Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Shemp Columbia shorts

Offline benjilbum

I just posted 6 Shemp Columbia shorts on You Tube. Some have Christine, Emil Sitka and Vernan Dent in them too.
It's weird watching them because you keep expecting Moe and Larry to walk in the scene.

http://www.youtube.com/user/benjilbum

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Great to see all these Columbia titles after only reading about them for years. The Besser and DeRita shorts are worth checking out for curiosity's sake if nothing else. And great to see all the Shemp shorts.

Thanks for putting these online!

Offline benjilbum

I agree the Besser and DeRita shorts are not so hot, but very valuable for historical reasons. Shemp was SO funny, and did so much solo work that it's great to see him in this context. The wonders of digital technology allows us to finally see all this rare stuff too. My favorite Stooge stock player Christine must have worked just as relentlessly as the boys, because she is in so many films.

Offline FineBari3

I just posted 6 Shemp Columbia shorts on You Tube. Some have Christine, Emil Sitka and Vernan Dent in them too.
It's weird watching them because you keep expecting Moe and Larry to walk in the scene.

http://www.youtube.com/user/benjilbum

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!!

[woot]

I think I have only seen two Columbia Shemp shorts before!!!!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Fake Shemp

Man, I've been looking forward to watching Shemp shorts like these for a long time. Thanks, benji!

Offline Waldo Twitchell

I agree the Besser and DeRita shorts are not so hot, but very valuable for historical reasons. Shemp was SO funny, and did so much solo work that it's great to see him in this context. The wonders of digital technology allows us to finally see all this rare stuff too. My favorite Stooge stock player Christine must have worked just as relentlessly as the boys, because she is in so many films.

I just watched Caught on the Bounce and can only surmise that Besser and Maxine Gates were doing everything they could to inject some life into a lousy script. It seems more evident with these solo efforts that it's not the actors, but poor writing and Jules White's penchant for running gags into the ground. It's been said that White was responsible for some of the BEST and some of the WORST shorts. I'd have to agree with that.

Offline metaldams

Benjibum, you da man!  I've seen some of these, but not all. Great stuff, and since I'm on vacation for the next week and a half, I know I'll be watching this stuff!

By the way, read your profile.  Beatles and Black Sabbath?  Good man.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Benjibum, you da man!  I've seen some of these, but not all. Great stuff, and since I'm on vacation for the next week and a half, I know I'll be watching this stuff!

By the way, read your profile.  Beatles and Black Sabbath?  Good man.

Yeah, man! I was readin' that too!

Kick-ass profile....you'll fit right in....
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline Sadistic Stooge

I was waiting to see if someone was going to put the shemp columbia shorts , thanks soooooo much  [3stooges]

Offline JazzBill

Good job homey ! I always enjoy watching Stooge material that I haven't seen before.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline benjilbum

Glad to hear you guys like the Shemp shorts. I have more rare stuff I'll be posting soon. Stooge fanatics are some of the best people in the world, even if some think we're crazy. But to me, you'd have to be crazy NOT to love the boys!!!
I was at work recently talking to another Stooge-guy, and we were comparing notes and Y'ucking it up. I observed two females there listening to us with a look of bewilderment/disgust on their faces. But what do they know?

Offline FineBari3

Glad to hear you guys like the Shemp shorts. I have more rare stuff I'll be posting soon. Stooge fanatics are some of the best people in the world, even if some think we're crazy. But to me, you'd have to be crazy NOT to love the boys!!!
I was at work recently talking to another Stooge-guy, and we were comparing notes and Y'ucking it up. I observed two females there listening to us with a look of bewilderment/disgust on their faces. But what do they know?

Prepare to  put foot in mouth, benjilbum!  [doh]

Check out the pink female symbol over there by my screen name!

Eh, I'll let it go, this time!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Do you have the clip of Moe in Dr. Death: Seeker of Souls ? I never got to see that one ....

Offline locoboymakesgood

Thanks for posting these..

I actually posted 6 or 7 Shemp Columbia shorts that I had and Sony removed them a few months ago.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir/Mame: (Benjilbum):

First of all I would like to appologize if I am being a nusiance to you.  But I would like to ask you a question please.  You have posted some Shemp on You Tube but is there any other place you can get Shemp Shorts, Flicks, or anything by him?  I have chequed both Amazon and Overstock and they have nothing.  I am not able to get You Tube on my computer.

Again please Sir/Mame thank you for taking the time in reading my post.  I am died in the wool Shemp-a-holic and I cannot find where to get anything by him.

Thank you

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392

P.S. Please have yourself a great week upcoming. [3stooges]

Offline locoboymakesgood

First of all I would like to appologize if I am being a nusiance to you.  But I would like to ask you a question please.  You have posted some Shemp on You Tube but is there any other place you can get Shemp Shorts, Flicks, or anything by him?  I have chequed both Amazon and Overstock and they have nothing.  I am not able to get You Tube on my computer.
Shemp's Columbias have never been released on home video. Only shorts that can be found are 16mm prints from the collector's circuit, which is where these originated. You can't buy these anywhere.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Diane,

If Benjibum has a list of the 82 Youtube links, you can go to www.Zamzar.com and convert them to your favorite video format (.mov, .mp4, etc.) Zamzar will send you an email where you can download the converted file within 24 hours to your PC and save it.

