Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Volume 4 1943 - 1945, October 7 ???

BeAStooge · 44 · 11286

Offline archiezappa

Yes.  They should do two box sets of features.

The Three Stooges Feature Films Collection, Vol. 1:
"The Captain Hates The Sea"
"Start Cheering"
"Time Out For Rhythm"
"My Sister Eileen"
"Rockin' In The Rockies"
"Stop! Look! And Laugh!"

The Three Stooges Feature Films Collection, Vol. 2:
"Have Rocket, Will Travel"
"The Three Stooges Meet Hercules"
"The Three Stooges In Orbit"
"The Three Stooges Go Around The World In A Daze"
"The Outlaws Is Coming!"

And as for the MGM stuff.  They should release this:

Ted Healy & His Stooges Collection:
"Nertsery Rhymes"
"Beer And Pretzels"
"Plane Nuts"
"The Big Idea"
"Roast Beef And Movies"
"Turn Back The Clock"
"Fugitive Lovers"
"Hollywood Party"

Well, I guess they could include "Meet The Baron" and "Dancing Lady," even though they're already available on DVD.  Anyway, this is what I'd like to have.  If they'd just release it.

xraffle

I saw "My Sister Eileen" on TCM. The stooges only appear for a few seconds at the very end. I doubt they'll add that film into a Three Stooges DVD set.

Offline archiezappa

I saw "My Sister Eileen" on TCM. The stooges only appear for a few seconds at the very end. I doubt they'll add that film into a Three Stooges DVD set.

Yes, I've seen the movie, too.  But I figured if I'm gonna dream, I'm gonna dream big.  So, if the Stooges are in it, then I want it in their box set.  I actually like the movie, by the way.

xraffle

Yeah, the movie isn't bad at all. I enjoyed it, so I understand why you would dream. But, the chances of Sony adding that to the Stooge set is very slim. But hey! You never know. Sony has been surprising a lot lately with their effort on the stooges. So, maybe they will add it. We'll just have to wait and see.

Offline Justin T

I have to agree with X, it would be nice but since its only a cameo I cant see them putting
it in a box set like that, Maybe put their cameo in as a special bonus feature instead.

Captain, Cheering, Rhythm, Rockies and Stop, Look would all be great to have on DVD.
I havent seen Captain or Start Cheering but I've seen their scenes from those movies on
YouTube. I'm glad I have copies of Time Out and Rockies on DVDR for now.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline locoboymakesgood

I can't see them doing it.. maybe as an individual release, but it's fun to wish!
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline luke795

Is Hollywood Party a Three Stooges film or a Laurel & Hardy film?

Offline locoboymakesgood

Neither.

Both teams along with TONS of other classic stars from that era are featured in it.

Offline archiezappa

Yeah, their cameo in "My Sister Eileen" is very short.  I wonder which is shorter: their cameo in "My Sister Eileen" or their cameo in "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"?

Offline FineBari3

Yeah, their cameo in "My Sister Eileen" is very short.  I wonder which is shorter: their cameo in "My Sister Eileen" or their cameo in "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"?

Both cameos also appeared right at the end of the film!

My Sister Eileen was an OK film, but I couldn't believe how short their cameo was!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Hammond Eggar

Both cameos also appeared right at the end of the film!

My Sister Eileen was an OK film, but I couldn't believe how short their cameo was!

Actually, the 5-second cameo in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" came at, roughly, half-way through the film, not at the end.  There were firemen seen towards the end of the film, but none of them are portrayed  by the Stooges.  This may be a common mistake.  I've had a discussion or two in the past with my dad in which he indicated that he was thinking the Stooges appeared later in the film, as well. [cool]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Actually, the 5-second cameo in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" came at, roughly, half-way through the film, not at the end.  There were firemen seen towards the end of the film, but none of them are portrayed  by the Stooges.  This may be a common mistake.  I've had a discussion or two in the past with my dad in which he indicated that he was thinking the Stooges appeared later in the film, as well. [cool]

I'm just going from memory, but weren't they supposed to be firemen at the airport where Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett were trying to land the plane?  As you said, that would have been just a little past half way through the movie, IIRC.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I'm just going from memory, but weren't they supposed to be firemen at the airport where Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett were trying to land the plane?  As you said, that would have been just a little past half way through the movie, IIRC.
I haven't seen the movie in a couple of years, but you're right.

