Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges Collection Vol. III 1940-42

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Here are some interesting links from www.allmovie.com:

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=16:168838
(A good review of Vol. I 1934-1936).

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=16:197440
(This lists the Vol. III street date of August 26, 2008.)

Can anyone verify this?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 10:24:27 PM by BeAStooge »

xraffle

Holy smokes!! Volume 3 is already rumored for an August 26th release date. Wow! Sony must've been happy with the Volume 2 sales.

Here's what we have to look forward to in Volume 3:

1.   You Nazty Spy! (1940)
2.   Rockin' Thru the Rockies (1940)
3.   A Plumbing We Will Go (1940)
4.   Nutty But Nice (1940)
5.   How High Is Up? (1940)
6.   From Nurse To Worse (1940)*
7.   No Census, No Feeling (1940)
8.   Cookoo Cavaliers(1940)*
9.   Boobs In Arms (1940)
10.   So Long Mr. Chumps (1941)*
11.   Dutiful But Dumb (1941)
12.   All The World's A Stooge (1941)
13.   I'll Never Heil Again (1941)
14.   An Ache In Every Stake (1941)
15.   In The Sweet Pie And Pie (1941)
16.   Some More Of Samoa (1941)*
17.   Loco Boy Makes Good (1942)*
18.   Cactus Makes Perfect (1942)
19.   What's The Matador? (1942)*
20.   Matri-Phony (1942)
21.   Three Smart Saps (1942)
22.   Even As I O U (1942)*
23.   Sock-A-Bye Baby (1942)*

*new to DVD

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Holy smokes!! Volume 3 is already rumored for an August 26th release date.

I'll believe it when I see it.   ;)

Unless Sony got smart and the seven months between 1 and 2 was for making Volume 2 and most of 3?

That's only a three month gap between Volumes.  This is a perfect gap, but it seems to good to be true.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

xraffle

Unless Sony got smart and the seven months between 1 and 2 was for making Volume 2 and most of 3?

That's only a three month gap between Volumes.  This is a perfect gap, but it seems to good to be true.

Ah! That's why I said "rumored." ;D
I'll believe it when I see it too. But due to past experience, I won't be surprised if it does turn out to be true. But yes, it sure does seem too good to be true.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=16:197440
(This lists the Vol. III street date of August 26, 2008.)

Can anyone verify this?

VideoETA, a reliable source, has posted the same information. Tentatively, it appears to be accurate scuttlebutt.

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Gentlemen:

Please forgive me for bothering you.  But sirs if I might put in my two cents worth of information.  For only 65$ through Ioffer.com I got the entire 190 Stooges shorts, all of Curly-Joe, Ted Healy, ("Soup To Nuts" and "Jerks Of All Trades" and some home videos).  All in excellent recording status and in black and white.

Sorry for bothering you gentlemen.  Please have yourselves a great weekend.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

xraffle

VideoETA, a reliable source, has posted the same information. Tentatively, it appears to be accurate scuttlebutt.

Good to hear. I'm anxious to get Volume 3 now. I can't wait to see the restoration on So Long Mr. Chumps, All The World's A Stooge, and Even As IOU. So, if Volume 3 is coming out in August, then we should expect Volume 4 to be out by the end of this year (and that will contain "Micro-Phonies" which I'm dying to see a crisp copy of).

Please forgive me for bothering you.  But sirs if I might put in my two cents worth of information.  For only 65$ through Ioffer.com I got the entire 190 Stooges shorts, all of Curly-Joe, Ted Healy, ("Soup To Nuts" and "Jerks Of All Trades" and some home videos).  All in excellent recording status and in black and white.

Sounds like another bootleg, which I already bought quite some time ago. I don't regret getting them yet, but when/if Sony finishes releasing all 190 short, then I'll regret it.

Offline FineBari3

Yeah, that is what I am figuring they did, too!

It makes sense....
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Quote from: xraffle
Sounds like another bootleg, which I already bought quite some time ago. I don't regret getting them yet, but when/if Sony finishes releasing all 190 short, then I'll regret it.

Look at it this way:  I strongly suspect that the successful sales on places like eBay of the bootleg complete sets, all in chronological order, played a strong part in influencing Sony to finally start releasing the new Collection series.  In that case, you played your part in goading them into it.   ;)

Offline locoboymakesgood

Jesus Tap Dancin' Christ.. if this IS accurate, then holy crap. I am without speech.

Are there sales figures for Vol. 2? Did they exceed expectations? That's crazy..
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Darkhoarse820

Yeah well, they'd better speed up the process if they want to squeeze the final Joe Besser short in there before BluRay goes out of production.  On a related, yet unrelated, subject...how are they going to go about the transitions of Curly to Shemp to Joe?  Would they just tack on the sole 1947 title with the 1946 list?  Eh, I guess 1956 works out.  They had four completed when Shemp passed and only had to fill in four to comply with their contract so, I guess that checks out alright.

Rumors are rumors.  I've been waiting for the Season 2 releases of "Adam-12" and "Dragnet" for over three years but, Universal isn't talking.  I DO hope this rumor has some truth to it, though.

