Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Flat Foot Stooges

Offline archiezappa

Am I missing something?  Is Flat Foot Stooges out of sequence on Vol. 2 or is the order of the films release date wrong in The Three Stooges Scrapbook?  Just wondering.  It kinda took me by surprise. 

xraffle

This subject was already discussed in this thread. We've concluded that the Volume 2 set has placed the shorts in the correct order. See the thread for more information.

Offline archiezappa

I missed that part of that thread, apparently.  That really clears that up for me.  Thanks.

I guess I deserve this for not paying closer attention.  [pie]

xraffle

I guess I deserve this for not paying closer attention.  [pie]

I know. Why, I oughtta moida you! ;D

Offline archiezappa

Offline metaldams

Hate to be negative, but viewing this short on the new DVD recently, this may be my least favorite healthy Curly short.  Other than Larry forgetting to turn off the alarm, I found most of the laughs contrived and the whole subplot a total bore with zero sympathetic characters.  The whole scene where the firemen are trying to get to the burning building would've worked better with some actual stunt based physical comedy Keaton styled (or in Stooge terms, think the barrel scene in THREE LITTLE BEERS), and makes me think a Sennett pro like Del Lord would've directed the scene better than Charley Chase.  As the scene stands now, nothing of interest happens.

I like Chase both as a comedian and director, but the quality those six shorts he directed for The Three Stooges go from genius to turkey more so than any other Stooge director.  Hmmm, perhaps an interesting thread to start when I'm not typing at 11:30 PM.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

The main problem that I've always had with this short is watching it after "False Alarms."  In "False Alarms," the Stooges are firemen at a fire station that uses regular fire engines and such.  Then, a couple of years later, here they are in "Flat Foot Stooges."  And their using horse-drawn fire engines.  To me, this makes no sense.  They could have had the Stooges as firemen again, but with a different (better?) script. 

I don't mean to be negative, either.  The best parts of the episode are basically everything except for the scene where they're trying to get to the fire and prop up the carriage with a wood board.  I always thought that was kinda weird.

Offline Justin T

I have to agree with both of you, "Flat Foot Stooges" is one of the weakest Curly shorts before we
get to the sick Curly era. What's the point in having them be firemen again when already had
"False Alarms" and it was soo much funnier than this. Just not alot of laughes here.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline archiezappa

And if they wanted to get the Stooges into a sauna with a couple of horses, why not have them working on a ranch or something.  There are so many ways this episode could have been improved.

xraffle

I've always thought this short was weak. The beginning was actually pretty good, but from sauna scene and on, the short gets pretty boring.

stoogeophile

I never understood why the Stooges (in the very last scene) try to get out of the hole, scared at what? May be Dick Curtis' character is returning, but is not seen at all. Anybody knows?

Offline Double Deal Decker

Doesn't Curly say, ( referring to the character Dick Curtis is playing),.."Hey,..look, he's comin' back!!", just as the short ends/fades out?