Offline FineBari3

I wonder why the hell I am remembering it at the end? I probably have seen it 3 or 4 times, although it is not one of my favorites!

[fear]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline archiezappa

Maybe that's where Buddy Hackett got the idea that he was going to be one of the Stooges.  He was in the same movie with them, so he must have been considered for a Stooge replacement.  At least, according to him.

Offline Myren

Wow, great news! Slowly I can start putting all my VHS stooge stuff in the closet.
 [3stooges]

Offline ArPharazon

In an earlier post, I mentioned Turner Home Entertainment releasing all the Stooges' MGM films (including the shorts they did for them) in a boxed set. I don't know what the odds of that happening are, but it would be a nice addition to a Stooge fan's collection. Maybe I should e-mail Turner and suggest it to them.

A little off topic.
Sony bought MGM in 2004, and according to this article  http://videoeta.com/news/1757  "receives control of MGM's immense library of 4,100 films".  Did that not include the MGM shorts for some reason?
If it did, we should be bothering Sony to get these remastered & released.  I sent Mike Schlesinger an email just a couple days ago with this question (tracking down who owns the rights to these shorts), I'm hoping to get a reply soon.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Sony bought MGM in 2004, and according to this article  http://videoeta.com/news/1757  "receives control of MGM's immense library of 4,100 films".  Did that not include the MGM shorts for some reason?

MGM/UA does not own the "classic MGM" library.

- 1986, Turner Entertainment bought from MGM/UA...

- The pre-1986 MGM library, the pre-1950s Warner Brothers features and shorts library (which had been purchased by UA in the '50s), the RKO and Monogram/Allied libraries (which were acquired by UA back in the early '60s), most of the AAP cartoon library which consisted of cartoons that UA purchased during the late '50s, e.g., the pre-1948 color Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes, and Paramount's complete Fleischer/Famous "Popeye" filmography.

- 1996, Turner Entertainment was purchased by Time-Warner.

Since 1996, the MGM Healy/Stooges films have been owned and distributed by Warner Brothers... as well as the rest of the "classic MGM" library.

The 2004 MGM/UA and Sony deal is a completely separate matter...

The aforementioned MGM/UA library of 4100 films referred to United Artists, post-1985 MGM, various independent film companies purchased by UA over the years, e.g., Orion Pictures, Polygram, etc., and several television series owned by UA.

Sony was one of a consortium, which bought a 20% stake in MGM/UA. MGM/UA remains a stand-alone corporation, with its own management.

A year after the buy-in, MGM/UA was unhappy with Sony's lack of attention to their film library. MGM/UA partnered with Fox Home Entertainment for DVD distribution. Sony still has an ownership stake in MGM/UA, like any other stockholder, but no longer has a say in how MGM/UA manages its film library.

Offline ArPharazon

^  "Since 1996, the MGM Healy/Stooges films have been owned and distributed by Warner Brothers"

But definitely not owned by Turner anymore, right?
As far as being distributed, the only place I've found any of the shorts (Plane Nuts (also on The Dancing Lady DVD), The Big Idea, Beer & Pretzels, Nertsery Rhymes) are on the 3 Platinum DVDs, along with a couple Shemp solos (Corn On The Cop & His First Flame), Roast Beef & Movies (also on the Dancing Lady DVD) and some animated eps.  The shorts are not of very good quality, but are OK to watch.
Do you know if WB has any intention of remastering & releasing these in a collection, what with the fair success of the new Sony collections?  And does anybody know a contact email for someone at WB who could help us with this?

Thanks for the reply & info.