Offline falsealarms

Yeah well, they'd better speed up the process if they want to squeeze the final Joe Besser short in there before BluRay goes out of production.  On a related, yet unrelated, subject...how are they going to go about the transitions of Curly to Shemp to Joe?  Would they just tack on the sole 1947 title with the 1946 list?  Eh, I guess 1956 works out.  They had four completed when Shemp passed and only had to fill in four to comply with their contract so, I guess that checks out alright.

Rumors are rumors.  I've been waiting for the Season 2 releases of "Adam-12" and "Dragnet" for over three years but, Universal isn't talking.  I DO hope this rumor has some truth to it, though.

Shout! is releasing season 2 of Adam 12 later this year.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Adam-12-Season-2-News/9730

Offline locoboymakesgood

Now where's Dragnet '67 Season 2..

Offline Darkhoarse820

Best news of the day, thank you!  Of course, my Wife only awakened me five minutes ago but, that'll do.  Is Shout! a DVD distributor of some sort?  It scares me that, even at thirty, I don't know what on Earth I'm talking about.

Of course, as the last poster wrote, what about Dragnet 1968?  I'm not one for internet downloads, by the way.  I want to physically own an official release by a studio, or something to that effect.  

If you're going to have four seasons of Emergency! (with a fifth on the way) and two seasons of Adam-12, why wouldn't its Parent show be released?  This is even more puzzling considering that Dragnet lasted the least amount of seasons out of the three.  Shocking...just, shocking.

Offline archiezappa

I sure hope that release date is true.  This is awesome!  ;D That means that we may have four volumes in our DVD libraries by Christmas, and not just three.  That also means that by Christmas '09, we may have the full set.  I doubt it, but it's a thought.  It would be cool, though.

Offline Darkhoarse820

I sure hope that release date is true.  This is awesome!  ;D That means that we may have four volumes in our DVD libraries by Christmas, and not just three.  That also means that by Christmas '09, we may have the full set.  I doubt it, but it's a thought.  It would be cool, though.

You have to map out exactly what the future sets might look like:

01.  1934-1936
02.  1937-1939
03.  1940-1942

04.  1943-1946 (with one for 1947)

05.  1947-1950 (because of the abbreviated first year with Shemp)
06.  1951-1953
07.  1954-1956

08.  1957-1959

Let's look back.
That's four sets of Curly shorts, three with Shemp and one with Joe Besser.  Christmas 2009 sounds close to accurate in my book but, I'll bank more on mid-2010.

xraffle

Well assuming Sony will make 9 volumes at three volumes per year, this is my prediction:

Vol. 1: 2007
Vol. 2-4: 2008
Vol. 5-7: 2009
Vol. 8-9: 2010

So, I agree with Darkhoarse820 that all sets should be out by mid-2010 when I become an old man. ;D

Offline Darkhoarse820

Well assuming Sony will make 9 volumes at three volumes per year, this is my prediction:

Vol. 1: 2007
Vol. 2-4: 2008
Vol. 5-7: 2009
Vol. 8-9: 2010

So, I agree with Darkhoarse820 that all sets should be out by mid-2010 when I become an old man. ;D

See, I hadn't thought to break it all down like that.  I guess my brain got tired from just thinking how they'd divide the sets up.  You do realized that they won't stop there.  Then, they'll move on to re-releasing the features (1959-1965), the TV shows (Scrapbook, Ed Sullivan appearances and "Jerk of all Trades" and "Kook's Tour").  Next will come the lost interviews that we've already seen and, by that time, it will be 100 years after Joe DeRita joined the team and I'll be 80 years old, wondering when they'll release the shorts in SkyVision format...anyway.

Offline archiezappa

See, I hadn't thought to break it all down like that.  I guess my brain got tired from just thinking how they'd divide the sets up.  You do realized that they won't stop there.  Then, they'll move on to re-releasing the features (1959-1965), the TV shows (Scrapbook, Ed Sullivan appearances and "Jerk of all Trades" and "Kook's Tour").  Next will come the lost interviews that we've already seen and, by that time, it will be 100 years after Joe DeRita joined the team and I'll be 80 years old, wondering when they'll release the shorts in SkyVision format...anyway.

LOL!!!  :D

Offline JekyllHyde

ClassicFlix.com has the set available for preorder at $19.99.

Offline falsealarms

Best news of the day, thank you!  Of course, my Wife only awakened me five minutes ago but, that'll do.  Is Shout! a DVD distributor of some sort?  It scares me that, even at thirty, I don't know what on Earth I'm talking about.

Of course, as the last poster wrote, what about Dragnet 1968?  I'm not one for internet downloads, by the way.  I want to physically own an official release by a studio, or something to that effect. 

If you're going to have four seasons of Emergency! (with a fifth on the way) and two seasons of Adam-12, why wouldn't its Parent show be released?  This is even more puzzling considering that Dragnet lasted the least amount of seasons out of the three.  Shocking...just, shocking.

http://www.shoutfactory.com/index.aspx

There's Shout's page.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Thank you very much.  I'll take a look in a minute.
Shout! specializes in niche shows that no other studio will release. They put out fantastic sets of the Super Mario and Sonic cartoons of the early 90s that were great.

I'm hoping they release the second season of Dragnet '67.. they picked up a lot of Universal licenses.