Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Look at what else is being released on DVD on May 27th!

Offline Hammond Eggar

On May 27th, the same day Sony is issuing the second volume of Stooges shorts, MPI Home Video is releasing The Jackie Gleason Show - Collection 3.  This volume features another batch of the color Honeymooners sketches.  Below is a link to a page from tvshowsondvd.com that has some information on this upcoming DVD offering. ;D

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releases/Jackie-Gleason-Volume-Release/7559

Here's the Amazon page, so you can pre-order this item. (Say, has anyone here seen any of the color sketches?  What's your take? ???)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013LL2U2?tag=tvshowsondvdcom&camp=15041&creative=373501&link_code=as3
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
I bought Volume 1 of this show, had not seen it since the 60s, always loved the beginning with "Live From Miami Beach, It's The Jackie Gleason Show" with the camera skimming over the water towards the hotels.

I enjoyed this first set. The skit with Gleason and Carney aboard the cruise ship toward europe after winning the trip is hilarious.  Only thing is they break  into song on the smallest whim. Well that was the idea but I could do without it. I remember enjoying this when it was on and we watched it every week like Sullivan.

I have the Honeymooners DVD set with the "Classic 39" shows that were actually filmed for rebroadcast and recommend them highly. Many you remember some not as much but you will really laugh. Certainly Classic for sure.

I did not get volume 2 yet, 1 I had trouble finding and ended up buying at a high price DVD store (almost 40 bucks) but I had looked everywhere for it so price was no problem (supply and demand) and I could not wait to see them after so many years. 

I hope a box set will be released which is what I see when all volumes are released on some series and they add extras that piss you off if you bought them one by one.

Robin

Offline archiezappa

Oh yeah!  I love the Honeymooners.  I've never seen any of the color episodes, but every episode I've ever seen was always very funny.  I haven't got any of them on DVD, although I'd like to.  Very good show.

Back in 2004, they unearthed a Jackie Gleason Show episode that had never been rerun and was considered lost.  It was an hour long Honeymooners show.  It was from 1952.  It came on TV Land.  My brother and I watched it.  We actually were flipping through the channels and stumbled upon it by accident.  Extremely hilarious!  Great show.

I read a biography of Jackie Gleason called "How Sweet It Is."  Great reading.  Highly recommended.

xraffle

Yeah, I don't have these color sets because they are rediculously priced. I do have the Classic 39 shows and all the earlier Lost Episodes. Some of the Lost Episodes I have are on DVD and some are on VHS. I was trying to transfer all of my VHS copies to DVD, but it required too much work as there a lot of episodes to transfer.

Offline archiezappa

Do you think all of the lost episodes will make it to DVD?  A collection of all of the Honeymooners shows would be a lot, since it's like 20 years or more.  It would be neat to watch them all in order and see the development of the characters.  Although, I don't know how the other actresses did playing Alice and Trixie.  I always picture Audrey Meadows and Joyce Randolph in those roles.  I never could get used to Pert Kelton.  I don't know about the others, as I've never seen them.  At least not yet.  But Gleason could probably carry the whole show if he was the only original on there.  He was a genius.

xraffle

All the lost episodes (the ones that have Audrey Meadows and Joyce Randolph) are all on DVD, but they're sold in volumes, not in sets. They're about 4 episodes per volume priced at $14.99 each and they're about 20 something volumes. I forgot exactly how many volumes are out. But those are the Lost Episodes I have. I have those and the Classic 39 episodes.

Offline Benno123

Actually not quite all of the lost episodes are available.  There are a few missing skits from the 1950s, including the original Trip to Europe musicals that were performed from February to April 1957.  They are available on the "collectors market," but I would like to see an official release someday!  Perhaps the music rights could be what's holding the originals back?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
has anyone here seen any of the color sketches?  What's your take?

The color sketches of 1966 - 1970 are 1-hour, musical remakes of "Lost Honeymooner" sketches from THE JACKIE GLEASON SHOW (1952 - May 1955. & Sept. 1956 - June 1957) and JACKIE GLEASON'S AMERICAN SCENE (Sept - Oct 1962). To the best of my recollection, they did not remake any of the filmed "Classic 39s" from the 1955 - 1956 season.

A group of "Honeymooner" sketches from Feb - Apr 1957, were the first 1-hour musical sketches (in B&W), and featured the Kramdens and Nortons on a world trip after Ralph wins a cereal slogan contest. These episodes are not syndicated as "Lost Honeymooners," due to their length and musical formats.

Gleason launched his new "Honeymooners" sketches in 1966, by remaking 1957's world trip episodes. Some updates in musical numbers and dialogue, but the main changes were the use of color (videotape), and the cast... Sheila MacRae and Jane Kean replaced Audrey Meadows and Joyce Randolph, who were busy with family in New York, and not willing to make the regular commutes to Miami. Also returning for numerous roles was supporting player George Petrie.

"The Color Honeymooners Volume 1" contains the 1966 world trip episodes. Sheila MacRae begins slow as 'Alice,' trying to find that balance between sarcastic putdowns of Ralph, and still letting the audience know that she loves the man. By the third episode, she made the role her own and comparisons to Audrey Meadows are not necessary. 'Trixie' was always a fairly benign character, so Jane Kean steps into the role easily. Both of the new actresses were musical theatre veterans (and of course, Sheila was married to Gordon MacRae), so the new format of "The Honeymooners" fit their talents well.

"The Color Honeymooners Volume 2" picks up chronologically, with the Kramdens and Nortons back home in Brooklyn. From this point, Gleason began remaking "Lost Honeymooner" episodes as musicals, expanding half-hour sketches to a full hour, with original musical numbers. This remained the basic "Honeymooners" format until THE JACKIE GLEASON SHOW ended its run in 1970. "Volume 3" coming out on May 27, will pick up where "Volume 2" left off.

"Volume 2" is recommended for a great guest-starring bit... Pert Kelton, the original 'Alice' from Gleason's 1952 Dumont Network show, returned as 'Ralph's' mother-in-law.

Note: a couple episodes are missing from Volumes 1 and 2, due to MPI unable to secure some music rights clearances.

Offline Benno123

The 1969-1970 episodes of the Honeymooners were still musical, but they were not remakes of the 50s sketches.  In the season-long story line Ralph and Ed enter a songwriting contest for a major Hollywood film, and the show takes the Kramdens and Nortons across the United States.  If you get the American Life cable channel, the color shows air every Friday evening at 10 and again at midnight.

There are also a few of the short sketches from the 1968-1969 season that run approx 15 mins.  They have not been released to American Life nor to DVD at this time, but hopefully they will be included as bonus on vol. 3 or included on vol. 4.

Offline archiezappa

Way back when I first started watching the Honeymooners (late-night on TBS), I always thought there was just the one season.  Over the years, I've discovered more and more shows and all I can say is wow!  That show was so good.  I just didn't know there were so many episodes.  So many that are not widely shown.  Totally awesome.  I'd like to get them all.  Great stuff!