Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Top 10 Funniest/Unfunniest Comedians

Offline busybuddy

Who do think are the most and least funny people? Not teams, but individual people from any era. Here are my lists:

Funniest:
Curly Howard
Groucho Marx
Jerry Lewis
Woody Allen
Shemp Howard
Oliver Hardy
W.C. Fields
Stan Laurel
Chico Marx
Moe Howard

Unfunniest:
Adam Sandler
Mike Myers
Robin Williams
Larry The Cable Guy
Bill Murray
Dan Ackroyd
Eddie Murphy
David Spade
Flip Wilson
Chris Rock

I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The two or three people that read my verbal garbage columns are anxiously awaiting my in depth analysis of the lamest comedians today, so I'll hold off until then. I will however comment on your list. It appears as you are very biased to old comedy, which isn't surprising since this is a Three Stooges board, but come on. Your list also includes people on teams (Stooges, Marx Bros., Laurel and Hardy), which I suppose is alright but those three teams cover 70% of your list. You are practically ignoring years of great comedy that has come about since the 1950's. Another nitpick is that Woody Allen is not really a comedian, but a director of comedies. Looking at your list of favorites tells me you are very closed-minded when it comes to comedy.

Your list of "unfunniest" only confirms my suspicions. The oldest comic on your unfunny list is Flip Wilson, who came about in the late 60's-early 70's I believe. The rest of them came about in the 80's, 90's, and today. While I do agree with most of the choices, it seems so..."timecist" (to borrow a term from South Park; if Woody Allen is considered a comedian than Matt Stone and Trey Parker should be as well).

Again I have to come back to your favorites list being loaded with team players. Ignoring the fact that the youngest true comedian on your list is Jerry Lewis (who sucks and blows at the same time), the only comic team actor on your list that stood on his own with great success was Groucho Marx. Shemp had moderate success as a solo, but was vastly overshadowed by Larry and his brothers. I also think that essentially listing a team two or three times is a cheap out when you're talking solo comics. The Stooges, Mrx Bros. and Laurel and Hardy should perhaps be on a list of great comedy teams of all time.

I don't want to sound like I'm picking on you, and perhaps I'm not articulating myself correctly, but your list baffles me.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline busybuddy

I am not biased to only classic comedians, but they are the best. If I had a top twenty five, then I would have included many more people that have come recently, plus I forgot to add Andy Kaufman my list. But besides that, I think most of the comedy post 1975 is absolute garbage. I don't find Caddyshack, early SNL, Animal House, etc. funny, and everything since then (with exceptions) has been filthy, unimaginative garbage, and the people who appear in them are considered "geniuses" for performing bodily functions around a campfire or screwing an apple pie. The people who were there first really are the funniest and a lot of people since are overrated hacks.

Woody Allen was in fact a comedian, getting his start doing stand-up in the early 60's, making his way to film, and starring in such comedy classics as Take The Money and Run, Bananas, Love and Death, and Sleeper before he became more of a filmmaker and began doing more serious films, although he is hilarious in most of the ones he appears in.

And on the subject of team players, I chose funniest people only because it was a more interesting subject than funniest teams because all of the answers would be the same. Besides that, you can have a team with members of unequal funniness. Curly is funnier than Larry for example.

I am entitled to my own opinion, and I am a huge Jerry Lewis fan. Remember, there are people out there who say the Stooges suck and blow too.

I hope I cleared everything up. 

Jimmie Adams

I cannot list a favorite comedian.  I love many so much I can't rank them.  So, in my inimitable way, I will spew the negative and list the ones I don't like:

Walter Heirs
Tom Green
Adam Sandler
Bob Hope
Lucille Ball
Morey Amsterdam
Chevy Chase

I will not state these comedians are bad, because literally hundreds of millions of people alive or dead would disagree with me, its just these folks never made me laugh.  I do not like Jerry Lewis in films, but in his live TV appearances I think he is extremely good.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I may not think of 10 of each off the bat, but here goes (trying to be within S#1's criteria, which is valid.) In no order...

