Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooges Meeting

Offline curlysdame

Since the 2008 Stooges Meeting is a little more than a month away, I thought it'd be cool to start a thread about it and get the 'opinion of the people.'  So my questions are: what year(s) did you go, and what was your overall opinion of the weekend?  Were there any special guests?  Etc...

...I went for the first time in 2003 and absolutely loved it!!  It was the first time I had ever been around that many Stooge fans before; there were definitely some interesting people there, but they were all very nice and welcoming.  I got to meet Paul Howard, Janie Hanky, Beverly 'Molly the Glamour Girl' Warren, and "Mary, Flo, and Shirley" from Gents Without Cents (can't remember the actresses names offhand).  It was so cool to talk to all of them, after seeing their pictures in Stooge books for so long.  It was fascinating to see Paul's narrated home movies/family slide show, and to hear Janie talk about father.   ...Dave Knight >:( was there, too, but I'm not going to get into it. 

Also got to catch up with friend Joan Maurer, who invited me to sit at her table at the banquet that night.  So there I was, eating dinner with Joan, Paul, Beverly Warren and (jeez, how did I forget) Joe Kubert and his wife.  Of course, I was nervous as hell, but I loved every minute of it!  ...And then, before the auction, this crazy couple did a re-enactment of the "Hold hands, you lovebirds" scene, and then were married by a Moe impersonator.  ...It was quite a day, and easily one of the best weekends ever. 

But I finally get to go back this year ('been too long), so this could possibly be the 'best birthday ever.'  I'm turning 21 at the end of March, and this is my big b.day present to myself.    [woot]
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I regret to say that I have never been to one of the meetings.  My brother and one of his friends managed to attend the 1995 meeting, though.  I was supposed to go with them, but I started a new job just a couple of months before and wasn't able to get the time off.  They had a great time, and I got to sell steel.  (Yippee!)

This year is a no go for me, too, unfortunately.  I am making more money than I have ever made in my life, but in terms of purchasing power I've only just finally edged past what I was making digging ditches in the oil fields of Wyoming back in 1977.  (WTF?!!  Thanks, Federal Reserve!)  I am also the only one in the family who still has a job, so I'm supporting quite a few people these days and am only able to keep my head above water.  Extras like long distance trips are right out.

My thoughts will be with you knuckleheads, though.  Somebody take some video on the meeting and post it on Youtube for the rest of us.   ;)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Quote from: curlysdame
But I finally get to go back this year ('been too long), so this could possibly be the 'best birthday ever.'  I'm turning 21 at the end of March, and this is my big b.day present to myself.

What a great 21st birthday present!  Congrats, and have fun!   [pie]

Offline locoboymakesgood

And here I thought I was the only younger person on the message board.

Oh, a slick chick, eh?  ;D
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline JazzBill

I've never been to a fan club meeting but I did go to Larry Fine's 105th Birthday celebration last fall. I had a good time so I made sure to keep my calender clear for the fan club meeting. I've got my room reserved and I sent away for my buffet reservation today. See you there ! ( 21 you say, I've got a car older than you )
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

There was a time when I was one of the younger ones on these boards, but at the tender age of 29, I'm (gasp) one of the elders, or at least somewhere in the middle.

I don't live too far from the Philadelphia area and it's a damn shame I haven't been able to get to one of these gatherings.  My job situation isn't steady right now, so I'm not doing much traveling (I even passed up an opportunity to go to Fenway this year, where I haven't been since 2000), but man, one of these years, I swear I'll be there, and yeah, I know I say this every year.  It's a shame you can't really run into groups of Stooge fans unless you plan a gathering like this, but such is life.  When I do go, I'm sure I'll have a great time.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

My first meeting was in 2003, and I have been to every one since then, plus October trips for Larry's birthday and a trip out to LA last year.

I have more fun every year, and there are a lot of great and wonderful people there.  I was trying to explain to my mom (who hates the Stooges), that not much conversation is about the Stooges, but about lots of other neat things like classic comedy and TV, horror movies, and even Titanic stuff.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline curlysdame

...Just thought I'd throw this out there.... t-minus 13 days until the Stooges meeting!   [3stooges]      [woot]
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline FineBari3

Less than a week for me!!!!

(I'm going out on Thursday)

[dance]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson