Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Con Men in "Cash and Carry" and "Playing the Ponies"

Offline Justin T

I've been watching some shorts from the new Volume 2 Collection DVD tonight and I just watched two of my favorite
shorts "Cash and Carry" and "Playing the Ponies" back to back and I noticed something I haven't before.

The Con Men in both shorts are played by the same actors! I've never noticed this before in all the years i've
been a Stooge fan, maybe its because I haven't watched either short in quite awhile before the new DVD set
came out. But I was kinda surprised.

Anyone have any idea why they used the same actors in both shorts?  I wonder if that was intentional or not,
like some recurring gag or something.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

Aren't those shorts back to back or close to it?  Probably no artistic reason, I just imagine they were both under contract in 1937 and happened to be available.  I'd have to look these guys up to see what kind of tenure they had, but a lot of short term players tend to appear in shorts that are made close together.
- Doug Sarnecky

ThumpTheShoes

Reminds me of the famous Vernon Dent sentiment:

"I know I've seen those guys before, but I just can't place them!"

Offline Justin T

Aren't those shorts back to back or close to it?  Probably no artistic reason, I just imagine they were both under contract in 1937 and happened to be available.  I'd have to look these guys up to see what kind of tenure they had, but a lot of short term players tend to appear in shorts that are made close together.

Yeah, both shorts were released one after the other that year. Maybe they decided to have them play basicly the same roles again in "Ponies"
since they did a good job with it in "Cash and Carry"?
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Double Deal Decker

Lew Davis, the thin crook w/a moustache, played in quite a few shorts in various bit parts over the boys career. The other "crooks" name might be John Ince or Lester Dorr, buy I'm not 100% sure on that. I think that "Cash And Carry" and "Playing The Ponies" were the only two shorts he appeared in. Anybody remember him appearing in any others?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Lew Davis, the thin crook w/a moustache, played in quite a few shorts in various bit parts over the boys career. The other "crooks" name might be John Ince or Lester Dorr, buy I'm not 100% sure on that. I think that "Cash And Carry" and "Playing The Ponies" were the only two shorts he appeared in. Anybody remember him appearing in any others?

The con men were Lew Davis and Nick Copeland; John Ince was the Treasury Captain of the Guard, and Lester Dorr played FDR's secretary...
CASH AND CARRY (1937) filmography page, with cast details

Each supporting player is listed in this site's Cast database, with cross-links to the filmography page for each of the Stooge films they appeared in...
Lew Davis
Nick Copeland
Lester Dorr
John Ince

Offline Double Deal Decker

Thanks for clarifying. I was unaware that this site's data base contained such detailed information.