Funniest
Bill Cosby
George Carlin
Tom Mabe http://tommabe.com/about.php
Rodney Carrington
LaWanda Page

[youtube=425,350]qd15iukT1HY[/youtube]

Redd Foxx
Richard Pryor
Jay Leno (what he writes for himself, not the NBC writers)
Dan St. Paul http://www.danstpaul.com/main.html (Follow the links from Audio to First Baseball Game)
Paul Gilmartin http://www.paulgilmartin.com/hear/index.cfm?fuseaction=home&type=3
 (hear comedy/standup/Sister Joan)

Unfunniest
Carrot Top
Jerry Lewis (Solo or w/Martin)Adam Sandler
Mike Myers
David Spade
Flip Wilson

Chris Rock

(4 picks to go!)

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I never said you weren't entitled to your own opinion, and I am also entitled to mine, which is Jerry Lewis sucks and blows. All I did was state my opinion. You can't post a list and not expect criticism for it, especially one as overtly biased and disjointed as yours. For example, I recently wrote a list of the gayest (lamest) things children are into. Within the article I laid down the criteria and explained my choices. You don't explain a single aspect of your choices; all I got from your lists is you really like the three comedy teams and pretty much hate anything that came out in the past half century.

As for Woody Allen, an explanation that  he did stand up previously would have been nice. As for his acting roles, I wonder if he would have been able to handle a role written by someone else (not trying to knock your choice, just thinking out loud). Personally I would place Woody Allen's comedic acting in the same of Dan Whitney: he plays basically the same role (squirrelly neurotic guy, where as Whitney plays a gas-obsessed redneck, both get women that are out of their league), only his character is smarter. The same can be said for the team comedians, but team comedy needs to be viewed in a different light. Comparing Curly Howard to Chris Rock (whom I enjoy, not invalidating your opinion just stating mine) is comparing apples to oranges.

Perhaps I'm in the wrong here and am being too anal-retentive, but the term "comedian" is different than the phrase "funniest people"...which is most likely where my overall confusion from your list comes from. I do believe that I have brought up an interesting topic of debate however, one that can give more life to this thread than the original premise of listing comedians or funny people. I'll leave it up to others to decide, and leave you with a list of my top ten comedians (for the suckiest comics see my upcoming article in the verbal garbage section).

George Carlin - Carlin has been consistently hilarious for 30+ years; his material and act have evolved over time and thus never get stale.  While his movie and television roles have been weak for the most part (with the exception of his sitcom which deserved more viewers than it received), his stand up specials on HBO are top notch.

Richard Pryor - Pryor was one of the most candid and refreshing comics of all time in his prime. Much like Carlin he was a ground breaker and a trailblazer, and nothing was off limits. From the general hypocrisies of the government and society, to his audience and even himself...nothing was off limits.

Howard Stern - Not a comedian in the truest sense of the word, Howard is a more of a satirist, and a very funny, articulate and intelligent one. Sure he can go low-brow with sex and flatulance, but he is also very cerebral, discussing the politics of the day and any major news stories as well. Most people dismiss him as a pervert or a deviant when in reality he is a man who is unafraid to speak his mind, no matter what may be on it. Howard is never vulgar or crass just for the sake of being vulgar or crass: there's always a method and meaning to his madness. He is also a whiz at making stars out of virtual nobodies; I can't think of anyone else who would have been able to make "Baba Booey" a cultural phenomenon, not to mention the assorted nuts in the Wack Pack. On top of all that it was Howard Stern who introduced me to the joys of lesbianism, and for that I'll be forever grateful.

Lenny Bruce - The comedian who paved the way for just about everyone else who came after him, Lenny is another trailblazer like the men ahead of him...only he paid the biggest price. Arrests and beatings abound for a man that dared expose the hypocrisy of the obscenity laws of his day, and managed to do so in an irreverent and intelligent way. Like Stern after him he was never vulgar for the sake of being vulgar and always had a point/message.

Groucho Marx - Yes, Groucho was the most recognizable Marx Brother, but his uncanny ability to think on his feet and hit his target with stinging verbal jabs and one-liners helped him in my opinion transcend the team and have what was perhaps the greatest solo career of any member of a comedy team. When you consider that he embarked on his own at an advanced age it makes him all the more remarkable. One of the most intelligent and cerebral comedians of his time who could also get physical, Groucho deserves mention on any respectable top comedians list. Groucho Marx is the Muhammad Ali of comedy.

Jack Benny - Benny is the man who in my opinion created radio comedy. His humor to this day transports the listener into his world and soon enough you feel more like a spectator than a mere listener. That is special quality that comes around as often as Halley's Comet.

John Belushi - The quintessential fat slob comic, often imitated but never duplicated, Belushi's life and career were cut short by his own vices. Something tells me he wouldn't have had it any other way. Without Belushi Saturday Night Live would have been dead on arrival, and in addition to the awesome Animal House he was the one glimmer of gold in a few shitty movies as well.

Chris Rock - The funniest comic to come to prominence in the 1990's, Chris Rock is stellar at stand up while not so much at films. Every one of his HBO Specials have been a laugh riot and he is one of few capable of carrying the torch lit by Carlin and Pryor before him. "Books are like Kryptonite to a Nigga" indeed.

Charlie Chaplin - The Little Tramp was so good he didn't need to be heard to get his point across. The most recognizable and in my opinion funniest comic of the silent films era, Chaplin's comedy has withstood the test of time. His talkies are also very underrated.

Dave Chappelle - Often criticized for allegedly using race humor as a crutch, Chappelle has proven himself funny in other areas as well. It's a shame for us that the suits at Comedy Central wouldn't allow his sketch show to evolve from primarily race humor, and unfortunate for his wallet that Dave had the conviction to quit his show when he felt too constrained. 

Honorable Mentions: Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Lawanda Page, Redd Foxx, Eddie Murphy before the castration, Craig Fitzsimmons, Artie Lange, Sam Kinison
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Well Jim, I will admit some bias.  I tend to like older films way more than newer ones, and not just comedies.  I try to have an open mind, and yes, there are certainly films from the last 50 years I like, (or even past ten years, i.e. ALMOST FAMOUS and MEMENTO).  I do know that before I watched old movies, I wasn't into film, period.  I know I'm not a guy who in his teens watched whatever came down the pike and became a sudden film snob once I discovered old films in my twenties.  I think from a very simplistic point of view, I simply like the slower, more artistic editing in older films.  Newer films, especially since MTV came along, have mile a minute editing, and I feel as if my senses are being bombarded every second.  There's no subtlety.  Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but that's just a general observation.

As for comedians, I like the older ones who were more character oriented, and this character development came from years of training in Vaudeville or British Music Halls.  This type of training is simply not available for comedians today, and stand-up comedy, while an art form in itself, lacks the versatility of Vaudeville.

I like some newer/ish comedies, but the great comic characters, to me, came in the first half of the twentieth century, and like I said, it's the charcters I relate to the most.

As for listing a top ten favorite or even least favorite, sorry, I couldn't do it, and this is especially true in breaking up team members individually.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

I cannot list a favorite comedian.  I love many so much I can't rank them.  So, in my inimitable way, I will spew the negative and list the ones I don't like:

Walter Heirs
Tom Green
Adam Sandler
Bob Hope
Lucille Ball
Morey Amsterdam
Chevy Chase

I will not state these comedians are bad, because literally hundreds of millions of people alive or dead would disagree with me, its just these folks never made me laugh.  I do not like Jerry Lewis in films, but in his live TV appearances I think he is extremely good.

I'm kind of shocked that you don't like Lucille Ball as she is one of the funniest female comedians, in my opinion.

But my favorite comedian is Jackie Gleason. There are a lot more that I can list, but there's too many. My least favorite comedian is Adam Sandler. There's also more I can list here but I can't think of any others at the moment.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Lucille Ball was only as good as her writers. She was a comedic actress. Evidence is early vs. later "I Love Lucy" shows, "The Lucy Show", etc., personal appearances on "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson" as she grew older.

Unfunniest:

Conan O'Brian - Same old lame shtick night after night, with or without the lame NBC writers.

3 picks to go!

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline falsealarms

As far as "current" comedians - Will Farrell is tremendously overrated. I don't see what many do in him.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Lucille Ball was only as good as her writers. She was a comedic actress. Evidence is early vs. later "I Love Lucy" shows, "The Lucy Show", etc., personal appearances on "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson" as she grew older.

Unfunniest:

Conan O'Brian - Same old lame shtick night after night, with or without the lame NBC writers.

3 picks to go!

James

In regards to Lucy's later series, let's not forget that she was getting older.  Comparing The Lucy Show to classic I Love Lucy is like trying to compare the DeRita features of the 1960s to the classic shorts of the Curly and Shemp eras.  It's an unfair comparison.  As for Conan, Leno is the one I find a bit overrated.  I really couldn't tell the difference between The Tonight Show with writers, as opposed to the show without writers.  It was the same lame schtick either way.  The only feature from Leno to which I actually look forward is Headlines.  That always cracks me up.

As for the original question about comedians, I 'll stick to actual stand-ups.

THE BEST

The Smothers Brothers
George Carlin
Andy Kaufman
Bill Cosby (especially during the 1960s when he recorded his most classic material, i.e. Wonderfullness, Bill Cosby is a Very Funny Fellow, Right?, etc.)
Bob Hope
Bob Newhart
Drew Carey (Recently, I've really started to enjoy him, especially his sitcom, which I'm discovering more now in syndication.)

THE WORST

Carlos Mencia (By far, he is my least-favorite comedic performer.)
Carrot Top
Chelsea Handler (My friend Ron loves this women.  That said, her popularity eludes me.)
Kathy Griffin
Dane Cook
Cedric "The Alleged" Entertainer
MoNique
Eddie Griffin
Gilbert Gotfried

Some comedic performers, and comedy teams, I enjoy include the following.

The Three Stooges (Of course.)
The Marx Brothers
Laurel and Hardy
W.C. Fields
Abbott and Costello
Sid Ceasar
Jackie Gleason
George Burns
Stan Freberg (I LOVE his albums!!!)
Peter Sellers
The casts of both Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In and The Carol Burnett Show
John Belushi
Steve Carrell
"Weird Al" Yankovic
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline JazzBill

Funniest
Three Stooges as a team with Curly or Shemp
Marx Bros as a team
W. C. Fields
Jack Benny
Jackie Gleason as a team with Art Carney
Lenny Bruce
Richard Pryor
George Carlin
Cheech and Chong
Dave Chappelle

Not Funny
Jackie Mason
Jonathan Winters
George Gobel
Jerry Lewis
Conan O'Brien
Sinbad
Carrot Top
Andy Dick
Gallagher
Tom Green
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline busybuddy

I never said you weren't entitled to your own opinion, and I am also entitled to mine, which is Jerry Lewis sucks and blows. All I did was state my opinion. You can't post a list and not expect criticism for it, especially one as overtly biased and disjointed as yours. For example, I recently wrote a list of the gayest (lamest) things children are into. Within the article I laid down the criteria and explained my choices. You don't explain a single aspect of your choices; all I got from your lists is you really like the three comedy teams and pretty much hate anything that came out in the past half century.

As for Woody Allen, an explanation that  he did stand up previously would have been nice. As for his acting roles, I wonder if he would have been able to handle a role written by someone else (not trying to knock your choice, just thinking out loud). Personally I would place Woody Allen's comedic acting in the same of Dan Whitney: he plays basically the same role (squirrelly neurotic guy, where as Whitney plays a gas-obsessed redneck, both get women that are out of their league), only his character is smarter. The same can be said for the team comedians, but team comedy needs to be viewed in a different light. Comparing Curly Howard to Chris Rock (whom I enjoy, not invalidating your opinion just stating mine) is comparing apples to oranges.

Perhaps I'm in the wrong here and am being too anal-retentive, but the term "comedian" is different than the phrase "funniest people"...which is most likely where my overall confusion from your list comes from. I do believe that I have brought up an interesting topic of debate however, one that can give more life to this thread than the original premise of listing comedians or funny people. I'll leave it up to others to decide, and leave you with a list of my top ten comedians (for the suckiest comics see my upcoming article in the verbal garbage section).

George Carlin - Carlin has been consistently hilarious for 30+ years; his material and act have evolved over time and thus never get stale.  While his movie and television roles have been weak for the most part (with the exception of his sitcom which deserved more viewers than it received), his stand up specials on HBO are top notch.

Richard Pryor - Pryor was one of the most candid and refreshing comics of all time in his prime. Much like Carlin he was a ground breaker and a trailblazer, and nothing was off limits. From the general hypocrisies of the government and society, to his audience and even himself...nothing was off limits.

Howard Stern - Not a comedian in the truest sense of the word, Howard is a more of a satirist, and a very funny, articulate and intelligent one. Sure he can go low-brow with sex and flatulance, but he is also very cerebral, discussing the politics of the day and any major news stories as well. Most people dismiss him as a pervert or a deviant when in reality he is a man who is unafraid to speak his mind, no matter what may be on it. Howard is never vulgar or crass just for the sake of being vulgar or crass: there's always a method and meaning to his madness. He is also a whiz at making stars out of virtual nobodies; I can't think of anyone else who would have been able to make "Baba Booey" a cultural phenomenon, not to mention the assorted nuts in the Wack Pack. On top of all that it was Howard Stern who introduced me to the joys of lesbianism, and for that I'll be forever grateful.

Lenny Bruce - The comedian who paved the way for just about everyone else who came after him, Lenny is another trailblazer like the men ahead of him...only he paid the biggest price. Arrests and beatings abound for a man that dared expose the hypocrisy of the obscenity laws of his day, and managed to do so in an irreverent and intelligent way. Like Stern after him he was never vulgar for the sake of being vulgar and always had a point/message.

Groucho Marx - Yes, Groucho was the most recognizable Marx Brother, but his uncanny ability to think on his feet and hit his target with stinging verbal jabs and one-liners helped him in my opinion transcend the team and have what was perhaps the greatest solo career of any member of a comedy team. When you consider that he embarked on his own at an advanced age it makes him all the more remarkable. One of the most intelligent and cerebral comedians of his time who could also get physical, Groucho deserves mention on any respectable top comedians list. Groucho Marx is the Muhammad Ali of comedy.

Jack Benny - Benny is the man who in my opinion created radio comedy. His humor to this day transports the listener into his world and soon enough you feel more like a spectator than a mere listener. That is special quality that comes around as often as Halley's Comet.

John Belushi - The quintessential fat slob comic, often imitated but never duplicated, Belushi's life and career were cut short by his own vices. Something tells me he wouldn't have had it any other way. Without Belushi Saturday Night Live would have been dead on arrival, and in addition to the awesome Animal House he was the one glimmer of gold in a few shitty movies as well.

Chris Rock - The funniest comic to come to prominence in the 1990's, Chris Rock is stellar at stand up while not so much at films. Every one of his HBO Specials have been a laugh riot and he is one of few capable of carrying the torch lit by Carlin and Pryor before him. "Books are like Kryptonite to a Nigga" indeed.

Charlie Chaplin - The Little Tramp was so good he didn't need to be heard to get his point across. The most recognizable and in my opinion funniest comic of the silent films era, Chaplin's comedy has withstood the test of time. His talkies are also very underrated.

Dave Chappelle - Often criticized for allegedly using race humor as a crutch, Chappelle has proven himself funny in other areas as well. It's a shame for us that the suits at Comedy Central wouldn't allow his sketch show to evolve from primarily race humor, and unfortunate for his wallet that Dave had the conviction to quit his show when he felt too constrained. 

Honorable Mentions: Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Lawanda Page, Redd Foxx, Eddie Murphy before the castration, Craig Fitzsimmons, Artie Lange, Sam Kinison

I got the idea for this from a website that I saw a few months ago ( i can't find it now) and that's why I posted my version just for fun. I really didn't think it would be this controversial! :D I respect your opinions. But the Woody/Larry The Cable Guy comparison. . . I think you need to go rent a few of Woody's movies, just to see if you missed something. :D

Offline Hammond Eggar

What an interesting list.  All the usual suspects are pretty much included.  I was particularly intrigued by he way they could single out individual members of comedy teams such as the Three Stooges and the Marx Brothers.  Of course, Curly ranked the highest of our boys, while Larry came in ahead of Moe.  I do wish, though, that they had recognized Shemp's talents.  He certainly deserves to be on the list, and I'm not just saying that as a Stooges fan. ;)

EDIT: I went back and scanned the list a second time and discovered that both Bob Hope and George Burns are missing from the list.  These are two GLARING ommissions. :o
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)