Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Shemp

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Don't know if this is true or not, but did Shemp have a small stroke before they starting filming goof on a roof ? ? ? 

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir:(Sadistic Stooge):

Regards to your question sir.  Yes Shemp did have a small stroke before filiming "Goof On A Roof:"

Sorry for bothering you sir.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

xraffle

Dear Sir:(Sadistic Stooge):

Regards to your question sir.  Yes Shemp did have a small stroke before filiming "Goof On A Roof:"

Sorry for bothering you sir.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

You weren't a bother, at least not to me. You were very helpful. I actually had no idea Shemp suffered any strokes. It's the first time I've heard of that. The only thing I heard was about his heart attack he suffered before he died. Thanks for posting that helpful piece of trivia.

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (Sadistic Stooge):

Short but sweet sir.  You are welcome and thank you for being understanding with me.  Like I have said in the past sir I get a bit nervous yet positing here.  Thank you for your support sir.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday sir and your week upcoming.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392
Moron4392@sbcglobal.net [3stooges]

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Thanks for the Info , I was not sure if that was %100 right and could not find any thing about it on this site ..

Thanks Again from Sadistic Stooge  [3stooges]

Offline Fake Shemp

Really? I thought his minor stroke occurred after GOOF ON THE ROOF was shot, because I think he did exceptionally well in that short. I think his first post-stroke short was INCOME TAX SAPPY (recorded sometime in 1953) because he didn't have as much screen time as he typically had.

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (Fake Shemp):

Sir the information that I posted previous regarding to Shemp came from a Three Stooges book called "The Complete Guide On The Three Stooges."  Sir maybe their information is incorrect.  So please forgive me if I may be incorrect.

Sorry for being a menice sir.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

xraffle

Diane,

I did some research and all I found out was that Shemp suffered a mild stroke sometime in 1952, which was a year before Goof on the Roof was released. So, you may be correct.

X

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (Xraffle):

Thank you sir for what I may say confirming my answer.  The information sir was from my kokonut then from my book.  Again sir thank you.
Please sir have yourself a great rest of your week.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [pie]

Offline Fake Shemp

Diane,

I did some research and all I found out was that Shemp suffered a mild stroke sometime in 1952, which was a year before Goof on the Roof was released. So, you may be correct.

X

November of 1952, to be exact.  BUBBLE TROUBLE was shot in October 13, 1952, so GOOF ON THE ROOF, maybe sometime in October so that makes a little sense.

Offline Pat The Stooge

Diane,

X

Shemp Howard's minor stroke occured in November 1952 about three years before his fatal heart attack. Legend has it according to an account by Gertrude in the 1985 biography by Jeff Forrester, Shemp was at home in Northridge,CA playing cards with Al Winston and a couple of friends whe he complained to his wife his head hurt bad. Babe called a  doctor who examined Shemp and gave him an MRI(yes they had them back then)when the results came in several weeks later, The doctor told them that Shemp had suffered minor hemmoraging in his brain. After returning to work with Moe and Larry in early 1953, Jules White begin to use heavy stock footage due to rising production costs and declining movie attendance to mask Shemp's illness. While I can't really confirm wheter this account is found in the "Stooges Cronicles" book, in most of the remakes Shemp looks a bit disoriented and pale. Babe also recalled that at the time of his heart attack on November 22,1955, that Shemp had been prescribed some unknown heart medication.
 Repeatedly furnishing inaccurate or downright false information as fact
 Full ban for multiple accounts (created new account to get around partial ban.)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 12:08:15 PM by Dunrobin »

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir (Fake Shemp):

I just would like to take the time sir and thank you for the more detailed information to my post sir.  I do appreciate your time sir in helping me out.
Have a great rest of the week sir.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra [pie]
Moron4392 [3stooges]

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (Pat The Stooge):

Sir your information is quite detailed and precise.  This sir has helped out greatly and thank you.  Sir please enjoy the rest of your week,  And in closing sir could you please inform me what source of information you got that from?  Because sir I would like to dig into it.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392

PS. Please forgive me sir if I am becoming a majour nusiance.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

I want to thank you all for your help on my question . Thank god that Shemp didn't get as bad as curly when watching him on film ..   

Shemp is still Da Man in my book :)

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (Sadistic Stooge):

Just a quick post to say welcome.  And I do have to agree sir with you.  Shemp rules.  He was and always will be the best of the Stooges.