Probably faster would be to do this on a friend's machine that can access Youtube & Zamzar. Then email the Zamzar emails to you for you to download and save on your PC.

Hope this helps.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (locoboymakesgood):

I would really like to thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.  I truely appreciate it.  If you do not mind could I please bother you with one more question?  Can you get anything by Shemp? or is there nothing available?  I know of "Shemp Cocktail" but after the reviews from you "Older to the Stooges World" fans it does not sound like a winner.

Again Sir please forgive me for bothering you but I would when you have time appreciate a reply.

Thankfully yours:

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (Sadistic Stooge):

Please forgive me if I have posted twice to your very kind and helpful response to my question about getting some things by Shemp.  I am not real familiar yet with how things work on the awesome site.  I sent you a respones to my personal message but like I said that was the first time I ever got a reply that way.

And I wanted to be sure that you got the great thank you that you deserve.

Again Sir I chequed that site out and it is truely wonderful.  Thank you so very much.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

Offline locoboymakesgood

I would really like to thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.  I truely appreciate it.  If you do not mind could I please bother you with one more question?  Can you get anything by Shemp? or is there nothing available?  I know of "Shemp Cocktail" but after the reviews from you "Older to the Stooges World" fans it does not sound like a winner.

Again Sir please forgive me for bothering you but I would when you have time appreciate a reply.

Thankfully yours:

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]
Some of Shemp's Viataphone shorts have been released on DVD as well as his one Golden Gloves appearance. I personally don't recommend Shemp Cocktail.

All of Shemp's appearances available on DVD are on the videograpy page here on the site.

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons

Thank you Sir for the prompty and kind response to my post.  I do appreciate the help I am getting in locating to me "THE BEST STOOGE SHEMP".  Thank you again Sir.

Please have a good rest of your week.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

In closing Sir you have thrown the deciding vote for me about "Shemp Cocktail."  Sounds like a total looser. [pie]

xraffle

Some of Shemp's Viataphone shorts have been released on DVD as well as his one Golden Gloves appearance. I personally don't recommend Shemp Cocktail.

All of Shemp's appearances available on DVD are on the videograpy page here on the site.

What exactly is wrong with the Shemp Cocktail DVD? When I told everyone that I was going to pass on this DVD, people were trying to talk me into getting it. What happened? Is it not as good as you expected?

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (xraffle):

Could you sir please inform me what is exactly on the "Shemp Cocktail" collection?  I am twitching pro and con about it.  Thank you sir very much for answering to my reply I do appreciate it.  Like I said I am really hunting for anything about "Shemp."

Thank you again Sir and have yourself a great rest of this week and sorry for bothering you.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

xraffle

Diane: The "Shemp Cocktail" DVD contains the following.

Disc One

Henry the Ache (1934) – Bert Lahr is King Henry in a parody of the then-current Charles Laughton film, with Shemp as one of his lackeys. (17:12)

Knife of the Party (1934) –Shemp is the leader of a different group of Stooges (four instead of three) who have to work at a hotel to pay their bill. (20:00)

Convention Girl (1935) – Sequences from a rare drama starring Rose Hobart, in which Schemp plays a straight role – a small-time hood who resorts to extortion and attempted murder! (10:00)

Private Buckaroo (1942) – Shemp is an Army drill sergeant, Dick Foran is a new recruit, and The Andrews Sisters provide musical accompaniment in this wartime delight. (68:10)

Africa Screams (1949) – Shemp and future Stooge, Joe Besser, provide strong support in this jungle-themed Abbott & Costello classic. (80:00)

Disc Two

Brideless Groom (1947) – Moe and Larry help Shemp get married immediately so he won’t lose out on his inheritance. Hold hands, you lovebirds! (16:35)

Sing a Song of Six Pants (1947) – Shemp, Moe and Larry have "pressing business" in a dry-cleaning store but get mixed up with bank robbers. (16:53)

Malice in the Palace (1949) – Shemp, Moe and Larry are restaurateurs who run off to a faraway land in search of the Rootin Tootin Diamond. (15:42)

Camel Comedy Caravan (1950) – A rare, live kinescope with Shemp, Moe and Larry as TV executives (!) who harass Ed Wynn on his television show. (28:07)

Bonus:

Remembering Shemp - An intimate look at Shemp Howard’s life and career featuring exclusive interviews with Shemp’s daughter-in-law, Geri Howard Greenbaum; Geri’s sister, Diane Silvers; and Shemp’s granddaughter, Jill Howard Ullo. These touching reminiscences are supplemented by rare, never-before-seen home movies, personal photos, and priceless memorabilia. (approx. 45 mins.)

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (xraffle):

I would like to say that I truely appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post.  That was decent of you to take the time and answer me.  After reading what you have posted on "Shemp Cocktail" you have helped me make my deciding decision I am going to get it.  It sounds now to me like a winner and one to have.

Again Sir much obliged and appreciate your help.

Please have yourself the best of the rest of this week.  An appreciated member.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]