Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Phony Cronies

Offline archiezappa

This is slightly off topic.  I have the new DVD of "Swing Parade."  The one released by Legend Films.  First, I must say that the DVD is very well done.  With lots of special features such as: hilarious rifftrax and comedy shorts.  One of the comedy shorts is "Phony Cronies" which stars El Brendel and Tom Kennedy.  Dudley Dickerson and Monte Collins are also featured.  The film is funny, but there's one thing.  The opening title cards don't say anything about Columbia Pictures.  At first, I thought this was a short that wasn't made at Columbia, but it sure seemed like one.  Then, the closing card has the Columbia Pictures woman there, with all her glory.

So, my question is:  What happened to the original opening title cards?  Why were they changed?   ???

Offline FineBari3

This is slightly off topic.  I have the new DVD of "Swing Parade."  The one released by Legend Films.  First, I must say that the DVD is very well done.  With lots of special features such as: hilarious rifftrax and comedy shorts.  One of the comedy shorts is "Phony Cronies" which stars El Brendel and Tom Kennedy.  Dudley Dickerson and Monte Collins are also featured.  The film is funny, but there's one thing.  The opening title cards don't say anything about Columbia Pictures.  At first, I thought this was a short that wasn't made at Columbia, but it sure seemed like one.  Then, the closing card has the Columbia Pictures woman there, with all her glory.

So, my question is:  What happened to the original opening title cards?  Why were they changed?   ???

Ahhhh....Rich Finegan!!! This is one for you!

(Too bad Verizon is still *&#% you!)

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The opening title cards don't say anything about Columbia Pictures.  At first, I thought this was a short that wasn't made at Columbia, but it sure seemed like one.  Then, the closing card has the Columbia Pictures woman there, with all her glory.

Guild Films was a television syndicator in the early '50s. Columbia sold TV rights (this was pre-Screen Gems) to some of their short subjects to Guild, and Guild added their own opening title sequences.

Legend used an old Guild 16mm print.

Offline archiezappa

Offline 2reelers

Guild Films and C & C Television Corp distributed the RKO shorts of Edgar Kennedy, Leon Errol, The Newlyweds, and others for television broadcast.The Phoney Cronies print used on the Swing Parade disc was an Official Films home movie print. Sold for non-theatrical/non-television use. I have a 16mm print of this film, and the end title makes this disclaimer, so it's obvious that the Columbia "The End" logo was spliced onto the the ending of the print.

In the late 1940's, Columbia licensed a handful of their short-subjects material to Official Films, including "Phoney Cronies" and Brendel's "Yumpin' Yiminy" as well as Charley Chase ("The Wrong Miss Wright" & "Calling All Doctors", Andy Clyde "A Bundle Of Bliss", the first entry of The Glove Slingers series, Tom Kennedy and Johnny Arthur's "Half-Way To Hollywood", and Buster Keaton's "She's Oil Mine" and several of the Columbia "Community Sing" entries.

Now, was Guild Films and Official Films connected??? That I'm not sure of.