Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The worst Columbia short ever? KIDS WILL BE KIDS (1954) - The Mischief Makers

Offline metaldams

This is directed by Jules White and features THE MISCHIEF MAKERS, a cheap Our Gang knock-off.  I've only heard about this short before and was shocked to find it.  Honestly, I'm just posting these and will watch them after the game tonight, but from what I hear, this is suppoed to be the worst Columbia comedy short ever made!  For the morbidly curious.

PS:  Emil Sitka's in this one.

[youtube=425,350]hS_arSJzn4M[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]IMrliJQ4Ez4[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

I got through half of the first video. I couldn't stomach any more. If it had one of the Stooges supporting cast maybe, but this was a stinker.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline metaldams

I got through half of the first video. I couldn't stomach any more. If it had one of the Stooges supporting cast maybe, but this was a stinker.

Tune into the riveting second half and you will see Emil Sitka.  Sure, he's in a wasted role, but it's him.

If anything positive came of me posting this short, it's that we have a greater understanding of the Columbia Comedy Shorts Department, and a greater appreciation of the Besser horse epics, and no, that's not sarcasm. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Offline locoboymakesgood

I think Columbia had a good shorts department running from what I've seen. Of course, the Stooges are what kept them in business in my opinion, but I enjoy Andy Clyde, Charlie Chase, Shemp solos, and of course Besser and De Rita.

I've NEVER heard of this Our Gang ripoff in all my years as a classic film fan. This was VERY interesting to see! I can't think you enough for posting this metal, I never would have found it otherwise.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline metaldams

I think Columbia had a good shorts department running from what I've seen. Of course, the Stooges are what kept them in business in my opinion, but I enjoy Andy Clyde, Charlie Chase, Shemp solos, and of course Besser and De Rita.

I've NEVER heard of this Our Gang ripoff in all my years as a classic film fan. This was VERY interesting to see! I can't think you enough for posting this metal, I never would have found it otherwise.

Oh, you're welcome.  I did a youtube search under Jules White and this came up amongst other things.  I was surprised because of this short's rarity and reputation.

I have heard of this short before, and fortunately, it's the only one in the series.  This was released in December 1954, and The Little Rascals were starting to become popular on television, so the MISCHIEF MAKERS were made to capitalize.
- Doug Sarnecky

stooged and confused

I actually saw this (not bragging here) years ago and was STUNNED at how awful this short entry was. The worst grade school play is way above par than this mess. It's about as funny as a six foot hole in the ground. OY! Feh!!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That is excruciating to watch from a quality standpoint, yet interesting to watch from both a historical and train wreck standpoint at the same time. Emil's part is brief and hardly worth noting.  You would feel more warmth in a meat locker than you would from those children; each and every one of the kids is a horrible actor.

Jules white was painfully out of touch with children at this point: how they act, talk, dress. The kids speak and act more like children from the 20's or 30's than from the the 50's. Terrible short all around.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown