Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

George Carlin dead at 71

Offline falsealarms

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080623/us_nm/carlin_dc

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday, a spokesman said. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart problems, died at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT (9 p.m. EDT) after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material, Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine about seven dirty words you could not say on television. A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of his "Filthy Words" routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

A classic skit ..... language warning....

[youtube=425,350]BTyzTJTNhNk[/youtube]

Offline curlysdame

OMG, I just saw that article on yahoo news.  I couldn't believe it; I'm genuinely sad right now   :( :(  He was one of all time favorite comics.  This is sad day for comedy, my friends...

"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Despite his being 71 this comes as a surprise to me as he just did an HBO special recently. Carlin is my all time favorite stand-up comic. Since he was a fellow atheist it would be insulting for anyone to bring some religious inspired farewell to this thread, so out of respect to the departed I will ask the religious among us to keep it secular.

May the maggots feast on your corpse, George.

:(
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline curlysdame

this comes as a surprise to me as he just did an HBO special recently.

That's right!  I remember hearing something about that.  What's the name of it?

May the maggots feast on your corpse, George.

...Touching. :P  And yet, a blunt reminder of our mortality   :-\
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That's right!  I remember hearing something about that.  What's the name of it?

It's Bad For Ya (it was just as awesome as his other specials).
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline curlysdame

Great!  I'll have to find a copy.  Thanks Jim... 

Offline FineBari3

RIP, George!

Damn, he was funny! Especially his 70's stuff. His facial expressions were fantastic.

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
OH...MY...FUCKING...GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I first saw this on the new posts section of the board and hoped that it was some sort of sick joke...apparently not.   [cry]

George Carlin was one of the few icons/heroes that I had growing up, and even though his routine changed a bit at the later years of his stand up, I still liked him.

My first HBO special that I saw of his was "Playing With Your Head".  I was 13.  Ever since that night, I feel as if I changed in some way.  Probably not for the better, since I would use the word "Fuck" like a comma from my teens all the way into present day.  I have seen every special that he did, as well as read all of his books.  I don't remember the name of his short lived TV series that he was in, but I even watched that.  [cool]

George Carlin was a very funny and smart man.  It takes some intelligence to do his type of jokes, and to make them funny for the audience is also hard.  I will remember this day forever.

A great man left this Earth, and he will be missed by many.   [cry]

Shitty way to start my day.   >:D

To try and make the day a little better, I had made this wallpaper with my DVD of "Playing With Your Head" (hard to find on DVD).  It lists my favorite joke from the special.  Enjoy.

George Carlin about Golf
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The name of the show was simple The George Carlin Show, and it ended way too soon.

http://nakedgord.blogspot.com/2006/12/bevy-of-george-carlin-show.html

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Damn It ,  Who else Is Going To Die This Year !!!!!! 

Offline metaldams

Shit, what a shame he had to go.  What a funny motherfucker he was.  He didn't give a fuck what all the cunts and cocksuckers thought and had no problems taking the piss out of the humorless.  May his head be buried in a pair of DD tits for eternity unless he's with Jesus, then I hope he has all the space in the world to store his stuff.

R.I.P. George.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Great Clip! Thanks...I needed that. It's lifted me out of my day-long depression.

I remember Carlin as long as I've remembered the Stooges. I yanked my dad's album of Occupation: Foole and used to sneak it on the turntable and put my ear up to the speaker. The last thing I heard was the Complaints and Grievances CD. The "Guys Named Todd" routine is one of the funnies things he ever did.

To paraphrase Carlin, who says you can't take anything with you when you die? You can even put stuff in your pockets.

Offline Hammond Eggar

This is truely sad news, indeed.  George Carlin was one of the brightest, most-intelligent and thought-provoking comics ever.  I love his observatons on life, especially his disection of our vocabulary.  He was edgy and full of attitude, and he was one-of-a-kind.  His will be HUGE shoes to fill.  I've always appreciated artists who are willing to push the envelope and take risks with their art.  George Carlin was fearless and unafraid to speak out about real subjects.  Best of all, he did it while making us laugh, as well.  We live in a world without John Lennon and Frank Zappa.  We live in a world without Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, John Belushi and Andy Kaufman.  And now, unfortunately, we add George Carlin's name to that list.  First Dick Martin, then Harvey Korman and now Carlin.  Comedy sure has taken a hit this past month. [cry]

In 1972, when John Lennon and Yoko Ono were serving as guest co-hosts of "The Mike Douglas Show," Carlin appeared as a guest.  Here is that appearance. [cool]

PART 1
[youtube=425,350]yDQt5L4Ktt0[/youtube]

PART 2
[youtube=425,350]cxQiWMar2Sk&feature=related[/youtube]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 08:18:22 PM by Hammond Eggar »
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Double Deal Decker

A HUGE LOSS !! He was truly gifted. His love of language and keen observations regarding everyday life will be missed.

Offline Dr. Belch

Although in most respects a flaming liberal, he skewered everybody equally--right, left, black, white, gay, straight, Christian, Jew. His acerbic observations on environmentalism and hippie tree-hugger morons were especially spot-on. I listened to "You Are All Diseased" again shortly after his passing, and I couln't help but wince at the bit near the end where he dared God to strike him dead. Well, I guess now he's found out for sure whether God exists or not. As for me, I believe He exists, but I question His nature.