
Cause you cannot do what you can't
And Mr. White heard bad report
And so it ends the two reeler short
Cause you cannot do what you can't

If all you see is violence
Then I make a plea in their defence
Don't you know they speak vaudevillian? 

Offline Hammond Eggar

Thanks for posting those lyrics, Archiezappa.  Now I really want to hear that song. 

As for FineBari3, here are the Stooge-related lyrics from Meat Loaf's "Everything Louder Than Everything Else."

If you want my views of history
Then theres something you should know
The three men I admire most
Are Curly, Larry, Moe. . .

Thanks for mentioning this title.  I was totally unaware of it.  With the Stooges' forty years in show business, and rock 'n' roll now 50+ years old, I've got to think that there are some songs we're forgetting.  Let's all put our heads together. (KLONK!) [stooges]

Offline locoboymakesgood

I always thought the song New Age Girl by Dead Eye Dick from the Dumb & Dumber soundtrack had in the chorus "Larry Moe, Larry Moe, Larry Moe..."

I found out last year it was Mary-Lou or something like that. For 14 years I thought they were talking about the Stooges. Man did my face turn red.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline curlysdame

I always thought the song New Age Girl by Dead Eye Dick from the Dumb & Dumber soundtrack had in the chorus "Larry Moe, Larry Moe, Larry Moe..."

I found out last year it was Mary-Lou or something like that. For 14 years I thought they were talking about the Stooges. Man did my face turn red.

Ah, Dumb and Dumber.  One of my favorites.  LoL, I know the song you're talking about locoboy.  I always thought that song was called "Mary Bo" for some reason.  I guess I heard stuff differently as a kid.   :D

Hehe, I can hella see how that would sound like 'Larry Moe.'  It'll probably get stuck in my head next time I hear that song
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)