Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

"Essential" Stooges

Offline AKStoogeFan

I'm sure this will result in various opinions, but I'm curious what people think are the essential films of the Three Stooges.  Outside of the 190 Columbia shorts and the 6 features with Curly-Joe, that is.  I would have to include "Soup to Nuts" and "Kook's Tour" since those mark their first and last films.  I would also probably include "Jerks of All Trades" just because I really enjoy it.  I would add "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" because that brief cameo has stuck with me ever since I first saw it when I was like 5 or 6.  What else?

Offline metaldams

In terms of quality, the only essential films fall within the 1934 - 1952 Columbia run.  After 1952 they made "for fans only" shorts (OK, maybe GOOF ON THE ROOF qualifies as essential).  The Derita features are fun little excursions, but hardly their best stuff.  The Healy's are curios.  KOOK'S TOUR is like watching paint dry and is for historical purposes only. I have a soft spot of SOUP TO NUTS, but then again, I'm a hardcore fan.  Take a few dozen shorts from the 1934 - 1952 run (opinions on those will vary), and you have all the essential Three Stooges films.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Waldo Twitchell

In terms of quality, the only essential films fall within the 1934 - 1952 Columbia run.  After 1952 they made "for fans only" shorts (OK, maybe GOOF ON THE ROOF qualifies as essential).  The Derita features are fun little excursions, but hardly their best stuff.  The Healy's are curios.  KOOK'S TOUR is like watching paint dry and is for historical purposes only. I have a soft spot of SOUP TO NUTS, but then again, I'm a hardcore fan.  Take a few dozen shorts from the 1934 - 1952 run (opinions on those will vary), and you have all the essential Three Stooges films.

Agreed. As for the post-1952 shorts, I would add Tricky Dicks to the essential list. For some reason, I have a special reverence for the handful of Shemp originals they did from '53-'55. I guess it's because they are literally the last films they made that I really liked.

Offline metaldams

Agreed. As for the post-1952 shorts, I would add Tricky Dicks to the essential list. For some reason, I have a special reverence for the handful of Shemp originals they did from '53-'55. I guess it's because they are literally the last films they made that I really liked.

I forgot about TRICKY DICKS, you're right.  Actually, the small amount of originals made from 1953 on, while not 5 star classics, are pretty entertaining in their own right.  Heck, I've grown to like some of the remakes if only because my Stooge viewing is once every few months these days as opposed to every day about 5 - 10 years ago.  Still, I recognize the remakes aren't essential.

Put it to you all this way - if the shorts were never made, how many of us would be watching those Healy MGM shorts or the Derita features?  As great as The Three Stooges are in it, would any of us go out our way to see The Three Stooges in TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM?  The answer is no.  Being a fan who nitpicks on every little detail, (that's me and most of us), sometimes it's best to step back and take a look at the big picture.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Gentlemen:

I would like to insert my two cents worth of information please.  To me I thought these Shemp ones were good. "Fiddlers Three", "Malice In The Palace," and "Who Done It?"  and if solo performances qualify, sirs I thought Shemp was good in "Strickly In The Groove," and "Hellzapoppin'."

Thank you gentlemen and please have yourselves a great weekend.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges] 

Offline Double Deal Decker

I also think "Who Done It" is one of Shemp's best shorts. His,..."Here I am, Moe !!" , only to come face to face w/"the goon" always cracks me up !!! :laugh:

Offline FineBari3

I also think "Who Done It" is one of Shemp's best shorts. His,..."Here I am, Moe !!" , only to come face to face w/"the goon" always cracks me up !!! :laugh:

Yes!

I had made a cassette tape of this and about3 other shorts when I was in 6th grade. I can still recite the dialogue along with the short!

(Too bad I didn't pick up math that well).
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Double Deal Decker

I'm also pretty good at reciting the dialogue from "Who Done It?", as well as most of the other stooge shorts. Funny you shoiuld mention that you made a cassette tape from the short.  I've made half a dozen or so cassette tapes myself w/various shorts on each.  I often listen to one while I'm doing various "life stuff." The audio alone cracks me up just as much as when I'm watching a short.