Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Summer Music - what's some good songs?

Offline falsealarms

With summer on the horizon, lets see some good "summer songs" listed.

Here's a few for me. They seem to sound a lot better this time of year:

Crimson and Clover

Hot Fun In The Summertime

Summer of 69

A Summer Song

Summer In The City

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Let's see ... some more "I'm hot, baby, summer makes me that way" songs ...
and if you want to remain in the area of older tunes ...

[attachment deleted by admin]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline falsealarms

Let's see ... some more "I'm hot, baby, summer makes me that way" songs ...
and if you want to remain in the area of older tunes ...

Good songs there. Yours skew a lot more recent than most of mine. Runnin' Down A Dream is especially good.

Mattie Herring

Well, I'm a kid, so on the last day of school, I'm going to play "What Time Is It?"  from High School Musical 2.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Just thought of another GOOOOOD one ....
(but can't find it at YouTube or in my own library (although if I dig deep enough I'll find I got it somwheres)

Brown-Eyed Girl  Van Morrison
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
James

[attachment deleted by admin]
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline Double Deal Decker

From 1970,...."No Time", by The Guess Who

From 1978,...."Baker Street", by Gerry Rafferty

I'll try to list more as I think of them.

Offline Hammond Eggar

The Beach Boys are an obvious choice.  My top summer pick from them would be "All Summer Long," with runners-up being "Catch a Wave" and "Good Vibrations."  Here are two more selections worth checking out

"Wonderful Summer" by Robin Ward

"Surf City" by Jan and Dean

"New York's a Lonely Town" by the Trade Winds

"Summer" by War

"Beach Baby" by the First Class

"Sister Golden Hair" - America
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Others,....

"Street Fighting Man", Gimme Shelter", "Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones

"Hush", "Smoke On The Water" - Deep Purple

"Sunshine of Your Love" - Cream

"Frankenstein" - The Edgar Winter Group

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" - The Rolling Stones

"Light My Fire", The Doors

"It Don't Come Easy" , Ringo Starr

"A Day In The Life", The Beatles

"Summertime Blues", The Who

Great songs, one and all.

Offline Darkhoarse820

The Beach Boys are an obvious choice.  My top summer pick from them would be "All Summer Long," with runners-up being "Catch a Wave" and "Good Vibrations."  Here are two more selections worth checking out

"Wonderful Summer" by Robin Ward

"Surf City" by Jan and Dean

"New York's a Lonely Town" by the Trade Winds

"Summer" by War

"Beach Baby" by the First Class

"Sister Golden Hair" - America

"The Warmth of the Sun" to couple with "All Summer Long".  Hey, ANY Beach Boys' tune will do, I'm sure. 

"The Boys Are Back In Town", Thin Lizzy

"Magic Carpet Ride", Steppenwolf

"Somebody To Love", Jefferson Airplane

"Paradise By The Dashboard Lights", MeatLoaf

"Here Comes the Sun", George Harrison

I once heard a DJ relate a story after playing "Here Comes the Sun." He had just finished playing it, and a listener called in while the next song was on the air. The listener said the first time he ever heard "Here Comes the Sun", he and his mom were in the car on the way home from the hospital. They were returning home after just having visited his grandfather, who was dying and not expected to live much longer. The listener told the DJ that every time he hears "Here Comes the Sun" he remembers that drive home and thinks of his grandfather.  Touching.

Offline Darkhoarse820

"Here Comes the Sun", George Harrison

I once heard a DJ relate a story after playing "Here Comes the Sun." He had just finished playing it, and a listener called in while the next song was on the air. The listener said the first time he ever heard "Here Comes the Sun", he and his mom were in the car on the way home from the hospital. They were returning home after just having visited his grandfather, who was dying and not expected to live much longer. The listener told the DJ that every time he hears "Here Comes the Sun" he remembers that drive home and thinks of his grandfather.  Touching.

You're going to hate yourself for doing that because you've opened the path to MY story.  It's equally as touching and quite scary, to be honest.  I have to first commend you on calling it a George Harrison song because there aren't that many who do that. 

On November 29, 2001 I was at my local Starbucks, taking shelter from one of Los Angeles' rare rainstorms.  I must have been hiding out there for about four hours when it finally stopped - just stopped.  I said, "OK, this is your chance.  Just go home," so I did.  I had been listening to George's "All Things Must Pass" album on CD and I continued as I went home.  Directly across the street from Starbucks is a Blockbuster store (it's all still there now) and I stopped in front of it to see what the time was on my cell phone.  It was 1.30pm.  As I looked up, the clouds had suddenly parted and this bright ray of sun darted out onto the street directly in front of me, like a lightning bolt had just missed me, or something.  It was just so sharp and so brilliant that I thought it couldn't have been real.  Nevertheless, I uttered the words that would make this moment even more profound later..."Here Comes the Sun."  I looked at the sight for a minute and took it all in.  I was going to remember this moment because it was such a beautiful thing, especially with LA's dirty air quality...you know.

I do, in fact, remember that moment quite well nearly seven years later but, it's not because of the event itself.

The next morning, I awoke to find that George Harrison had passed away, here in Los Angeles, at about 1.30pm the previous afternoon. 
I am NEVER going to forget that.  NEVER!  Every time there is a break in the clouds I'll remember that exact moment in living color, just like it was thirty seconds ago. 

I told you, you'd be sorry... 

WOW !!  That is quite incredible !!!  Must have been "karma" or something.  I'm sure it is something you will never forget.  Moments like that are truly special. Thanks for sharing.

