Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

For all you silent comedy virgins: Sherlock, Jr. (1924) - Buster Keaton

Offline metaldams

I'm a bit dismayed we can't get a silent comedy discussion going on a classic comedy board, so in five parts, you're getting Buster Keaton's classic feature, SHERLOCK, JR.  I gurantee you'll be blown away by the end, as I was when I first saw it.  Arguably the best chase scene in cinema history, only rivaled by Keaton's other chases and a few Harold Lloyd's.  The film that hooked me onto silent comedy.  45 minutes long.

&feature=related

&feature=related

&feature=related

&feature=related

Since you cannot view this at this site for some odd reason, I'm just going to have to post the links.  Parts 1 - 5 are in order.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
My favorite Buster Keaton chase sequence... COPS (1922), the third reel. Excuse the narration... this clip is from Robert Youngson's 1960 retrospective WHEN COMEDY WAS KING.

Highlights include Keaton "hitching" a ride, and the "ladder" sequence... not only great great visual gags, but amazing examples of Buster's physical prowess and dedication to film comedy.

[youtube=425,350]DforvQnEuIU[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

I almost posted COPS instead of SHERLOCK, JR., but went with the latter simply because it was my introduction to Keaton.  Good enough for me, good enough for them, I thought.  Excellent choice, BeAStooge.  Haven't checked youtube for it, but THE GOAT is another great Keaton chase short, and one of my favorites.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

....and interesting how Harry Langdon and not Harold Lloyd gets mentioned in the three great comic characters of the silent era.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Buster Keaton's final project, THE RAILRODDER (1965). Produced in partnership with the Canadian government, it's a 3-reel travelogue that's also a very funny "silent" film (in color for the visual snobs)... and proof that a simple theme and genuine talent can turn a travelogue into an entertaining comedy, with or without sound.

[youtube=425,350]KOSbOU8a_p8[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]TfSTTDpJwzU[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]-I_slVqEM1k[/youtube]

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
....and interesting how Harry Langdon and not Harold Lloyd gets mentioned in the three great comic characters of the silent era.

A function of film licensing rights (for that specific retrospective), not necessarily the producers' opinions.

Offline metaldams

A function of film licensing rights (for that specific retrospective), not necessarily the producers' opinions.

Good point, didn't even think along those lines.  Lloyd did have tight control over his films, as his estate does today.  In the retrospective happy 60's, he released his own.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Oh, and thanks for posting THE RAILRODDER.  Believe it or not, I've never seen it before and found it very enjoyable. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Capt Spalding

Sherlock .. excellent, and the timing for the stunts was superb.  Today, those would have been cut and paste efforts. As a kid, I marveled at The Stooges for the physical comedie they went thru and wonder how they could take it physically,  Today I know they used fake props.

Please continue posting links, and embeds like this. It make my trip here, a pleasure to remember for the day.