Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Why Did Flat Foot Stooges and We Want Our Mummy Get Special Title Cards?

Offline locoboymakesgood

This is one thing that's plagued my mind for ages.

Notice Three Little Sew and Sews was release between the two.. yet all of the other shorts released in this time period have the same color background as Three Little Sew and Sews. What gives?
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

stooged and confused

I know several of the Buster Keaton Columbia shorts had the same lighter background as "Flatfoot" and "Mummy". His had both light and dark backgrounds as well.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I can find "other" anomalies as well. Study the titles you posted ... "Flat Foot Stooges" and "Three Little Sew and Sews" contain co-starring role credits, whereas "We Want Our Mummy" does not. (and there were at least supporting roles in that flick)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

stooged and confused

Offline locoboymakesgood

The co-star thing is interesting, but then why isn't Dick Curtis credited in 'Mummy'? Flat Foot has a featured player mention, where-as Mummy is just a general title card. It still doesn't add up.

Offline locoboymakesgood

A-Ducking They Did was was released after We Want Our Mummy, and Mutts to You was before Flat Foot Stooges.

It's weird for those two shorts Columbia would just do a whole different color scheme. As Stooges pointed out, apparently Buster Keaton shorts from that time period features the yellowish background as well. Interesting.

Offline 2reelers

In addition to the few Buster Keaton shorts that got this "special" treatment, so did the Columbia two-reeler MUTINY ON THE BODY with Smith and Dale. I don't believe any of the Andy Clyde or Charley Chase shorts from this era have that particularly different title card look.

JerryHorwitz

A-Ducking They Did was was released after We Want Our Mummy, and Mutts to You was before Flat Foot Stooges.

It's weird for those two shorts Columbia would just do a whole different color scheme. As Stooges pointed out, apparently Buster Keaton shorts from that time period features the yellowish background as well. Interesting.

In the book "The Complete Three Stooges: The Official Filmography and Three Stooges Companion." by Jon Solomon( http://www.soitenlystooges.com/item.asp?sku=SGBP8&page=1&optin=&banner=) there is a theory on Pg 129 that a few shorts directed by Charley Chase were edited and matted during post production mostly "Flat Foot Stooges" and "Mutts To You" you should read the qoute from this book. I wonder how he came up with this theory? Especially since he does refrence Ted Okuda's "Scrapbook".