I always thought of "Here Comes the Sun" as more of a George Harrison song than a Beatles song. I really don't know why. I never think of it as being on the Beatle album, "Abby Road." I guess it is because Harrison's touch was so indelibly "stamped" on it.  He never got the credit he deserved as a "Beatle."

Offline metaldams

For the record, ALL THINGS MUST PASS is my favorite Beatles solo album.  I'm also a fan of many rock stars who have passed away, but George Harrison is the first one who I was a fan of as he died (not counting relatively minor contributor's of certain bands I like).

Oh, and you guys think it's refreshing that "Here Comes the Sun" is mentioned as a George Harrison song as opposed to a Beatles song (though technically, it IS a Beatles song)?  When Frank Sinatra sang "Something," he introduced it as his favorite "Lennon and McCartney" composition.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Darkhoarse820

For the record, ALL THINGS MUST PASS is my favorite Beatles solo album.  I'm also a fan of many rock stars who have passed away, but George Harrison is the first one who I was a fan of as he died (not counting relatively minor contributor's of certain bands I like).

Oh, and you guys think it's refreshing that "Here Comes the Sun" is mentioned as a George Harrison song as opposed to a Beatles song (though technically, it IS a Beatles song)?  When Frank Sinatra sang "Something," he introduced it as his favorite "Lennon and McCartney" composition.

ATMP is my favorite album of all-time.  I've studied it back to front and written twelve years worth of songs based on the sounds and the spirit of all of the songs on that album.  I've still got plenty of ideas forming as I go.  It's as much an influential album now (at 30) as it was when I first heard it at 18 years of age. 

I know.  I always get a kick, knowing that even the Chairman himself could screw up his facts.  What made it better was when he called the song "one of the greatest love songs of the past 50 years".  That was back in 1971, when he did his own version.  It's a good version, too, not to take away from the original recording. 

I think the reason I name the author as the artist, in this case, is because he finally started writing memorable HITS as of his White Album compositions and those are the songs he took into his solo career and he played them happily, seemingly not making the Beatle connection along the way.  It's also my way of saying, "See?  It doesn't have to be written by Lennon or McCartney to be known or, to be a hit."

I love how easily one simple phrase of words can steer the subject away from itself.  We should do this in the other threads, too...

I'll take SUMMER MUSIC for $800, Alex...

Offline metaldams

ATMP is my favorite album of all-time.  I've studied it back to front and written twelve years worth of songs based on the sounds and the spirit of all of the songs on that album.  I've still got plenty of ideas forming as I go.  It's as much an influential album now (at 30) as it was when I first heard it at 18 years of age. 

I know.  I always get a kick, knowing that even the Chairman himself could screw up his facts.  What made it better was when he called the song "one of the greatest love songs of the past 50 years".  That was back in 1971, when he did his own version.  It's a good version, too, not to take away from the original recording. 

I think the reason I name the author as the artist, in this case, is because he finally started writing memorable HITS as of his White Album compositions and those are the songs he took into his solo career and he played them happily, seemingly not making the Beatle connection along the way.  It's also my way of saying, "See?  It doesn't have to be written by Lennon or McCartney to be known or, to be a hit."

I love how easily one simple phrase of words can steer the subject away from itself.  We should do this in the other threads, too...

I'll take SUMMER MUSIC for $800, Alex...

That's cool you write songs, it's a gift I wish I had.  I have no singing voice to speak of, but can play bass pretty well.  Little out of practice, though.

Hey, at least Elvis introduces "Something" as a "song from the Beatles catalog," or something to that effect.  A little bit of an improvement.  What's NOT good is that George's Capitol greatest hits album has more than half of it as Beatles songs.  Talk about a guy whose early solo career is begging for a proper anthology.

George indeed could, at his best, write songs as good as Lennon and McCartney.  Of course, he didn't write as many great songs, but yeah, he was capable of reaching that high quality level.  Interestingly, over the past few years I've listened to his solo stuff more than any other Beatle.  33 1/3 is an underrated album, and I especially love "Beautiful Girl."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Darkhoarse820

Talk about a guy whose early solo career is begging for a proper anthology.

He didn't write as many songs, but yeah, he was capable of reaching that high quality level.  Interestingly, over the past few years I've listened to his solo stuff more than any other Beatle.  33 1/3 is an underrated album, and I especially love "Beautiful Girl."

I omitted the word "great" from your second statement.  He wrote 22 songs as opposed to 87 by John, 73 by Paul and TWO by Ringo.  He is responsible for the "all the lonely people" line in Eleanor Rigby. 

Most of the songs for ATMP had been written prior to the White Album sessions.  He just didn't get his chance to unload them all.  That's why it's such a large album.  He had too many songs laying around.  "Beautiful Girl" was in demo stage before ATMP but was forgotten for six years and finished for 33 & 1/3.  That, for me, is he fourth best effort but, they run so close together in quality, who's to say?

Offline falsealarms

[youtube=425,350]oX30-Hpoz2Q[/youtube]

The Cyrkle, Red Rubber Ball

Offline Darkhoarse820

[youtube=425,350]oX30-Hpoz2Q[/youtube]

The Cyrkle, Red Rubber Ball

I recorded this about a year ago and I got it down nearly perfect.  It's rare for that to happen.  I guess Paul Simon's melodies just fit me well.  If I had been using my brain, I would have chosen this one...

Since I listed "Baker Street", I must've heard it a half dozen times on my car radio. What a coincidence !!! :D