Have an enjoyable the rest of your week sir and if I do not communicate with you the rest of this week please have a pleasant weekend as well sir.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Shemp Howard's minor stroke occured in November 1952 about three years before his fatal heart attack. Legend has it according to an account by Gertrude in the 1985 biography by Jeff Forrester, Shemp was at home in Northridge,CA playing cards with Al Winston and a couple of friends whe he complained to his wife his head hurt bad. Babe called a  doctor who examined Shemp and gave him an MRI(yes they had them back then)when the results came in several weeks later, The doctor told them that Shemp had suffered minor hemmoraging in his brain. After returning to work with Moe and Larry in early 1953, Jules White begin to use heavy stock footage due to rising production costs and declining movie attendance to mask Shemp's illness. While I can't really confirm wheter this account is found in the "Stooges Cronicles" book, in most of the remakes Shemp looks a bit disoriented and pale. Babe also recalled that at the time of his heart attack on November 22,1955, that Shemp had been prescribed some unknown heart medication.

- Shemp had his small stroke in early 1952
 - Shemp and Babe lived in Toluca Lake
 - The Stooge Chronicles was published in 1981; see Bibliography
 - The stock footage shorts began production in mid-1952.

The aspects of the story relating Shemp's comment to Babe, physical exam, and particularly the unknown medication prescription... these will not be found in Forrester's The Stooge Chronicles, or any other Stooge book for that matter. Exaggeration and fiction; unwarranted and pointless.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Dear Sir: (Pat The Stooge):

Sir your information is quite detailed and precise.  This sir has helped out greatly and thank you.  Sir please enjoy the rest of your week,  And in closing sir could you please inform me what source of information you got that from?  Because sir I would like to dig into it.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392

PS. Please forgive me sir if I am becoming a majour nusiance.

Diane -

I want to make sure that you realize that the alleged information provided by "Pat the Stooge" cannot be trusted.  In this particular case, please see BeAStooge's corrections to Pat's misinformation, above.

- Rob

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (Mr. Dunrobin): [pie]

Just would like to thank you sir for taking the time to send me a post about the correct and incorrect Shemp information that sir was very kind and thoughtful and I truely appreciate it sir.  Please enjoy your upcoming weekend and the rest of your week.  Again sir thank you much appreciated.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

Offline Fake Shemp

Diane -

I want to make sure that you realize that the alleged information provided by "Pat the Stooge" cannot be trusted.  In this particular case, please see BeAStooge's corrections to Pat's misinformation, above.

- Rob

If his minor stroke occurred in EARLY 1952, then why was he acting well in episodes such as BOOTY AND THE BEAST and BUBBLE TROUBLE? Unless he looked a little pale, but that's a different story. I don't want to get very technical here, but in my opinion INCOME TAX SAPPY was the first short in which I notice a change in him, but not as severe a change as Curly. How can early 1952 be more accurate than November 1952? Could it be his worse performance in episodes such as FLING IN THE RING and WHAM-BAM-SLAM are not related to his small stroke and something else, or his heart condition?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
How can early 1952 be more accurate than November 1952?

Howard family records.

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (Fake Shemp): [pie]

Please sir do not 100% quote me on this, but from my knowledge of "Booty and the Beast" and "Bubble Trouble" there was usage of alot of stock footage.  So sir that is maybe why he looked pretty good.  Please sir like I said hope I am not misinforming you.

Thank you sir and please enjoy the rest of your week and have a fun and restful upcoming weekend.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392   [3stooges]

Offline Fake Shemp

No, I'm talking about the new footage in shorts like those, not the stock footage.

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (Fake Shemp):

Please sir I apologize for my misguidance.  Sir thought you ment the entire short.  I hate to be misleading.  Sir I am sure about the new footages.  Again sorry sir.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [pie]

Offline archiezappa

I was wondering.  I don't know where I heard this, but here goes.  Was Shemp's body exhumed and autopsied sometime in the 80's?  I heard that, but I didn't know if it was true or not.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I was wondering.  I don't know where I heard this, but here goes.  Was Shemp's body exhumed and autopsied sometime in the 80's?  I heard that, but I didn't know if it was true or not.

Total bullshit. 

(And yes, I know that tale is on wikipedia... and most of us can guess which jackass put it there.)